The biggest let down / failure

Winston

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gutted to say, but a fat stalker. What the fuck was that gimmick really. For me, he was, and could have been a great signing. Turns out that big Barry just wasn't made for WWE

I remember Sunny coming out and cunting poor bazza off something rotten..

Something like you're not a stalker, you're just Barry Wyndam with make up or something like that

Then he became a new blackjack which also sucked balls :(

• Paid Members
Del Wilkes' WWE run..

I thought he would have been bigger than what he was

A total unmemorable damp squib

I always thought that was an utterly bizarre run. It probably didn't help that I just thought of him as Marcus Bagwell's tag partner, but the whole thing came out of nowhere. I get that they were playing into the USA/Canada issue, but he just didn't seem worthy of coming in at that level.

I missed every moment of WCW between about 1990 and early 1997, so I had no idea that The Patriot wasn't coming fresh from his feud with the Dark Patriot in Global. Always thought his WWF run was strange, but loved how cool Rick Rude looked casually tossing his coffee in Patriot's face.

Speaking of stalkers, DDP should probably be in this. I know it's been discussed to death but his WWF debut is still a good un. The way JR verbally runs him down and calls him a "sicko" whilst the crowd go nuts is a great moment.

Then it went to shit.

• Paid Members
I remember Sunny coming out and cunting poor bazza off something rotten..

Something like you're not a stalker, you're just Barry Wyndam with make up or something like that

Didn't they have Austin do pretty much the same thing on commentary? Talking about how it was clearly Barry Wyndham and he didn't get why they were calling him 'The Stalker'?

Didn't they have Austin do pretty much the same thing on commentary? Talking about how it was clearly Barry Wyndham and he didn't get why they were calling him 'The Stalker'?

I don't know who bazza had annoyed for him to receive such shitty treatment, or indeed, who saddled him with such an awful gimmick :(

I don't know who bazza had annoyed for him to receive such shitty treatment, or indeed, who saddled him with such an awful gimmick :(

I remember him coming out for his match at Survivor Series 96 when he was supposed to be The Stalker wearing a T shirt and camo pants with no face paint and a clearly pissed off Vince saying "The Stalker.............consumate professional"

Attitude era Bulldog was fuckingcrap, the jeans, the RAWisWAR T-shirts, the purple skin, the morphine addiction, the crack cocaine, the classic Bulldog interviews/promos (i.e. Dreadful) and the push to main event level which sadly didn't get over.

• Paid Members

It was supposed to be a more hardcore Johnny Rambo. He was supposed to have cut Sable's throat at the end of one Raw one time. Obviously that got nixed. I imagine she wouldn't have been dead in the next episode. Anything else would be madness.

You can't prolong a feud when there is such a disparity in talent. It's alright it being successful for a PPV or two but how can you extend it for months or a year, which is how long it would have been ideally, when there's such a gulf in talent? It'd do nothing but make the superior WWF talent look poor. Taking away the WWF defectors, who were the biggest names the Alliance had? Rob Van Dam? DDP? Booker T? They had nothing to offer and were a long, long way away from the likes of The Rock, Kane, Undertaker, Big Show etc.

There wasn't a huge disparity in talent. You've named three guys who, if booked well, were credible enough to have big matches with big stars. Two of them went on to be World Champion in WWE.

The problem was that they weren't prepared to pretend that any of the guys were on the same level as their guys. If they had done, they could easily have bought themselves time to establish the feud. They could have turned one or two guys over a few months and from the extra PPV revenue, started to pay out for some of the bigger name talent.

Except Booker T and DDP weren't making any money at that point, not to mention Rob Van Dam who was completely irrelevant, so it's not good business sense to put them over people like The Rock, The Undertaker and Kane who were all mainstream crossover stars who were bringing in huge amounts of money to the WWF at that point. The Alliance being booked strongly would have just made the WWF talent look inferior. DDP and Booker T were a long way away from Hogan, Nash and Goldberg, so it just makes the WWF talent look like shit to have the C-list Alliance start beating the A-list WWF talent. It'd be prolonging a feud which isn't making anyone look good.

WCW went out of a business because people stopped caring about the big names they had. To put it's second or third tier talent over the biggest names in wrestling at that point wouldn't just be nonsensical, it'd hurt business. Imagine Mark Hunt went to the UFC after Zuffa bought PRIDE and he'd ended up winning the UFC title and dominating it for a while, that'd just make the UFC talent look like shit and give the impression that PRIDE was better. C-list talent like Booker T and Rob Van Dam beating The Rock and The Undertaker would have had the same effect.

A feud which comprised of The Rock, Austin, The Undertaker, Triple H, Angle, Kane, Big Show etc. going up against Nash, Flair, Steiner, Hogan, Sting, Goldberg, Hall and DDP being supported by two tag and cruiser division etc. would have worked but the talent that the WWF acquired wasn't sufficient to prolong a feud.

Archived