RIP Ultimate Warrior

King Pitcos

I've got to say that Warrior's DVD is a fun collection - he had good chemistry with Rude and Savage. It's also heartbreaking viewing, not only because of Warrior's death, but because so many of the people featured are now gone too. It's mega depressing to watch the Wrestlemania 7 match knowing that Warrior, Savage, Sherri and Elizabeth are all dead.

As far as having the greatest look ever goes, how much more fucking boss can it get than Warrior at Wrestlemania 6?

wwf_wrestlemania_6_warrior.jpg

Edited by Vice

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd struggle to say Hogan vs. Warrior I is one of the best wrestling matches of all time, not because its bad, but because its something completely beyond a wrestling match. I don't really know what it is. Its like when you read about Ancient Gods battling each other and you can't quite comprehend how that would be because they're not human but something beyond that. And I don't think there's really ever been or ever will be anything like that again. You know with the matches people hold as classics, like Angle vs. Benoit at the Rumble or Rock vs. Austin at WM17 or whatever else you care to name, that there'll be something like that again. Maybe not as good, that's your opinion, but something resembling them in style and category. But I think it unlikely that anything will resemble Warrior vs. Hogan. And when I say this about Warrior vs. Hogan I'm not talking about its context or build up, I'm talking about just that match.

• Awards Moderator
I'd struggle to say Hogan vs. Warrior I is one of the best wrestling matches of all time, not because its bad, but because its something completely beyond a wrestling match. I don't really know what it is. Its like when you read about Ancient Gods battling each other and you can't quite comprehend how that would be because they're not human but something beyond that. And I don't think there's really ever been or ever will be anything like that again. You know with the matches people hold as classics, like Angle vs. Benoit at the Rumble or Rock vs. Austin at WM17 or whatever else you care to name, that there'll be something like that again. Maybe not as good, that's your opinion, but something resembling them in style and category. But I think it unlikely that anything will resemble Warrior vs. Hogan. And when I say this about Warrior vs. Hogan I'm not talking about its context or build up, I'm talking about just that match.

Well said. I've held it as my favourite match ever because I'm never going to be as invested in the outcome of any match ever again. My two favourites head to head? I couldn't comprehend how important that was. You also had the then rarity of face v face (or "fan favourite" as I read it somewhere.) It was unthinkable that Hogan could lose; Ultimate Warrior was unstoppable. The result was impossible to predict.

(Hindsight and wider knowledge of the time shows us just what a foregone conclusion it was in reality.)

As a piece of storytelling it's great. And the finish keeps both men strong.

Outside of this match, hell yeah Warrior was one of my favourites. He was just so ridiculously exciting. That clothesline was ace - bit of luck really as it's 50% of the act.

And he was easily the best pick on both WWF Superstars and WrestleFest in the arcades. That double clothesline was unbeatable.

I still lived in hope of a WWE run. One more explosive lap of the ring, one more violent rope shake, one more staggering-holding-the-ropes sell, arm-pump, clothesline x3, press 'n' splash and done. Sadly, not to be. But what an impact to have in such a relatively short run.

• Paid Members

Here's an amazing article from the brilliant Chris Harrington. Fucking fantastic stuff, even for him. Please check it out. Its got screen shots of contracts, steroid test failures and all sorts. Cracking stuff.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/ultimate-warrio...acts-career.php

This is the best bit. Look at this. Check the date. Its a contract offer from Vince McMahon.

warrior_dec1997_offer.png

I'm having a hard time picturing Warrior in the WWF in 1998.

• Awards Moderator
I'm having a hard time picturing Warrior in the WWF in 1998.

Jeeeezus. Clear up the timetable for me: he would have done this instead of his WCW run, right? I guess he took this to Bischoff who probably gave him $10m for one year or something equally ridiculous.

• Paid Members

Yeah. No WCW if he signs here. Look at the contract length, too. Warrior would have still been around in 2003 if all had gone to plan, which is mental to think of. The mentality is interesting. Vince was so desperate to get Bret Hart out of his deal and the month later he offers Warrior a contract? And if they signed Warrior, do they still pay the $3.5 million for Tyson? A lot of things could change if they sign Warrior.

What I think is amazing is WWF tried to snatch him before he joined WCW as well. WWF were on fire, knocking out monster business with Austin on top, yet he still wanted Warrior back. Vince must have loved having him.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Well it would never have lasted anyway. Ian, that is a really interesting point about Tyson. It's hard to fathom there being an attitude era with Warrior about, because you'd think he'd get in the way of some of the guys that did flourish then. His character and attitude made him a hard man to book in the competitive match TV era. Was Austin already doing the "that finish doesn't work for me, brother" gimmick by then? And Warrior wouldn't have fucked about letting Stone Cold get the best of him, so sorting out a match between them in 98-99 would've been a nightmare. If Jim had taken that contract, we might all be speaking Turner now.

• Paid Members

I cant see them bringing in Tyson if they brought the Warrior back. The whole build changes then. Maybe no casket match, because all the chess pieces probably get rearranged. Maybe no Shawn Michaels back injury. Then you have Shawn Michaels and Warrior to try and convince to do jobs. Then Warrior would have probably walked out anyway. Austin probably would have still got the belt, but do you still do Vince vs Austin? Or do they convince each other a Vince vs Warrior program steaming from their real life feud is the way to do? This all sounds daft, but 1998 changes if Warrior comes in.

We were talking in chat last week about the likes of Foley and Bret and the old peeking order thing, and this revelation about Warrior getting pretty much Bret's deal sort of sums it up. WWE now have all the legends, so its really interesting to see where things go with them. The Warrior thing just sums it up for me. They obviously could have afforded to keep Bret Hart, but Vince must have been thinking "get rid of Bret, and we can bring in the bigger star with the better look for the same money". Now with all the WWE legends, its cool to look at the way they are positioned. Hogan, Austin and Rock are obviously the big stars. Then there's the Shawn Michaels level. Then there's these big names that they'd have usually booked as proper names, but they cant even be arsed with them. They didn't even renew Foley's contract, because the Warrior took his place as ambassador. Bret Hart got the "sit down and wave spot". Piper looked like an old drunk stumbling on in that skit he did with Orndorff. The likes of Bret and Foley have turned into the Arnold Skaaland's of this era. Like when we used to watch WWF in 1995 and they tried to convince us Gorilla Monsoon and Jay Strongbow were bigger than Hogan and Savage because they were in WCW. Its like "we've got Hogan, Austin and Rock, we dont need those lot anymore".

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Imagine trying to get Bret Hart to do one of these promos like the old-timers were doing back then:

They really were a poor crop of legends, and I reckon they're partly responsible for why I can't be arsed with any wrestling from before I got into it. If you're a kid now and you see footage of Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior, you'd be impressed. But when it's just fat blokes doing headlocks in monochrome and telling you they didn't fly through the air, it just paints the picture of old wrestling being terrible.

Imagine trying to get Bret Hart to do one of these promos like the old-timers were doing back then:

They really were a poor crop of legends, and I reckon they're partly responsible for why I can't be arsed with any wrestling from before I got into it. If you're a kid now and you see footage of Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior, you'd be impressed. But when it's just fat blokes doing headlocks in monochrome and telling you they didn't fly through the air, it just paints the picture of old wrestling being terrible.

Aww, man, I disagree. I think that's an amazing promo bit there, one that sells the history and longevity of the WWF/E really well. Freddie Blassie comes across amazingly in all the stuff he did for WWF around that time. The motivational speech he gave just before the main event of the ?Invasion PPV was incredible with such gravitas.

• Awards Moderator

Listening to Heyman on Austin's latest podcast reminded me what a great stooge Heenan was for Warrior. He may have given him a pasting on the infamous DVD but the reaction shots, bumps and promos Heenan did really helped cement Warrior on his way to Hogan.

The reaction here at 2.28 cracks me up every time.

XKaJAt3.jpg

I'm not sure if this has been posted, and it comes as no real surprise really;

The WWE is helping Ultimate Warrior's wife cope with her husband's sudden death ... flying two senior WWE officials to Arizona to stand by and help her.

We're told the WWE sent the employees almost immediately after Warrior died ... their main task is helping his wife Dana handle little things -- grocery shopping, letting other family members know what's going on -- so she can focus on being with their daughters.

A nice touch on top of the financial help they'll most likely be getting as well.