UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't aimed at David but I really hate some of the MMA fan snobbery. Some of Leonard Garcia's fights are among my favourites to watch, what of it? I'm not ashamed to admit it and I couldn't give less of a fuck if people call me a 'Just Bleed' fan because of it.

I watch MMA like I watch any other TV show or sport, to be entertained. It's Mixed Martial Arts. It's the mix that I like most about it. I love that on any given show you can see a technical kickboxing battle, a grappling chess match, a clinch war, a wild crazy brawl, or sometimes a mix of all of that.

I bet there were some twats sitting there during awesome fights like Hunt vs Bigfoot, Hendo vs Shogun and Wand vs Stann - trying their hardest not to enjoy it and boring their mates about the lack of technique or cardio or whatever. Trying to hide the fact that, really, they're on the edge of their seat just like everyone else is. Just so they can be one of those superior technique dullards. Then when a Jake Shields or Jon Fitch is lying there in the missionary position for 15 minutes, these fans are bellyaching that people don't appreciate the technique. And if you say it was boring or shit they hit you with the old 'if you don't like it go and watch Kimbo's street fights on YouTube.'

It's so they can tell you that they're a 'real fan' because they appreciate "the intricacies of details of manouvres that you don't even know the names of" (trademark - Frank Mir).

If you look back I've mainly had gripes when guys get into a title picture when it isn't deserved. I'm an old-fashioned sports guy when it comes to title belts. I consider them sacred to a degree in proper sports. I want to see the best fight the best for titles, and I get pissed off when some guy who has no business being there manages to fluke his way in.

Aside from that though I'm more than happy to see all kinds of fighters fill up a fight card. I'd even go as far as saying that I'm disappointed when certain guys are let go after a couple of losses, as I feel that a fight card needs a couple of different aspects to be successful.

Is Mark Hunt ever really going to compete for a title? No, I don't think so. A Pat Barry? A Wanderlei Silva? Nope, but they all have a part to play in the success of a show.

That said, I do enjoy watching the competition between two high level grapplers, and I'll always be a fan of Jon Fitch, who was one of the best for years. By the same token I can understand why someone who maybe isn't as clued in on the actual intricacies of a ground fight wouldn't understand my way of thinking. MMA has attracted a fair amount of fans from pro wrestling, and with that comes a slightly uneducated viewpoint of the sport. They are able to understand the aspects of pro wrestling that fit into MMA, but when it comes to the actual nuts & bolts of something like a grappling match or a BJJ clinic they rarely have a clue what the fuck is actually going on.

They aren't as bad as the "just bleed" types who start booing and throwing their beer around, rather choosing to fire off a "thumbs down" email to ~DA MELTZ~, or smugly talking about how such guys won't generate "buyrates" or do "the ratings" any good.

In essence, they are the flipside of the hardcore MMA fan you're talking about. Two cheeks of the same arse, if you will.

Generally, most of us fall into the middle somewhere, appreciating exciting fights, but also recognising that as a "sport" there is a requirement to put the guys who are actually good at fighting into the title fights.

As has been said, we're on a run of the guys who actually deserve title fights getting them, plus we're getting some really exciting fights as well.

Long may it continue.

• Paid Members

Good post

They aren't as bad as the "just bleed" types who start booing and throwing their beer around, rather choosing to fire off a "thumbs down" email to ~DA MELTZ~, or smugly talking about how such guys won't generate "buyrates" or do "the ratings" any good.

This is the absolute worst & is the 'smark' fan hangover from pro-wrestling.

• Paid Members
MMA has attracted a fair amount of fans from pro wrestling, and with that comes a slightly uneducated viewpoint of the sport. They are able to understand the aspects of pro wrestling that fit into MMA, but when it comes to the actual nuts & bolts of something like a grappling match or a BJJ clinic they rarely have a clue what the fuck is actually going on.

I've seen you say this quite a lot, but I'm baffled as to what you mean. What are these supposed, "nuts and bolts," that people, "rarely have a clue," about? It just sounds like hardcore snobbery again. It's 2014. The UFC's been around for over twenty years, they've had thousands of events, TV shows, online analysis, video games, magazines, seminars, tutorials, etc. Even the most casual of fans is pretty fucking clued up these days. Exactly what is it that that this " uneducated viewpoint," is lacking? Genuine question. What mechanics of fighting do you believe people don't understand? Or is it just a matter of taste, and because someone finds something you enjoy boring, then you equate that to them simply not understanding it?

This is the absolute worst & is the 'smark' fan hangover from pro-wrestling.

Pretty much. That type of fan is just as bad as the hardcore MMA snob in my opinion. Usually there's something for everyone on a fight card, and although I'm prone to grumbling about a dodgy titleshot, by and large we all get at least one fight that we are looking forward to.

• Paid Members
by and large we all get at least one fight that we are looking forward to.

One?! Shit, I look forward to all of them :laugh: Now I've seen that tomorrows show is on at 9pm I'm even psyched for that, the wife's out & there's a shitload of xmas food & drink left.

by and large we all get at least one fight that we are looking forward to.

One?! Shit, I look forward to all of them :laugh: Now I've seen that tomorrows show is on at 9pm I'm even psyched for that, the wife's out & there's a shitload of xmas food & drink left.

Aye, us hardcores look forward to all of them most of the time, but I'm meaning the casual fan! :laugh:

I'm actually looking forward more to seeing Kawajiri make his debut than I was the Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman II fight! I'm not sure if that's something I should admit to though!

• Paid Members
That said, I do enjoy watching the competition between two high level grapplers, and I'll always be a fan of Jon Fitch, who was one of the best for years. By the same token I can understand why someone who maybe isn't as clued in on the actual intricacies of a ground fight wouldn't understand my way of thinking. MMA has attracted a fair amount of fans from pro wrestling, and with that comes a slightly uneducated viewpoint of the sport. They are able to understand the aspects of pro wrestling that fit into MMA, but when it comes to the actual nuts & bolts of something like a grappling match or a BJJ clinic they rarely have a clue what the fuck is actually going on.

All of us on here either are/were pro wrestling fans. I don't see why that excludes anyone on here from being educated about the grappling side of MMA. Or why they're less educated than you because of it. Not enjoying Jon Fitch's brand of grappling doesn't mean you're clueless about grappling.

Personally I love a good grappling match. Some of my favourite fights - Nog vs Barnett, Sakuraba vs Newton, Sanchez vs Diaz, Parisyan vs Diaz, Griffin vs Guida, Maia vs MacDonald, Hughes vs Trigg - were pretty much all grappling. And I love BJJ so much I've taken it up last year. I don't consider myself an expert or anything but I know what I'm looking at in regards to grappling and I understand what's going on. I'm sure most MMA fans who have watched for a decent amount of time are like that.

But when you watch a guy take another guy down and that's it for five minutes. Then rinse and repeat again the next round, and the next. Doing nothing of note, it's boring as fuck. It's no different than a striker who won't engage and just pops off a couple of jabs then backpeddles all night. Boring fights are boring fights and when a fight is dull I don't give a shit how much technique and little nuances are there, if it's a snoozer it's a snoozer.

Whether a fight is a standup, grappling or a mixture. Whether it's technical or sloppy. The absolute worst thing a fight can be, in my opinion, is boring.

Why is it that any time an MMA fan talks about star power or who could be a big star or whatever, the old 'thats your pro wrestling fan head talking' stuff gets thrown out? As if self promotion is exclusive to pro wrestling. It's the same thing Ali, Tyson, Leonard, Naseem and Mayweather did in boxing. Its no coincidence that those guys made big money in their respective heydays. And why Floyd is the biggest money maker in boxing today. Fitch was moaning last year about the money he didn't make in his career, maybe it's because more often than not he bored rigid the vast majority of his audience. The audience that ultimately pays his wages. He won fights in the dullest way possible, and was a wet blanket in his personality. There was just nothing there to make people pay to see him. If all these superior fans who supposedly loved him were packing arenas and tuning in for his fights in massive quantities, he'd have made a lot more money. But those superior fans didn't do that. They stayed at home and took digs at people for liking Garcia vs Zombie or whatever when they should've been appreciating Fitch spooning Ben Saunders for a quarter of an hour.

Not everyone is going to be a star I get that, a fair few of my favourite fighters aren't talkers or very charismatic. But MMA is much more fun with the Sonnens, Mirs, Barnetts, Rouseys, McGregors etc. And it doesn't make you a 'smark' to enjoy that side of MMA either.

Two cheeks of the same arse, if you will.

Generally, most of us fall into the middle

Basically, we're all arseholes :laugh:

• Paid Members

To be fair, those comments (at least the first dozen or so I've just read) aren't as bad as I expected.

I've no idea what this announcement could be though. A Nick Diaz return, perhaps?

EDIT: On topic, odds coming out for Weidman vs. Belfort reportedly have Weidman as favourite, and with the fight happening in Vegas, it means Vitor will be fighting without TRT assistance.

EDIT: On topic, odds coming out for Weidman vs. Belfort reportedly have Weidman as favourite, and with the fight happening in Vegas, it means Vitor will be fighting without TRT assistance.

Belfort has TRT exception so it won't matter that it's in Vegas.

I expect they'll do preliminary tests and random testing throughout his training camp, as long his testosterone levels are within allowed levels they'll let him have an exception. I seriously doubt they would set the fight for Vegas if they thought a fighter wasn't going to fight.

Archived