Dreams.

John Matrix

• Paid Members
A smackhead-looking fella came up to me on the road on Monday, and I thought he was going to launch into one of those "I need to get back to Chester tonight and I've been mugged" stories. But he didn't. He said "I had a dream last night and you were in my dream. And you know who your girlfriend was? Katy Perry."

I can't describe exactly why or what it is, but God I love this.

It was me talking about sleep and dream shit a few weeks or so back. I'm massively fascinated by it all and the unconscious mind and opted against starting a thread because i'd probably ramble on about shit forever and I've got some theories that would likely make you all think i'm quite insane.

Air_Raid, I've heard/read that the teeth falling out thing is Family worries, rather than money. That something bad is about to happen to someone in your family or someone you care about. The Sopranos dream episode had Tonys teeth continually falling out if I remember correctly and again if I remember correctly it was that theory it was referencing.

• Paid Members

On average, I'd say I have the teeth falling out dream three or four times a month. Been like this for years now, and I've no money or family worries to speak of. It's gotten to the point now that I actually realise I'm dreaming when this happens and instead of panicking like I used to, I think "oh for fuck sake, not this again."

• Paid Members
Air_Raid, I've heard/read that the teeth falling out thing is Family worries, rather than money. That something bad is about to happen to someone in your family or someone you care about.

I'm more a subscriber to dreams as "what your brain is doing" rather than premonitions. I've got a couple of books about it, and it's pretty scary how often the analysis fits what's going on in my life/head at the time. I can understand why people might dismiss it as "bollocks/coincidence" though.

• Paid Members

I'd just like to add another piece of art depicting sleep paralysis of either Japanese or Korean origin. I forget which. It's a wonderful piece of work - although I've never suffered from sleep paralysis it's a fascinating phenomenon which I'd like to experience just once. I'm sure I'd think far differently if I ever actually experience it however! Terrifying but fascinating is how I imagine it anyway. Like demons breaking through the barriers into this world.

387049_10152464689670650_316433357_n.jpg

• Paid Members
On average, I'd say I have the teeth falling out dream three or four times a month. Been like this for years now, and I've no money or family worries to speak of. It's gotten to the point now that I actually realise I'm dreaming when this happens and instead of panicking like I used to, I think "oh for fuck sake, not this again."

I think this is a pretty common one right? I still have that pretty often, although more recently it's been eclipsed by a reoccuring dream in which i'm chewing on my tongue like it's a giant ball of loose flesh until i eventually bite through and lose it completely.

I've had a bout of sleep paralysis once, before we moved to our new flat. It was pretty grim, especially because it started while I was asleep and continued into waking. I occasionally have that "lucid dreaming" moment where, if I'm having a pretty shitty or fucked-up dream, I'll wake myself up. In the dream I was lying on the floor somewhere, with something that I can only describe as looking like the front half of a dog crawling up me towards my mouth (I have a recurring dream thing about things trying to get into my mouth), so I woke myself up, saw I was back at our flat but the half-dog was still there and i was totally paralysed. My wife had to shake me out of it because I was screaming with my mouth locked closed.

I get a less freaky version of this, kind of combined paralysis and lucidity, when I try and walk in dreams. Last night, I dreamt I was holding up traffic trying to cross a road because my feet felt so heavy and my legs felt like they were moving through concrete. I know I'm dreaming then, so I let it pass. Running or flying dreams I never have this problem. I had a Parkour-style running dream set in a crazy bright fantasy world like Final Fantasy meets Avatar meets Myst, in a gold and marble resort on a never ending mountainside beside a waterfall. Amazing stuff that leaves you waking up feeling energised, positive and happy.

• Paid Members

I dozed off on the sofa earlier. I dreamt that basically...I was Phil Mitchell. I was seemingly in his other gaff he has when he fucks off for a bit (I don't even know if he has this, I don't ever watch Eastenders, but in my mind he does at least from when I have seen it). It was a house that was clearly a spare place to get away to with not much love given to it. I was lying on a bed with a nice young lady (I don't know who) and was about to get up to some hanky panky but didn't because she was being a moanyarse. I went through some post and had something in one that reminded me of Phils son Ben who I never see any more because Kathy has got him. There was pics on the cabinet of me and Kathy which young lady was getting a bit moanyarse about. She noticed me (Phil) getting upset at what I was looking at from the post and then she wanted to get frisky again like a typical crazywoman but I told her to do one because I was all emotional but refusing to show it or let anyone in Phil style. Then I seemed to be me all of a sudden and was having a nose round and asked young lady how much she reckons the place cost him (Phil). There was about a million Dominos flyers through the door where the place had been basically abandoned for ages, a Dominos woman just turns up in the house and apologises and says she'll stop them getting posted through the door. It took me three times to understand what she was saying.

So...um, yeah that was a weird one. Fuck knows what's going on in my head there. Maybe that i'm sexually frustrated, need to get a new place and should have ordered a Dominos tonight.

I don't have sleep paralysis as such but do have incredibly vivid dreams that cause me to physically react for about the 5-10 seconds after I wake up when I can't distinguish dream/reality. I've thought there was a WW1 Tommy at the end if my bed so jumped out of bed and ran to the corner of the room, I've thought there was water dripping from the ceiling and tried to plug the 'hole' with my hand, and I've really freaked the missus out thinking there is someone 'escaping' out of the bedroom window and yelling at them to stop.

Am I right in thinking you dream when you are sleeping lightly (as opposed to deep sleep). If so it corresponds with dreams I can remember occurring mostly in the morning after I have woken up but drifted back off again.

My most recent one was in a swimming pool with a lot of people from work, somebody cried 'shark' and everyone got out except me who climbed up a pole. A colleague then got an electric heater and threw it in the pool with the aim of zapping the shark. It worked, but not all of then people had left the pool so another colleague really slowly crawled out to people's horror. But he was less than half his normal size. I laughed mercilessly from the top of my pole and got accused of insensitivity. But the weirdest part was whilst everyone was understandably shocked (excuse the pun), the guy who emerged from the pool, instead of being irate or terrified just reacted to being physically shrunk as if some minor infringement like splashing him or stealing his goggles had happened and said something along the lines of 'christ, whatcha bloody do that fer?'. In a helium-pitched voice corresponding to his new size. This acted like some sort of weird punch line and everyone felt it was ok to laugh and did so at this now very small man.

• Paid Members
have incredibly vivid dreams that cause me to physically react for about the 5-10 seconds after I wake up when I can't distinguish dream/reality.

Me too. This has led to some uncomfortable moments (including two days of silence) from my girlfriend when I think she's someone else and refer to her by their name.

Last night I dreamt that I was at a wedding, or some other type of event where you're in a function room, and a certain song came on that obviously excited a Sikh gentleman, as he burst onto the dancefloor with four forward handsprings. He's dancing and flipping all over the place, and at the end of the song gets off the dancefloor along with most of the others.

The DJ gets on the mic and encourages him to get back into the middle of the room, and I decide I'm going to video it, as he was quite impressive, only now he's turned into a black female gymnast. No matter, thinks I, as she'll probably be all flippy too, but instead she decides to stand right in front of me, and pull her leotard down around her waist. I turn my camera off, but she tells me that people are still going to want to talk to me as they think I'm a paedo.

It's possible that the Sikh was a white, Christian-type vicar when he first did the flips onto the dancefloor.

Anyone care to analyse that one? People turning into other people are a regular occurrence in my dreams, if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So late night, i dreamt i was Mark Corrigan from Peep Show and had gotten into some bother with a burly sharply dressed gangster type.

He pinned me up against the wall warning me not to be stupid, but saying he'd give me a chance. To show me he meant business, he then started tearing the posters off my wall and where i'd used sellotape to put them up, pulling off my anaglypta wallpaper in the process.

He gave me 2 minutes to leave, and said that if i came back, i'd be forgiven and if not, i'd be in trouble.

That in mind i decided to flee. The next thing i remember was being in a nightclub in France where i was no longer Mark Corrigan, but myself, watching David Mitchell getting shitfaced on free vodka which he drank out of a perspex milk jug. Women were all over him and i sensed trouble. I was going to intervene, but decided i was hungry. I went over to the bar where they were selling snacks and initially i ordered a Twix before changing my mind and opting for a Snickers flapjack.

Unfortunately, i only had sterling and no one could work out the exchange rate, but because i'd already eaten the flapjack i couldnt give it back or pay for it and was forced to sit at a special table and not allowed to leave until they closed. Alas, i was unable to help poor David, and he stumbled out with a group of women on his arm whilst i sat there until closing. Luckily, i woke up soon after as i imagine the rest of that dream could have been even more bizarre/boring.

Honestly though, i do worry sometimes.

My wife's expecting our first child next week. We're due for a C-section on Friday, because baby hasn't moved into the right position, but apart from that, everything is fine. This morning I dreamt that we had conjoined twins, joined at the head and the hip. Then something happened, they died and their heads were split open and I could see their brains in cross section. It was probably the grimmest thing I've ever seen in my life and I woke up feeling very rattled. And nauseous.

• Paid Members

The other morning I woke up from one that rattled me.

I dreamed that I had killed my ex in some manner, and her naked corpse was laying at the foot of my cupboard. I started panicking and wondering if I should email her dad asking if he'd seen her lately, to perpetuate the idea that she was mysteriously missing. I worried what I would do with the body, and started remembering Patrick Bateman dissolving a body in acid in a bathtub. I started wondering what type of acid and where I could buy it. I picked up the naked body and started thinking "how did this happen?" and then felt awash with guilt and sadness. For a split second (too much honesty here, I guess) I had flashbacks to times we had been intimate and considered having sex with the body before disposing of it * before deciding I couldn't. My feelings of "shit, I've killed her" were then replaced with just misery that she was dead and as I held her in my arms I started crying uncontrollably. Suddenly, her body came back to life and she started punching at my head and trying to bite me, repeatedly shouting "This is your fault! This is your fault!"

Then I woke up. I enjoy a bit of dream analysis, but I probably don't want to know what this one says about my mindscape.

* Just a dream, remember.

Edited by air_raid