Riddick Bowe to make pro wrestling debut in 2014

Big Benny HG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This is in the Observer update:

--So somebody brought this up asked Konnan about that this morning and he wrote, "Obviously he needs paper." Well, Riddick Bowe saw that and responded, "Obviously you need my fist up your ass. Who doesn't need paper Einstein."

Good to see he's matured in his old age.

I want to know who hires Riddick Bowe for a speaking engagement and who goes to watch it. I'd be more confident of him working a match than I would him stringing a sentence together. Isn't he in a vegetative state 5 days out of the week, these days?

To be fair, doing boxing-related speaking engagements and personal appearances is a world away from trying to take part in a wrestling match down the local community hall, isn't it? He was, after all, a boxer, so for him to follow in the footsteps of other former boxers is logical.

This, however, isn't.

I don't know much about Bowe's history, but the fact that this news has gotten people talking and PCW is being mentioned on news sites that normally wouldn't report on them shows the announcement is having the desired effect to generate more attention toward the company.

We don't know the in's and out's of the deal financially but time will tell how good a bit of business this is.

• Paid Members
I don't know much about Bowe's history, but the fact that this news has gotten people talking and PCW is being mentioned on news sites that normally wouldn't report on them shows the announcement is having the desired effect to generate more attention toward the company.

Ahh, the 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' defence.

As someone who isn't a boxing fan but knows of Bowe just from growning up and hearing his name mentioned quite frequently the first thing I thought was "blimey, that's a pretty big deal". I had no idea of his legal or health troubles though. I guess it all depends on how the press want to play it though. If they're pro-Bowe and the match goes ahead without issues it'll be a nice bit of publiicity for them.

Ahh, the 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' defence.

Not a defence, just a statement of fact. A lot of people believe no publicity is bad publicity and the more controversy the more interest it will get get.

They aren't bringing Bowe in to have a long run or a great match, it's pure publicity and that's what they'll get.

• Paid Members

Compared to some of the shitarses who regularly appear up and down the country I am sure Bowe will do fine. He at least has been a professional athlete even if he is not now. Jonny Kickpadz and co usually have not seen a gym and go out to the ring and do a shit load of MOVEZ in front of 8 people. Fludder is not going to have Bowe doing moonsaults to the outside is he.

My problem with this, as a huge PWC fan who spends a lot of money follwoing them, is that I don't waant to see Riddick Bowe. Regardless of his past, I'm not a boxing fan and would rather PWC spent the money on a big name wrestler or use it to fly in the Bucks/Steen in etc.

Bowe might get more eyes on the PWC website and a few mentions on national media, but they won't be selling more tickets or DVDs on the back of it.

Monumental waste of money on someone the majority of PWC fans aren't interested in seeing.

• Paid Members

Such a massive fan that you can't get the initials in the right order. I here that Preston Wrestling City is a bit shit.

Riddick Bowe is not there for the people who are already fans, he is there to get some publicity for the promoter to try and reach out to new fans. We will see if it works, Fludder usually has his head screwed on right.

Regardless of his past Bowe won't put bums on seats. He'll get the website more hits but in 2013 I doubt any boxing fans give enough of a shit about him to go and watch that fake shit they usually look down their noses at. They should have gotten Billy from Big Brother or falsely advertised Ricky Hatton.

Archived