Ultimate Fighter: Rousey v Tate

bono

• Paid Members

At the risk of being accused of white knighting, what did Ronda do in that segment that was any different than what Jon Jones does when they do the same for his fights? He does exactly the same thing, refuses to look at the opponent and pulls a face because he has to stand with them for a 90 second interview.

Yeah she was arsey, but so what? They are going to fight in a few weeks. Can you imagine if you'd stood Tyson feet away from Holyfield a few weeks before they were going to fight? It's a rivalry. Rashad and Rampage weren't nice to each other when they were in the same vicinty prior to their fight. Neither were Chuck and Tito, Anderson and Chael or Lesnar and Mir.

I agree with much of your post dopper. Especially the Duke and Modafferi bits. Duke looked great I thought. I was a bit surprised yesterday when I went on an MMA news site (forget which) and there was a headline from Saturday saying something like 'Duke decisions Morgan in snoozer'. I don't see what was boring about it. Duke looked great with the exception of that hairbrain headlock thing she tried near the end which almost cost her the fight. Her striking looked really good and she uses her height well, especially in the clinch. And this was against an even taller opponent, imagine how effective her clinch would be on a girl who's 5'4"? Morgan showed a ton of toughness to hang in there under that assault. Her face was all lumped up after the fight and she really looked fucked by the end.

Modafferi just doesn't look cut out for the UFC. Nice girl but the UFC isn't a charity. That sounds really harsh I know, but they're not hiring people because they're nice. And Modafferi, despite her experience and tenure in the sport, is still pretty much just a BJJ fighter. Her striking is sloppy as fuck and she gets hit a lot. She's not physically strong enough to wrestle effectively and all she's really got is BJJ. I wanted to see her do well but I can't see her being kept around now.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
At the risk of being accused of white knighting, what did Ronda do in that segment that was any different than what Jon Jones does when they do the same for his fights? He does exactly the same thing, refuses to look at the opponent and pulls a face because he has to stand with them for a 90 second interview.

Yeah she was arsey, but so what? They are going to fight in a few weeks. Can you imagine if you'd stood Tyson feet away from Holyfield a few weeks before they were going to fight? It's a rivalry. Rashad and Rampage weren't nice to each other when they were in the same vicinty prior to their fight. Neither were Chuck and Tito, Anderson and Chael or Lesnar and Mir.

Come on Wand. There's being surly and there's being an arse. Ronda basically said "i don't want to be speaking with you" when the interviewers were trying to do their job.

As I've mentioned, I like attitude, but there's a big difference between attitude and acting above it all. Jon Jones at no point would be both surly and rude. I've got no problem with Ronda giving Miesha the could shoulder. It's her attitude towards the interviewers.

The show was good, Holdsworth and Pena impress and what a finish in the main event. I had no idea how that fight was gonna go but Diaz ended all the arguments.

Tate will do well to come out the fight without her arm seriously damage. Rousey is one of those women you don't mess with, the eyes never lie, the woman is a killer, you don't mess with that.

• Paid Members

Look at this picture;

Screen-shot-2013-12-01-at-5.13.52-PM.png

Look at Helwani's shoes. Team Tate colours the little arselick :laugh:

While I'm here, where's this picture from? It's the post-fight show right? Is there anywhere online I can watch this? I noticed as the show was going off the air Saturday that they were all sitting together and it looked really awkward but we never get the post-fight shows on BT Sport.

I just rewatched the Anik/Ronda/Miesha interview again on YouTube and I've got to say again, I don't really get the fuss. I didn't see it properly live because I was feeding my daughter, so I wanted to give it another look after reading all the comments online about it. I read in a few places that she was being a prick to Jon Anik somehow and that he even seemed pissed off in return. Like I said, I wasn't paying close attention live but reading the comments I thought 'yeah wouldn't put it past her'. Rewatching though, I don't see it. She was looking away whenever Miesha was talking, and even did a really fake 'I'm bored' yawn at one point, but she answered Anik's questions and even smiled at him when he mentioned it was cool to have three women's fights on the main card. She definitely looked like she didn't want to be there, she wasn't making Anik's job easier, but I didn't see anything too bad. And again, when Nick Diaz does his thing at press conferences and won't answer questions people love it. It's a bit of a double standard.

You have to take into account as well, that interview was just after the Duke vs Morgan fight which was two of her fighters against each other, so she wasn't going to be happy about that either.

Something of nothing. I stand by my original point of this being no worse than what Jones does. She's not what you'd call "likeable", she's like a Brock Lesnar or Mike Tyson type of personality for me. Or again, Nick Diaz. Plenty of people disliked them as well which is fair enough, but at least they bring/brought a buzz or atmosphere to their fights and make you want to tune in to see what the fuck happens. I'd rather her than 10 Demetrious Johnsons or Ben Hendersons.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I watched the interview on YouTube and I didn't get the fuss. For me, all it did was highlight the very real tension between the pair.

There is not a thing I'd change about Rousey, either. She's captivating because she seems to be on the verge of something mental.

I've seen Jones look at the floor and into the distance during these face-to-face interviews, and never at his opponent. But he never appears to be not paying attention.

On Saturday Ronda made every effort to show that she was not listening and had no interest in what Anik asked Tate and what Tate told Anik.

I can see where those who are critisizing Ronda are coming from.

• Paid Members

Exactly what is everyone's problem with how Rousey behaved on Saturday? I mean sure, it was awkward, and sure, it was unconventional, but ultimately the goal of her being there (building up their fight) was still very much accomplished. In fact, I don't think there's been many rivalries I've seen built up so well. She legitimately fucking hates Tate. To the point where she struggles to be in same space as her. And while that might make Jon Anik's job a bit difficult, it sure as fuck doesn't deter from selling their fight. Personally, it just made me even more excited to see them finally get in the cage. In terms of what appears to be legitimate beef in the UFC, there's only a handful of other fights I can think of that had me more convinced and/or excited.

I'm completely with wand. Everything Rousey does absolutely reeks of Nick Diaz, but for whatever reason I keep hearing and reading people slaughtering her for the exact same behaviour they jizz over whenever Nick does it. It's genuinely baffling and I'd love for someone who dislikes Rousey to explain what the difference is.

She is female and the kind of behavior which is applauded in males, is frowned upon when displayed by females. Not directing that at anyone on here, but I'm sure this is the case with many of the the people who are commenting outside of this board.

• Paid Members
Exactly what is everyone's problem with how Rousey behaved on Saturday? I mean sure, it was awkward, and sure, it was unconventional, but ultimately the goal of her being there (building up their fight) was still very much accomplished. In fact, I don't think there's been many rivalries I've seen built up so well. She legitimately fucking hates Tate. To the point where she struggles to be in same space as her. And while that might make Jon Anik's job a bit difficult, it sure as fuck doesn't deter from selling their fight. Personally, it just made me even more excited to see them finally get in the cage. In terms of what appears to be legitimate beef in the UFC, there's only a handful of other fights I can think of that had me more convinced and/or excited.

I'm completely with wand. Everything Rousey does absolutely reeks of Nick Diaz, but for whatever reason I keep hearing and reading people slaughtering her for the exact same behaviour they jizz over whenever Nick does it. It's genuinely baffling and I'd love for someone who dislikes Rousey to explain what the difference is.

Deathrey hit the nail on the head Supremo. I didn't want to say it earlier without coming across sexist, but I think a lot of people simply don't like this type of behaviour from a woman, irrespective of what her job is.

I still find her captivating and must watch, and essentially that is ultimately the main aim in all of this. It's just not a quality I find endearing in a woman I guess? As I've mentioned, my perception changed from this likeable hot woman with an attitude who could kick your ass, to this hot woman who could still could your ass but is unfortunately a bit mentally unstable and a bit up her own ass at times.

Now, you're completely right though, it's still makes their feud must see and all in all, I will watch come Dec 28th.

• Paid Members

Exactly Supremo. And I think there's truth in deathrey's point as well.

For me, it's not that I give a shit if people dislike her. I can relate to that, I can't stand Frank Mir, Koscheck, Tito etc. I get when someone just grates on you and that's fine. It's down to personal opinion at the end of the day, but when you see people jump on every little thing for weeks and read into shit that isn't there, it gets a bit silly. And I do think people have blown the Ronda hate way out of whack compared to what she's actually done. You look at any comments section on MMA sites (I know, I still look, I never learn) or you look at forums and you'd think she was Myra Hindley or something the way people have gone on. And the funny thing is, the same people probably bitched when Carwin bored everyone into a state of rigamortis when he coached TUF. Reminds me of old series of Big Brother where people would vote out all the bastards early. Then they'd moan that it was boring when all the dullards they kept in got on and just sat around drinking hot chocolate.

That's Miesha Tate. Nice to look at, but boring as fuck as soon as she starts talking. I've seen people going 'Miesha would be better as the face of womens MMA'. Would she fuck. Tate's a good fighter but if Ronda's movie career somehow takes off massively and she fucked off to Hollywood, I'd give it three months before everyone would turn on Tate and say she's boring. Because without the Ronda rivalry, she kind of is. And that would become evident fast without Ronda around.

She's a fighter. If she was a Tennis player and was flipping people off at Wimbledon and stuff, I'd be on board with the criticism. It's a different set of rules. With fighting it's the norm.

And I love fighters like that. With a bit of edge and nastiness. I didn't become a Wanderlei Silva fan because of the smiley nice guy he is these days. I became a fan of him because he was a vicious bastard who stamped on people and seemed like he'd fight a bear if it wanted a bite of his Twix. Nigel Benn was a grumpy fucker in his prime. Wouldn't take any shit and regularly told journalists to get fucked if he didn't like their line of questioning. Lesnar, Tyson, Diaz, Toney, Duran, Hagler - all arsey, surly, moody fucks. And I love the lot of them. Ronda's just the newest in a long line. Only difference is she is a woman, and I think like deathrey says, some people don't like that.

There is not a thing I'd change about Rousey, either. She's captivating because she seems to be on the verge of something mental.

Yeah, there's a feeling of danger watching her fights that I only got from Tyson, Lesnar and Diaz fights previously. A feeling like anything can happen, for or against her. It's great. And she couldn't have came along at a better time with Brock going back to WWE, Diaz 'retiring' and Chael out of the really big fights for the forseeable.

I'm hoping Conor McGregor can really keep the ball rolling and I hope he becomes a huge star. MMA needs fighters like that to break through more than ever. Especially with GSP winding down. Jones, Rousey and McGregor could cushion that blow if everything works out and the right fights get made.

Archived