The biggest let down / failure

Winston

Black Scorpion: booked beautifully then the payoff is its Flair. At tje time fans had had enough od Flair Vs Sting

Luger vs Zuna ss 93. Luger needed to wim but instead after ll the build up we get a lame non title change finish

Hogan vs Flair 92. Wwf didnt use Flairs history so all they saw was a flabby 40 yr old with an un WWF physique challenging Hogan. End result = fans pissed all over it!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bret Hart's wcw run. Be it poor booking or lack of effort. My soul was crushed week after week as the hottest heel in the wwf would head to the ring to fight Van Hammer and the likes.

As always, we're getting about a million miles away from the biggest letdown. Chris Masters not being a top guy? Bulldog not setting the world on fire in his last WWF run?

It's obviously the Gobbledygooker.

Complete rubbish. Everyone knows the real winner of this thread was Alex Shane's BWC not taking off like he said it would.

Tazz in WWE, he was a killer in ECW with great promos and a cool catchphrase "Beat me if you can, survive if I let you!" He arrived at the Royal Rumble to a massive pop. handed Kurt Angle his first defeat and then...nothing.

I know his height was against him but I still feel a lot more could of been done, if they let him use his catchphrase and speak more on the mic I am sure he could of become a big player.

• Paid Members
You can't prolong a feud when there is such a disparity in talent. It's alright it being successful for a PPV or two but how can you extend it for months or a year, which is how long it would have been ideally, when there's such a gulf in talent? It'd do nothing but make the superior WWF talent look poor. Taking away the WWF defectors, who were the biggest names the Alliance had? Rob Van Dam? DDP? Booker T? They had nothing to offer and were a long, long way away from the likes of The Rock, Kane, Undertaker, Big Show etc.

There wasn't a huge disparity in talent. You've named three guys who, if booked well, were credible enough to have big matches with big stars. Two of them went on to be World Champion in WWE.

The problem was that they weren't prepared to pretend that any of the guys were on the same level as their guys. If they had done, they could easily have bought themselves time to establish the feud. They could have turned one or two guys over a few months and from the extra PPV revenue, started to pay out for some of the bigger name talent.

• Paid Members

They wasted about $60-odd million on the XFL and got nothing back. They could have got Goldberg on board without making a dent in their budget. Austin vs Goldberg would have did so much business for the WWF in 2001/2002. In a year when business fell. DDP vs the Rock, Goldberg vs Austin, Bischoff and McMahon dueling on the microphone. Then you could have brought Flair in, brought the nWo in, brought Sting in. That could have prolonged the boom period by another 18 months if they got this right. Its the storyline anyone could have booked.

Del Wilkes' WWE run..

I thought he would have been bigger than what he was

A total unmemorable damp squib

I always thought that was an utterly bizarre run. It probably didn't help that I just thought of him as Marcus Bagwell's tag partner, but the whole thing came out of nowhere. I get that they were playing into the USA/Canada issue, but he just didn't seem worthy of coming in at that level.

• Paid Members

Cornette brought him in. He tells the same old story of how he's trying to pitch ideas past the point of "American patriot beats Bret Hart and then loses to Bret Hart and leaves", but Vince Russo, Kevin Dunne and Vince McMahon had more Sable related issues to discuss. I'm certain Del Wilkes was brought in solely to shut Cornette up.

The Rocks return was fucking awful, in retrospect. A huge letdown.

He fluffed his lines; shilled his twitter account; was a bit homophobic; wasn't very good in the ring and got smoked on the mic by Cena.

#rubbish

The Rocks return was fucking awful, in retrospect. A huge letdown.

He fluffed his lines; shilled his twitter account; was a bit homophobic; wasn't very good in the ring and got smoked on the mic by Cena.

#rubbish

Yeah, I agree with this. His promo on his first night back was great but it was all downhill after that.

Can we have a Pleasant Surprises thread to counterbalance this thread when it dries up?

I always thought Punk's "it's clubbering time" thing should have resulted in him tapping his wrist and then being interrupted by the voice of Eric Bischoff telling Punk that he has "three minutes!" and a new version of 3 Minute Warning debuting by beating the hell out of Punk.

I loved 3MW.

Edit: I realise I'm probably the only person let down by that not happening. Would have been a good way to write Punk out too. Or even better if Heyman was still managing Punk just for the Bischoff and Heyman promos.

• Paid Members

Hakushi - didn't end up being the evil jap, anti bret that was required.

Glacier - fucking pure mints spent on an entrance for a complete gork

Ernest miller - bit if a dick, not a great wrestler but the personality and actual athleticism of a demon. Ended up always being an ugly cousin really.

kharma or whatever the fuck she was. I thought she would have been a flame up the diva arse, a new coming. Turns out not so.

Gutted to say, but a fat stalker. What the fuck was that gimmick really. For me, he was, and could have been a great signing. Turns out that big Barry just wasn't made for WWE

Archived