UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I really like John Pollock from The LAW/MMA Report's proposed tag line for this fight:

"Bronze vs Silver for the Gold".

UFC really should focus on that element and I think there will be a good bit of interest in this.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I really like John Pollock from The LAW/MMA Report's proposed tag line for this fight:

"Bronze vs Silver for the Gold".

UFC really should focus on that element and I think there will be a good bit of interest in this.

Whilst it does sound good cool, I don't actually think it's that great in reality. You just know someone out there will be saying something like "ah well, Bronze and Silver aren't that great of an achievement, why didn't they win the gold??"

• Paid Members
I actually think this will be Rousey's toughest challenge yet.

I agree. McMann is going to be the first real seriously high level athlete and wrestler Ronda will have faced in MMA. And she's not going to be easy to Judo throw around. She's obviously a way more accomplished wrestler than Tate.

Has anyone seen much of McMann's standup? If she's good and has some power this could actually be a rough night for Ronda because if McMann can defend the throws and hurt Ronda standing, that's a bad match for her on paper. That will always be where Ronda comes unstuck. When she's in with someone who can offset her Judo and who's also a better striker.

I hope not but if McMann has good striking and Ronda can't take her down, this could potentially go something like Cain vs Brock. And then Dana will be doing that face again.

I'm actually quite surprised by Mcmann's lay off too. I actually saw her fight in person at UFC 159 in New Jersey in April and whilst the fight was boring, she was utterly dominant with her wrestling on another level.

I actually thought people were harsh saying it was boring. She got a first round stoppage, it wasn't like she wasn't working. Rogan was talking about the ref standing the fight up about less than a minute after they hit the floor as I remember. Which is weird because he's usually the first to complain at early standups. I didn't get the criticism to be honest. It was early in the fight, it's like people expected a finish within 20 seconds of the fight hitting the mat or something.

• Paid Members

To be fair, I never re-watched the event after coming back from my honeymoon, mainly because the whole thing sucked balls. There were a lot of boos running around and I was half paying attention to it. I just remember when Mcmann was getting the takedown I can't remember much work happening on the ground.

• Paid Members
the more is see of his recovery, the more im convinced he will come back.

The thing is, for me, its not a case of how Anderson looks to be recovering, its more a case of at his age, is it really worth it?

Despite the injury looking disgusting, from a healing perspective its not really that bad. As far as I'm aware there was no ligament or tendon damage and it was a straight break.

Anderson could potentially be 40 years old by the time he is ready to return. Between now and then he will spend serious time with his kids and its this time where he may begin to feel that fighting on is simply not worth the risk.

He would have to change his style too as i don't believe for one second he would consider leg kicks again. Anderson does still possess the skills to simply use his hands, but it would require a big readjustment in his game.

I really do hope we see him again though as the man deserves to go out in style.

• Paid Members

at first i thought that was it, but it all just feels everything's pointing towards a comeback. I guess the scale of it is the question, Anderson's been on the verge of retiring for a while, maybe it's all gonna be a case of coming back for one last fight, im pretty sure the guy doesn't want his final act in the cage to be him leaving on a stretcher.

• Paid Members

When it happened, I didn't think there was a single, solitary chance we'd see Anderson return. But yeah, with everything that's being reported everywhere, it definitely looks like he's coming back. Reportedly, his management are pushing for a GSP fight as a potential return, too. I'd love to see him back. It'd be really shit for him to retire going out on a stretcher.

Can you imagine if he did return and they played videos like that leading into it? It'd be the biggest thing ever.

• Paid Members

Being a twat and quoting myself here, but less than 24 hours after the fight I said this;

Still, I'll predict right now - this won't be the last we see of Anderson in the octagon. I can see in a year down the line or something, him coming back to end his career on his terms. My Bisping fight in Brazil idea maybe. Possibly even that Roy Jones boxing match he's so stiff for. Something like that. It would be a long road back and maybe he won't have the desire to do it. But I think at some point he'll get the itch to come back and end things properly. For closure as much as anything. Ricky Hatton style, hopefully minus the losing.

And I've seen nothing to change my mind since. In fact, everything we are hearing from the people around Anderson is that he's determined to fight again. Almost right away he was badgering the doctor about possible timetables for him to return to training. He's coming back, believe that. Even if it ends up just being a one night farewell thing.

Like everyone else, when the injury happened my first thought was 'he's done'. But by the next day, I just couldn't fathom Anderson Silva accepting that as his career ending moment. He's got too much pride/ego whatever to go out on a fucking gurney screaming his head off.

A lot can happen in a year, but if the top names who are around now are still around in a year's time, I'll say again, Michael Bisping and/or Nick Diaz would be ideal return fights for him. Very winnable, but would still be exciting and their names/personalities would make those fights appealing.

I've seen the stuff from Anderson's people saying they'd like to set the GSP fight up on Anderson's return. But I can't see that ever happening. I just think GSP is not into fighting anymore and I think this break is going to ultimately turn into a full retirement. And let's face it, even when GSP was in love with MMA and on top of his game, he still didn't want the Anderson fight back then. So I have no reason to think he'd want it now.

That's the big difference with the Anderson and GSP comeback talk IMO. Anderson clearly wants it. He might've been talking retirement before but it's telling that his first thought after the injury was all about coming back and when he can train again. Everything you hear is positive and all about what he's going to do, not dwelling on what he can't do right now. He clearly still loves MMA. With GSP I just get the feeling he doesn't love it anymore and he's over it. And if that's how he feels he's probably better off just enjoying his retirement, banging models on stacks of money to the sounds of French rap. If he was still into fighting, now more than ever he'd be on a mission to prove the doubters wrong about the Hendricks decision. The GSP of 2008-10 would have been obsessed with that and wanting to show everyone who the boss was. But there's just nothing. Everything he's said about fighting since the Hendricks fight, and even before, has indicated he just doesn't enjoy it anymore.

Anderson's the total opposite following 168. It wasn't long ago Anderson was asking for a 10 fight deal. I think he throws the retirement talk out there to grab headlines sometimes more than anything.

He'll be back. How much he'll have left is anyone's guess and I think lamby makes a good point on the age thing. But I'm convinced he'll fight again.

I can see Anderson coming back for one more fight vs Jon Jones or someone else in a superfight as a big pay off before retiring. I do think a lot of his options for a super fight have diminished since GSP has left, so that just leaves Jones or maybe Machida.

Coming back and fighting Jon Jones would be a huge mistake, and one I'm sure Anderson wouldn't make.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think at this stage, coming back from that kind of injury and a big layoff to fight Jones would be disastrous for him. He might be paid well but it doesn't seem like it's so much about money at this point for Anderson. It's about ending his career on his terms, and I think getting beat down by Jones after going 0-2 to Weidman would be sad. He'd probably rather just not come back at all than come back for that.

I can't see his comeback being a long term thing, or one last run or anything. I think it'll be two, maybe three fights tops. Against favourable opposition. In Brazil. Again, Nick Diaz and Bisping would be ideal. And then maybe finish up with the Roy Jones fight he's wanted for years.

Then again, it's a nutty sport sometimes. Say Belfort comes out and just destroys Weidman in 30 seconds in a few months. Then defends the title a couple of times. If Anderson returns, say early 2015, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could challenge Vitor for that title. Sounds mad but it could happen. Ideally you'd rather Anderson take another fight before jumping into a title fight, but fuck knows.

Archived