UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I love Pettis, but it does feel like he's always injured. And although he's fantastic in the cage, I don't think he measures up with Connor outside of it. Honestly, seeing him in Manchester, Connor is one of the most charismatic blokes I've ever seen. He's got absolutely everything.

EDIT: News out of Anderson Silva's surgery is that the first question he asked was when he can start training again. Wow. Also, check out this haunting quote from his doctor;

"If the skin had broken, an artery could have broken... and it could have resulted in an amputation..."

Fucking hell.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pettis is a charismatic and does have a good look, but yeah McGregor is more of a character, the guy is a walking cartoon. We will see how McGregor progresses as a fighter, but I did see some serious potential in his last outing, I think he will not need as much protection as some think.

I agree with what you said about Weidman, but some do see appeal. On Sherdog Radio they felt the All-Americian boy routine may have potential. Weidman is also a exciting fighter, it could just be establishing himself a bit more.

I did laugh and nod when you said "a bigger Franki Edgar"

• Paid Members

Frankie Edgar is quality. He'll never be a big draw and he's not an interesting personality, so from that angle I see the indifference. But he's been part of some incredible fights over the years. Not just the ones against Maynard either, although obviously they are rightly the most talked about. You can go right back to his UFC debut against Tyson Griffin, a fantastic fight. His fights with Sean Sherk, Matt Veach, Bendo (first fight) and Aldo were great as well. And I loved his fight with Charles Oliveira earlier this year. He's usually always fun to watch. Not everyone's going to be a charismatic star. But yeah, if the sport was full only of Edgar, Weidman, Velasquez types it would be a pretty dull sport to follow apart from the actual fights. There wouldn't be nearly as much interest or anticipation for fights if everyone was a mild mannered, quiet killer type.

As for McGregor, he's fucking money. Just look at him;

DC9368F2F29A3431B0CF41CB6F2B_h416_w442_m2_q80_ceBYrXVxw.jpg

conor-mcgregor-strip-club-Copy.jpg

conor-mcgregor-arnold-schwarzenegger-296x394.jpg

Little bastard's everywhere. How good he really is in the cage still remains to be fully answered until he steps up to the top 145ers, but I really hope he goes all the way. He's great for the sport. Exciting in the cage, awesome personality for the media, likable as fuck. He was on an Irish talkshow a few months back and I watched it on YouTube, he was in his element and the audience was loving him. He's perfect for that. If he makes it to the title level they can send him on the late night talkshows and everything and the Yanks will love him. He's Irish so that's half the battle won over there straight away, then his charisma will do the rest.

I've got a bad feeling he's going to falter though when he hits the very top level. I can see a guy like Chad Mendes or Clay Guida, for example, being too strong for him. It'll be fun to watch him try though, and you have to think 2014 is probably going to answer a lot of questions on just how good he is.

I've got a bad feeling he's going to falter though when he hits the very top level. I can see a guy like Chad Mendes or Clay Guida, for example, being too strong for him.

Pretty much. His biggest downfall is that he's Irish, which means he's not a wrestler. He'll be an exciting guy to watch, but he'll drop off at a certain point (top five would be my guess), but there'll always be the Diego Sanchez types who will provide interesting & fun fights for him.

As I've said before though, not everyone can be a top five championship contender. We need guys to headline FOX shows, and to co-main PPV's and suchlike.

• Paid Members

i think the UFC will be smart when matching up McGregor. There's no real need to throw him in with a wrestler now, match up him wisely and build his brand. Some people will moan at that, but they've gotta realise that McGregor is one of a select few who could genuinely be a PPV star in the company.

The good news is, there's not that many powerhouse wrestlers at 145, it's generally a division that consists of guys who prefer to strike. Just keep him away from guys like Nik Lentz, Dennis Bermudez, Chad Mendes, Clay Guida. Guys who can very exciting fights but would probably take great pleasure in exploiting the wrestling hole in Connor's game.

McGreger vs. Poirier/Swanson/Koch/Zombie/Siver. All great fights on paper.

• Paid Members
McGreger vs. Poirier/Swanson/Koch/Zombie/Siver. All great fights on paper.

I'd love to see all of them. And he's already started the ball rolling on a few - calling Poirier "Pea Head" and going on about Swanson's "15% body fat". McGregor vs Zombie could be all kinds of amazing if Zombie ever stays injury free long enough for the fight to materialise.

It's right really, there aren't that many wrestlers at 145. You're looking at the guys you mentioned and Frankie Edgar, and that's about it. He'll have to face them at some stage but hopefully by then he'll have beaten some of the Zombie/Poirier/Swanson lot and become a bit of a superstar anyway. So then a loss to a Mendes or whoever won't harm him so much.

Of all the wrestlers mentioned, if they have to put him against one soon, I hope it's Bermudez. The obvious reason is it would probably be a FOTY contender, Bermudez is one of the most consistently exciting guys in the UFC. But also, although he's a good wrestler, he'll go to war as well, so there'd be more opportunities for McGregor against him I reckon. I think it'd be a brilliant fight.

Just been reading on MMAMania that if you listen to the audio for Weidman's corner after Anderson broke his leg, you can clearly hear someone say "Good. Fuck him". I hope it wasn't Serra or Longo, I'd be surprised and disappointed if that kind of cuntiness was coming from them. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Weidman himself though. Remember after the first fight when the microphones picked up him calling Anderson a "disrespectful piece of shit"? I haven't heard the audio for this second one yet though so I don't know who said it. Dickish whoever it was though.

• Paid Members

it definitely wasn't Longo. I wouldn't read to much into that though, emotions are running high and the audio comes seconds after the injury, nobody knew at that point how bad Anderson leg was. That's something out of nothing.

• Paid Members

Yeah probably. Still though, emotions or not, it was clear something was badly wrong from the way Anderson went down. This is a guy who fought Chael for four and a half rounds with injured ribs and fought Travis Lutter with two fucked knees. For him to drop like that screaming, you know it's something serious. Especially a cornerman who would know all about what can happen in there.

The "disrespectful piece of shit" line from Weidman after the first fight, I thought was fair enough. Anderson had been taunting him mercilessly so in the heat of the moment I don't blame him revelling in a 'fuck you' moment one bit. This is different though if it's how it sounds. Whoever said it is a bit of a cunt for that IMO.

Just thought, a fight we're all forgetting for Conor Mac;

Anthony-Pettis-WEC-48-w-450x260.jpg

It's obviously a long way off, but just imagine that fight.

There are a few potentially awesome fights at 155 for McGregor. Diego Sanchez is the obvious one but imagine a McGregor vs Nate Diaz fight? I'd pay for the staredown alone.

Just been reading on MMAMania that if you listen to the audio for Weidman's corner after Anderson broke his leg, you can clearly hear someone say "Good. Fuck him". I hope it wasn't Serra or Longo, I'd be surprised and disappointed if that kind of cuntiness was coming from them. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Weidman himself though. Remember after the first fight when the microphones picked up him calling Anderson a "disrespectful piece of shit"? I haven't heard the audio for this second one yet though so I don't know who said it. Dickish whoever it was though.

I know everyone loves Longo & Serra, but I've never been keen on them, they always seemed like dicks to me. I was happy to see St-Pierre completely handle Serra in their rematch.

I also hope that Vitor kicks Weidman's head clean off. There's something about him I just don't like.

I know everyone loves Longo & Serra, but I've never been keen on them, they always seemed like dicks to me. I was happy to see St-Pierre completely handle Serra in their rematch.

I also hope that Vitor kicks Weidman's head clean off. There's something about him I just don't like.

I agree on there being something unlikable about Weidman, but Serra and Longo? They always come across as harmless to myself.

Oh and there is a reason I like slagging of Edgar so much

EdgarPennUFC118-396.jpeg

I would hope that Vitor would beat Weidman as well, but I only give his outside chance. I fear that Weidman is the real deal, mind you I could be looking back in 18 months time and think otherwise, its not 100% conclusive that Weidman will have a Jones or GSP type run at the top of 185lbs.

• Paid Members

Ronda Rousey's mom on the snubbed handshake at UFC 168;

"As I told the nice man from ESPN. Ronda is 26 years old and in a very public arena. If you think of all of the things you see from entertainers and professional athletes - DUI, steroid use, wild parties, drug rehab, multiple extramarital affairs and on and on. Or just think of the average 26-year-old. If you're a parent and the WORST thing anyone can say about your 26-year-old child is that he or she says "Fuck" and didn't shake someone's hand, you ought to go to mass, light candles, get down on your knees and say a prayer of thanks."

As for Weidman vs Belfort, like I said before, Weidman has a skillset which Vitor has struggled with in the past. If Weidman grapples a lot early on when Vitor is most dangerous he's likely to win because Vitor will probably fade. But will Weidman fade as well like he started to in the first Anderson fight? He looked fresh coming into round two on Saturday though, so I think the cardio problems in July were probably down to the year layoff. I think he'll beat Belfort but I'd love to see Vitor with the gold. His last title win wasn't a proper one with the eyepoke against Couture. And he's too good a fighter to retire without having legitimately held a UFC title IMO. You never know with Belfort. He's only lost twice since 2006 and they were to Anderson and Jones. You have to be a special fighter and on your game to beat the Belfort we've seen over the last 5/6 years. And where Vitor differs from Anderson is he's a faster starter. Anderson likes to find his range and settle into a fight, Vitor comes right out the gate to knock your head off. That might be what's needed to beat a fighter like Weidman.

I like Weidman to win though. Probably points or a stoppage in the championship rounds.

EDIT - Anderson Silva's looking happy

Bc7-M_6CQAA1bxn.jpg

Archived