RIP Rik Mayall

Maverick

• Paid Members

Was amazed it took a few posts elsewhere to get it's own thread. I'm pretty sure this forum collectively loves Rik Mayall and if you dont, you can bugger off now.

As i said to a friend moments ago, rarely am i arsed by celebrity deaths, but this feels like the legitimate end of a significant period of my life - i grew up as i'm sure many of you did with Bottom, The Young Ones etc. I've loved comedy my whole life, and Rik is the first comedian i ever remember enjoying and the only one i've ever enjoyed watching for so long.

I'll miss your work so much you musky minky sly old stoaty stoaty stoat.

Gutted.

As far as I am concerned The Young Ones, Filthy Rich and Catflap and Bottom are the greatest comedies ever. Plus he was awesome as Lord Flasheart in Blackadder.

He never quite seemed the same again after the quadbike accident.

True legend.

• Paid Members

Yeah, not good at all. A mate and I spent a chunk of school trying to perfect scenes/lines from Guest House Paradiso and their live shows.

I remember a bloke at work telling me he didn't find Rik Mayall funny. I think my eyes nearly fell out when he said that. Needless to say, he's a miserable sod.

• Moderators

Just read this on Astro's FB, I was totally in shock when I finished reading what he wrote as I was assuming it was just a "How good is Bottom etc" type post not that Mayall had died.

Bottom is my girlfriend's favourite comedy and it took me a while to watch it and enjoy Mayall's greatness, my naive eyes always thought it looked far too silly. Then I appreciated that. A big loss and highlights now how much of a shame it is that Ade wasn't on board to go ahead with Hooligan's island.

• Paid Members

I made the mistake of listening to "Living Doll" with Cliff and the Young Ones, and I couldn't make it through the intro without breaking out in tears. That was the first single I ever owned, as I loved Comic Strip and The Young Ones from an inappropriate age. These yanks will never understand.

• Paid Members

This sucks, I'm not exaggerating when I say I wouldn't be the same person if not for the influence of watching the Young Ones as a small child (not sure if that's necessarily a good thing though).

To me Rik Mayall was the funniest person to come out of this country, shit news.

Shit, just remembered how much I love the Comic Strip episode "A Fistful of Traveller's Cheques" :(

Archived