Riddick Bowe to make pro wrestling debut in 2014

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

From PrestonCityWrestling.com:

Former Heavyweight Boxing Champion Riddick Bowe to make wrestling debut for UK based Preston City Wrestling

The UK based wrestling promotion Preston City Wrestling announced today that former Undisputed World Heavyweight Boxing Champion Riddick Bowe will make his wrestling debut for PCW in 2014. Company officials have exchanged contracts with Mr Bowe

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm going to ask the obvious one. How the fuck is this manageable? An old boxer doesn't wrestle for an indy in England for bread and drippings. Especially a one who is at the stage of the game where the only motivation for leaving his house is money. Is he even allowed to leave the country to work over here? WWE has a shit load of trouble bringing over Booker T. Who's sorting the paperwork out to bring in Riddick pissing Bowe. Unless he's doing something else over here and is popping in to fuck about on the bouncy ropes like most celebs do on small time indies. There are so many questions regarding such a crazy announcement as this. Call it skepticism because my first thought always goes to the "all promoters are cunts" area, but this is an unsettling idea for anyone who doesn't want to see promotions promote people in his condition. Especially in this day and age where hiring brain dead zombies is discouraged heavily by the industry leader. WWE has their students using helmets when bumping, because those bumps can fuck you up. Bowe's got the head start of them, because he already talks as if he's got a mouth full of marshmallows. He's a deck of cards just walking to the shops, so what possibly could this bloke do in the wrestling ring aged 46 and looking like he's eaten the Junkyard Dog.

Bowe is also a real piece of shit, so there's no way I'd ever support something involving that cunt, but fair play if its a success. If you want to exploit damaged old boxers who need the money, I suppose he deserves no sympathy, but I would have preferred them to bring over Hardbody Harrison instead. They both share the same interests. I do hate that we live in a world where there is an uproar over poor Michelle Thorne appearing for a promotion, yet Riddick Bowe is being used as a way to gain publicity in the media to increase awareness.

I'm worried for Chilli and his little comedy videos to be fair. I can see him saying "can we have Klondyke Kate playing the role of the wife you battered" and then Bowe just snapping his neck.

It's a bold move to get Riddick Bowe over and I'm guessing that part of it is to do with increased awareness as well as sensationalism. Bowe is a massive name and it's a ballsy risk especially considering his trouncing at Muay Thai, here

PCW had attention to a degree when Morrison wrestled at Xmas 2012 and then again with the featured Masters bouts, then the Steiners and Michelle Thorne, making it to the Daily Star amongst others It has a blossoming rep over in the states, and am sure someone has posted on FB or Twitter that X-Pac and William Regal amongst others are beginning to sit up and take notice. It is getting to be a bigger thing, than just a Britwres company, heck Masters puts it over talking to Bill Apter

(about 90 secs in) and even Goldust bigs it up when he can.

With ICW and PCW both making massive strides it's good to see Britwres in such a good way. As long as Bowe's debut isn't a Freddie Flintoff disaster then or worse, he does a Yokozuna, then it's win win and will certainly get cross appeal and to a wider audience then it usually would. I will be paying attention to how this develops.

I'm expecting a car crash of a fight, whoever is in there against Bowe at the time, however it's something that will get people talking either way.

I wonder how this even came together. I can't imagine any promotor trying to convince Riddick Bowe to become a Professional Wrestler for the day. Neither can I imagine Riddick Bowe contacting Preston City Wrestling for a payday. Are these events still going to take place inside nightclubs or are they branching out?

I'm interested to see how this pans out. I thought the Lembit Opik match of last year with Welsh Wrestling went down well, hell it made the actual news! Best of luck to PCW! Hopefully it'll show British Wrestling in a positive light.

Rockstar Spud has more Twitter followers than Riddick Bowe mind, maybe they should fly him over instead?

• Paid Members

Bowe must be on his arse financially, he even had a Muay Thai fight the other month. That went about as well as this probably will. He was a great boxer in his day but his day was the early 90s and he's been damaged goods pretty much since then.

I don't know anything about this wrestling company, or the British wrestling scene these days in general, but it's hard to see how this really pays off for them. Like said he won't come cheap, and really what British wrestling fan in 2013 will care about seeing a fat, old, broken down, slurring boxer? A big chunk of the audience probably won't even know who the bloke is, they'll probably think it's Sir Mo after a stroke. And like Ian said, he's physically fucked. If he gets seriously injured, which looking at him lately even a hip toss would probably off him, they don't need the publicity of crippling a former world champion boxer. Obviously he'll be doing very little, he won't be expected to pull off a Steamboat-Flair type match, but he's such a wreck even a flat back bump could be the straw that broke the fat old boxer's back. And he's not the most mentally stable bloke, he's a bit of a liability all round I think.

I wonder how this even came together. I can't imagine any promotor trying to convince Riddick Bowe to become a Professional Wrestler for the day. Neither can I imagine Riddick Bowe contacting Preston City Wrestling for a payday.

For the past several weeks now Bowe has been talking about wanting to do wrestling so I'd imagine PCW heard he wanted to wrestle and decided to approach him.

I wonder how this even came together. I can't imagine any promotor trying to convince Riddick Bowe to become a Professional Wrestler for the day. Neither can I imagine Riddick Bowe contacting Preston City Wrestling for a payday.

For the past several weeks now Bowe has been talking about wanting to do wrestling so I'd imagine PCW heard he wanted to wrestle and decided to approach him.

Nope. The other way around.

Yeah he put on Twitter he wanted to wrestle and also put a contact email for his agent if anybody wanted to book him

Having met Fludder a few times and hearing him brag about stalking WWE wrestlers at hotel rooms while wearing his fake championship belts and treating being told to fuck off by Punk at 1am while the poor bloke was trying to go to bed after wrestling at a show as a badge of honour, I'm not surprised pond life like him would book a piece of shit like bowe. I know promoters need to make money, but shouldn't there be a morale line? Hopefully this backfires spectacularly. Otherwise we'll be looking at Kevin Webster vs Rolf Harris main eventing the next PCW show. Prick.

Having met Fludder a few times and hearing him brag about stalking WWE wrestlers at hotel rooms while wearing his fake championship belts and treating being told to fuck off by Punk at 1am while the poor bloke was trying to go to bed after wrestling at a show as a badge of honour, I'm not surprised pond life like him would book a piece of shit like bowe. I know promoters need to make money, but shouldn't there be a morale line? Hopefully this backfires spectacularly. Otherwise we'll be looking at Kevin Webster vs Rolf Harris main eventing the next PCW show. Prick.

Kevin Webster is in Germany looking after his Dad. Michael Le Vell will be returning to Corrie soon. Don't know why you brought him up.

Archived