UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

With all the talk of Anderson's noodle leg and Rousey vs Tate, I totally forgot about John Howard's sort of Death Valley Driver/Burning Hammer on Siyar during the prelims. That was pretty awesome.

That William Macario looked great as well. I didn't keep up with TUF Brazil 2 so he completely went under my radar, but he looks like someone worth keeping an eye on.

Bobby Voelker is being kept on as well, despite the 0-3 UFC record. I think that's fair when you consider he stepped in on short notice against Robbie Lawler in July and arguably should have got the decision against Cote before that. Fights his arse off as well, Voelker is insanely tough.

Anderson Silva's surgery was reportedly a success. And his recovery time is expected to be 3-6 months. Quicker than you'd think.

He'll not retire on that loss I don't think. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him face the winner of Weidman vs Belfort. By that time Weidman will hopefully have some real credibility, or we'll see Anderson vs Belfort again.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind seeing him face the man who said he'd return to fight him...

Nick-Diaz-UFC-137-weigh-in.jpg

I would never tire of seeing Anderson put him out cold.

Also, I actually watched the female fight. Here's my take on it;

First of all, Rousey doesn't take getting hit in the face very well. She turns away and seems to panic a bit. She also isn't much when it comes to takedowns. She looks as though she needs her opponent to be willing to attempt to clinch and take her down for her to do her judo schtick.

Tate, despite seeing Rousey in trouble at least once from a punch, decides to continue going for the takedown, and repeatedly giving Rousey her arm. It was like "hold on, you didn't get it last time, here, try again"!

I imagine that Rousey will eventually have to face a proper striker, and that's when she'll come undone I think. Hopefully at that point we see her retire to become a "big movie star" and the UFC can quietly shift the womens division to prelims and the occasional FOX headliner.

• Paid Members

I'd be well up for Anderson vs Diaz whenever Anderson heals up. That's the type of farewell fight that would work I think. Diaz or Bisping, in Brazil.

First of all, Rousey doesn't take getting hit in the face very well. She turns away and seems to panic a bit.

She definitely looks uncomfortable in the standup, yeah. She's doing the right things working with boxers and stuff but it's clearly not something she's comfortable with. That's another thing her and Brock have in common.

I imagine that Rousey will eventually have to face a proper striker, and that's when she'll come undone I think.

Maybe but they'll have to have an answer for her 'Judo schtick' as you put it, as well. But at least they'll have a punchers chance. Tate didn't really have the power to put Ronda in real danger. Cat Zingano, Amanda Nunes and Holly Holm are ones I'd give a decent shot to. All dangerous strikers and in the case of Nunes, she's big as well so could maybe do better in clinch positions defensively.

It's no secret that Ronda has work to do. She's only been fighting MMA a couple of years.

By that time Weidman will hopefully have some real credibilty

Hopefully at that point we see her retire to become a "big movie star" and the UFC can quietly shift the womens division to prelims and the occasional FOX headliner.

tupac.jpg

Picture Me Trollin'

• Paid Members

Dana has confirmed that Bobby Voelker will get another shot in the UFC despite being 0-3. Happy about that, Bobby was fighting through some advertisity on Saturday night, ive never seen anyone trying to whipe blood out of their eyes in one fight, guy is nails though.

oh, yeh and Howard's Death Valley Driver was awesome...Siyar needs to work on his conditioning.

It's gone unmentioned here, but Dustin Poirier stated that the reason he was so pissed at Diego Brandao wasn't because Brandao missed weight but because Brandao told Poirier before the weigh-in that he was going to "stab him in the neck", Dana also said Brandao has some personal issues he needs to sort out before making any kind of return.

As for Meisha/Ronda. You have to question Tate's gameplan, Ronda's throws were great but what was Tate thinking? it seemed like ego got in the way to me. Tate was having success striking but she seemed to want to land one or two then try taking Rousey down. Tate's a talented wrestler but she was having fuck all on the ground, the times she did get in an advantageous position Rousey escaped and put her on the defensive almost immediatly. It was a very entertaining fight but after round 1 Tate was in survival mode.

Maybe but they'll have to have an answer for her 'Judo schtick' as you put it, as well. But at least they'll have a punchers chance. Tate didn't really have the power to put Ronda in real danger. Cat Zingano, Amanda Nunes and Holly Holm are ones I'd give a decent shot to. All dangerous strikers and in the case of Nunes, she's big as well so could maybe do better in clinch positions defensively.

I'll be the first to admit, I've not been a follower of Rousey, but if someone can strike and keep at a distance she'll be fucked from what I've seen. She doesn't appear to have the ability to cover ground all that quickly, and her takedowns aren't up to much from what I've seen. Tate was basically giving her the takedown opportunities, wasn't she? She didn't seem at all interested in boxing from the outside and keeping her distance, winning points and frustrating Rousey.

• Paid Members

You're right but Ronda was outstriking her as well. Miesha isn't a striker, she's from a wrestling background so I guess whenever she feels like she's losing she'll instinctively revert to the takedown. It was obviously the wrong move against Rousey but she got cracked a few times standing and maybe that put her off striking. She'd clearly worked a lot on her submission defence since their first fight, so maybe she thought she could wrestle and stay out of danger. She didn't ever really have much of a route to victory. Ronda is just a bad match for Tate. Obviously you'd think her best chance would be standing but she's not a great striker herself and she'd been dropped and either hurt or stopped in her previous two fights, so maybe she wasn't that confident in her striking either.

The Compustrike stats have Ronda outstriking Miesha pretty heavily as well;

FM_Rousey-Tate.jpg

So it wasn't like Tate had a clear advantage anywhere. She probably thought as long as she scored takedowns and was on top, she'd win the rounds. But Ronda was better off her back, even with strikes, than she probably expected.

There were signs with Rousey though that I'm sure some of the other women will take confidence in. Ronda was looking tired after round 1, plus she's reckless at times. She rushes herself, doesn't look comfortable with striking (especially defensively) and she takes rookie chances sometimes. That part where she was standing over Tate eating upkicks was very risky.

I don't know about anyone else, but my boss never looks at me this way;

web1_MMA-UFC168ADVANCEFEATUREDEC27_122613DB_015_0.jpg

• Paid Members

It's truly amazing how similar Ronda and Brock are. She's essentially becoming the female version of him. Just like Brock, she's charismatic to an almost ridiculous degree, knows how to play her role perfectly, doesn't give a fuck if fans boo or cheer her and isn't going to partake in that ridiculous charade wherein you pretend to hate each other, then shake hands after the fight and admit it was all an act. Fuck that. They'll hate you for real, beat the shit out of you, then still hate you afterwards. Of course, this results in MMA purists crying their faces off. Boo hoo.

In the cage they're mirror images, too. They're both so tremendously gifted in one area that they're able to massively succeed despite a clear inability to take a punch. With any luck Ronda will have a similar career in that she'll keep winning, to bigger and bigger buy rates, with each opponent being viewed as the one who'll, "finally expose and dethrone"" her. Then when she finally does lose, and probably retire, all the mongs who once moaned about her will suddenly realise how boring and flat the division is without her. Dana will probably do that glum face again too. Hopefully we're years away from that moment. Right now, she's never been more needed. With everything that's happened, she's genuinely one of the biggest stars they have left.

It's mental how much things have changed. 2013 was supposed to be the year of the Superfights. We were going to finally see a GSP vs. Silva fight in a stadium. Fast forward twelve months and not only have we not seen them fight, but we'll quite possibly never see either guy fight again. What a crazy, crazy sport.

I am in the middle in regards to Women's MMA.

I care about Rousey but little else, the fight on Saturday I thought was top draw. However, sometimes if I am honest I do find the action a bit too sloppy and King Of Th Cage like elsewhere in the women's class. Its not because they are women, I cannot stomach some Heavyweight fights that display the same quality of talent.

Its all a bit amateur for my liking at this stage, as I am used to high technical level in 2013. In 2005 when I was watching the likes of Paul Buentello and Justin Eilers it was another thing, but know I have been spoiled a bit.

Then when she finally does lose, and probably retire, all the mongs who once moaned about her will suddenly realise how boring and flat the division is without her.

The big difference here of course, is that if and when she retires or loses no one will really care about how flat the division is, because apart from her no one really cares about female MMA. It's shite.

Archived