The biggest let down / failure

Winston

• Paid Members

Yeah it goes without saying that the Invasion angle had ridiculous amounts of potential but they blew it all in one month. You could of had 4-5 months of WWF vs WCW before bringing ECW into it later in the year...do a 3 way promotion feud WWF vs WCW vs ECW leading to the formation of the Alliance a few months later. The you've got Flair coming in at the end of the year which can draw things out longer...then the nWo in the new year before leading in to the eventual arrival of Bischoff and Goldberg. Literally hundreds of storylines could have played out over a year long period. It would have been the greatest year in wrestling history...

It's crazy to think what could have been.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the moment you realise its "fake" . Sure we kept watching, but that run up to when you thought it was real cant be replicated.

• Paid Members
I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the moment you realise its "fake" . Sure we kept watching, but that run up to when you thought it was real cant be replicated.

My Dad pointing out they stamped their feet on the ground when punching, during what was probably the second wrestling match I ever saw.

I've never really known that feeling. For some reason I just kind of always realised it wasn't completely real, possibly because the first sight of wrestling I ever seen was Big Bossman hanging from the HIAC right enough.

Weirdly I don't remember ever thinking it was 'Real' as such. But I still got outraged when somebody cheated. Or Mr Hughes attacked the Undertaker or something.

I think the bigger let down to myself was when I stopped just watching it as a show and started thinking about match quality, 'movez' and backstage politics.

If we're talking individual WWE careers as a failure, surely Mistico / Sin Cara needs to be mentioned...

Signed on big money, Triple H's pet project for a while, big push when he debuted, to botching on his debut, almost breaking Dolph's neck in a MITB match, drug suspensions, long injury lay-off, crying out of a match for hurting his finger, more botches, before quietly not having his contract renewed and being replaced by Hunico. For individual letdowns, that takes some beating.

Archived