Clocks Go Back at 2am Sunday!

bAzTNM#1

I hate winter.

Yeah, it can be pretty with the leaves and that. And fresh snow looks just magical for about 10 minutes before it turns into shitty grey slush and ruins everything. But I detest it being dark when I go out in the morning, dark when I get back in the afternoon. Wrapping up warm is a pain in the arse and constantly getting drenched when you go outdoors is fucking miserable. This year I've got the added pleasure of being a new driver and having to contend with the ice and snow as well. Roll on spring I say, so I can get back to dressing like a proper person again in shorts and a T shirt.

Love winter. :thumbsup:

Prefer it being cold, less kids making noise (i live on a street where one house has nine fucking kids under 10) dogs inside meaning less dogs barking (EVERYONE has a dog), less people with windows open playing dreadful music and it means we're getting closer to christmas. Win Win!

But I detest it being dark when I go out in the morning, dark when I get back in the afternoon. Wrapping up warm is a pain in the arse and constantly getting drenched when you go outdoors is fucking miserable.

This is it. For me, trudging down long, lifeless industrial roads in the pitch black through slippery, sludgy icy slush in the mornings, penetrating my already uncomfortable steel toe capped boots, setting me up for a day of cold, soggy socks in a laboratory with no windows, until home time, where the process is repeated in reverse, and again, in darkness is an utterly depressing experience. Wind, rain, darkness. What a prospect.

Looking at the positives, at least winter provides favourable conditions to us problem sleepers. The cold and darkness are much more preferable to uncontrollable heat and sunshine beaming through the window at 5am.

• Paid Members

I'm with Devon on this. I like to see the sunshine and it puts me in a good mood but when it's 30+ and my clothes are stuck to me, my skin is frying. I'm grouchy, pink faced and paranoid with worrying that I smell of sweat. I can't sleep because my room feels like a sauna even with the windows open and the fan on. And someone goes "lovely weather isn't it?", and I want to scream. But I haven't even got the energy to do that. Add to that all the fat bastards get their cellulite out and wobble around the shopping centers like pigs on their hind legs. There's nothing to like about it for me. I can't see how anyone can actually like being that hot.

I like the sun around May time, but when it's uncomfortably hot in July/August I get proper grumpy. Although to be fair, summer has been more bareable in recent years I reckon. I remember when I was a kid the baking hot weather seemed to start in April or May and go right through to September. Now it's basically a week of scorching heat followed by a few days rain to break it up.

I like winter. I love Christmas, Halloween, Bonfire night etc. I like the snow. Don't mind rain. The only thing I hate with winter is, as Philo said, going out to work when it's dark. If there was some way to get the sunshine without the searing heat, I'd be happy with that all year round.

The Summer vs. Winter debate is solved by one simple fact: I can always put on more layers but there's only so many layers I can take off.

And I say that as someone who gets really painful fingers in the cold, even with gloves on.

Jesus Wand, you live in Britain do you aye? This past summer has been the best (and only) one for about 10 years as far as weather goes. ;)

I suppose that being surrounded by water and being a lover of outdoor swimming, I'm bound to be biased towards those sunny summer days. This past summer, we could even swim in the dark of night, and the water and general atmosphere was still pleasent. Barbeques twice, sometimes thrice in a week, sitting outside the local with a cold pint, surrounded by women (who seem to appear from nowhere when its sunny), and having the freedom to go for walks or go exploring at any time of the night in complete comfort, peace and relative solitude make summer the season for me.

Will Smith pretty much summed it up in 1991.

• Paid Members

Not looking forward to the getting up in the cold and dark, driving to work in the cold and dark, then coming home again when it's cold and dark.

I still prefer Winter to Summer. Plus there's always a chance school will be closed if it snows!

• Paid Members

There's something strangely nice about leaving work when it's dark, I don't know why. Being able to put on your big coat and scarf as you leave the office as well. I like this stretch of winter from late October until the New Year, always exciting. January is just fucking depressing, though.

Archived