Ultimate Fighter: Rousey v Tate

bono

• Paid Members

If its true that Ronda was in the middle of that crazy weight cut whilst she competed in the coaches challenge, Then she's more insane than I thought. That's some feat, physically and mentally.

As far as Anthony goes, has anyone ever had an easier ride and blown it so big? What a moron.

Is Davey the only Brit to get to a TUF final that wasn't a 'UK vs ...' version of TUF?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't see it harming her much in the way of endorsements to be honest. Unless she became embroiled in a drugs scandal or something mad, I think a lot of sponsors won't give a shit about her trash talking. They should expect it of fighters. Nike still sponsored Jon Jones after his DUI. Reebok were still interested in Rampage despite his general twattery and being past it. Mike Tyson was inundated with sponsors throughout the 80s and 90s despite his tendency to tell news reporters to fuck off, getting into street brawls, getting charges for touching up unconsenting women in clubs, biting opponents and getting jailed for rape. Obviously he took a big hit on the sponsor offers after his jail term but still, he was always a controversial figure with way more publicity than Ronda, and he didn't seem to struggle getting endorsement deals.

Ronda's a great fighter, a winner, marketable, and she's the type who generates interest and gets attention whatever she does in MMA. Sponsors will want a piece of that action regardless of whether she cries and calls Miesha Tate a bitch.

She's not came off well, but she hasn't done anything that should harm her career. Flipping the bird and swearing. Never did Steve Austin or Nick Diaz's careers much harm. I went in expecting something like this to be honest though. Way before TUF, she was never exactly a bubbly friendly type. Watch any interview with her and you got the sense she was a bit mad. Add to that the UFC fucked with her right from the start by keeping her in the dark about Cat Zingano being injured and the Miesha replacement, and given her unhinged personality, they knew exactly what type of reaction they'd get.

I dare say if it had still been the original Rousey vs Zingano season of TUF, Ronda would have came off a fair bit better. But then, who wants another friendly series like the Lesnar vs Dos Santos TUF? It's all worked out well enough.

If its true that Ronda was in the middle of that crazy weight cut whilst she competed in the coaches challenge, Then she's more insane than I thought. That's some feat, physically and mentally.

As far as Anthony goes, has anyone ever had an easier ride and blown it so big? What a moron.

Is Davey the only Brit to get to a TUF final that wasn't a 'UK vs ...' version of TUF?

Bisbing won Tuf 3.

Being a dickhead will not hurt Rousey's appeal. Ask Rampage Jackson, he acted like a complete wanker on TUF 10, people still enjoyed wanted him to knockout Rashad.

Anyone fancy telling me if I have missed much by skipping TUF? On the whole was it worth watching week by week?

• Paid Members

I've enjoyed it but it's still not been must see TV or anything. To be honest, those days are over for TUF anyway. But it's been the best season for a while IMO, barring The Smashes which I think was the best TUF since 10.

The coaches challenge this week was fun. The episode in general was pretty good I thought, despite the lack of a fight. It's weird, it seems like we went years without anyone missing weight on TUF. I thought that died with Gabe Ruediger's hilarious sauna drama on TUF 5, but this season we've had two people kicked off for not making weight.

Anthony Guttierez came off like a right plonker. He's been so cocky all season, cracking jokes and smirking away. He got a bye in the first round when Cody missed weight, so he got to the semis without even having to fight. Then instead of taking advantage of that, the fact that he'd get to come into the semis fresh, he eats himself silly and then cries in the shower with his knob out in front of Manny Gamburyan. There were guys on some of the early TUFs who quit or got kicked off without ever fighting, but that was early on. Anthony made it all the way to the end and chose then to royally fuck up. Boggles the mind.

Speaking of Manny Gamburyan, I liked the bit when he was talking to Anthony after he refused to continue trying to make weight. Everyone else seemed to be pussyfooting around Anthony and Anthony was clearly fishing for sympathy off Manny, giving it the teary eyed "I don't deserve to be here"...sob..."I fucked up"....sob. He got no sympathy off Manvel the Anvil. Manny gave him straight up, un-sugarcoated honesty. Basically - "No you don't deserve to be here and yes you did fuck up."

But yeah, coaches challenge was fun. The old wall like off Gladiators. And Ronda's "fuck you bitch" at the end as seen in gif form on the previous page.

If you get a spare 15 minutes, give the Raquel Pennington vs Jessamyn Duke fight from a few weeks ago a look if you can find it. Fight of the season by far so far, and one of the best TUF fights in years.

Thanks guys.

I am not as militant as David on women's MMA, I can take or leave it if I am honest. If its on a card I am watching, fair enough, if Rousey is fighting, I am interested. but its a side salad a lot of the time, I will not join in just to see it. I will watch that fight you have hyped, as you guys do not tend to hype irrelevant stuff.

Still think they should abolish TUF and find a new reality format, a adjusted version of Fight Factory or the cash prize idea with established fighters would be a good start.

• Paid Members

I don't think they'll ever fully revamp TUF. Mostly because it's Dana's baby and I don't think his stubborn-ness will allow him to admit that the format is stale no matter what new lick of paint they slap on it. I can still enjoy it for what it is, usually more when the coaches are interesting and/or there's a little twist like country vs country or the addition of the women this time. But on the whole, I've accepted that TUFs pretty much had its best days for the most part. There'll be one off bright spots like the Smashes were everything just clicks but the meat and potatoes of the show never changes and, after 20 plus seasons, we've pretty much seen everything there is to see out of the current format.

Ideally they'd do a complete overhaul and try something different, reality TV wise. But there's risks in that as well. At the very least I think the show would benefit from being limited to one, two seasons a year maximum. That's not happening though with the expansion and the international TUFs. They're doing the Australia vs Canada season currently I think, or they've already finished filming. They've got Kyle Noke and Patrick Cote coaching that which doesn't fill me with excitement. I'm sure the eventual fight will be good but it doesn't grab me as a TUF pairing at all. TUF China is coming as well, with Cung Le playing the Dana White role and no opposing fighter to bounce off or build a fight with. They're in a position now where they're obligated to do so many seasons I suppose, but the time has come, as it was always going to, where fans will just have to cherry pick. I didn't even get around to watching TUF Brazil 2 this year, despite Big Nog coaching. I can't see me watching a whole season of Noke and Cote to be honest. Maybe it'll be a pleasant surprise but that pairing just feels like scraping the barrel to me.

TUF China does kind of hold some intrigue for me though. Just to see how the Chinese do it, the culture and stuff, and how Cung Le runs things. The rumoured TUF Mexico (Cain vs Werdum) might be fun as well. These will have the drawback of subtitles though, which doesn't really bother me but I can see why some find it off-putting.

I've just started watching this season and Ronda comes off so awful on the show.

I wanted Miesha to win anyway because she is ridiculously hot, but now I REALLY wnat her to beat Ronda. I hope Ronda gets booed to hell when they fight too

The coaches challenge this week was fun. The episode in general was pretty good I thought, despite the lack of a fight. It's weird, it seems like we went years without anyone missing weight on TUF. I thought that died with Gabe Ruediger's hilarious sauna drama on TUF 5, but this season we've had two people kicked off for not making weight.

Any excuse to post this:

'Bee, put me back in...I can do this!'

• Paid Members

I love that clip. That whole season was brilliant actually. BJ wasn't a particularly great coach from what I remember but he was great TV. I loved his mocking of Andy Wang as well.

Re: pryko

She's not coming off great but at least she hasn't bullied and tried to assault a male nurse like your boy Koscheck ;)

I think the outrage against Ronda has been overblown. When you look at it, what's she actually done that's been that bad? It's not like she's no-showed training sessions (Shamrock), bullied fighters (Rampage), forced them to read the bible (Hughes), squirted water in a fighter's face (Bisping), no-showed their fighter's fight (Bisping and Lesnar), been a cunt to an ex training partner because they're on the other team (Sotiropoulous) or again, bullied and tried to attack the male nurse (like your man Koscheck).

Like I said, she's not coming off well. She seems barmy and unhinged and at times comes across immature and spoiled like a lot of child athletes/Olympians do. So I'm not surprised some don't like her. I get that. But why the shock with how she's acting on TUF? She was always going to be like this, I don't see what the fuss is about. There's been way worse on TUF. Coaches and housemates.

The bit at the start where Ronda went mad because they'd brought Miesha in, that was probably the worst she's looked on the season. And she got a lot of shit for that, but that was definitely manipulated by the UFC. They knew what was going to happen there. They did the same thing to Urijah Faber on TUF 15 when Cruz got injured. Faber obviously is a cooler head than Ronda but he was still doing interviews at the time saying the UFC lied to his face about the whole thing and he was kept in the dark right up until he came face to face with Renan Barao on set. He wasn't happy. I'm the first to rubbish the 'I'm really nice really, they edited me to make me look a twat' stuff but at the same time, don't think for one second that the UFC is above manipulating their fighters and the situation, even if it means lying to them, for good TV.

It's got to the point now where I can see why Ronda would rub people the wrong way, but it's getting a bit nitpicky and silly now IMO. People are jumping on every little thing now. If this was GSP and Nick Diaz coaching, you'd be getting just as much finger waving and 'fuck you bitch' stuff as we're seeing from Ronda, but I bet there wouldn't be half the backlash.

Oh and Miesha is fit. But that doesn't do anything to change the fact that she's still getting armbarred in round 1 in a few weeks ;)

• Paid Members

21edz7k.jpg

I don't like Koscheck but I'll say this for him, he made that season much more entertaining. And that's kind of my point with Ronda. People moan but she's actually exactly what a show like TUF needs. People go on about certain coaches being unsportsmanlike or a twat, and its often true. But it's no coincidence that the best TUFs have featured the likes of Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock, Matt Hughes, Rampage, Josh Koscheck, Frank Mir, Michael Bisping, George Sotiropoulos and Ronda Rousey. All twats to different extremes. I'd rather watch them than someone like Shane Carwin. Nice guy but fuck me was he dull. And I love JDS but he's simply too nice for TUF. Even Brock couldn't bring himself to trash talk big Junior.

You need these polarizing, marmite characters on a show like TUF. I get the feeling the likes of Koscheck and Rousey could be ridiculously annoying in person, but I haven't got to have them around for Sunday dinner. MMA is a better place with people like that around. It's why I've got absolutely zero interest in a 'nice guy' TUF between Patrick Cote and Kyle Noke, but the upcoming Chael vs Wanderlei TUF Brazil is rocking my cock 6 months in advance. And while I won't be counting the days for the inevitable TUF 25: Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez 6, if a season featuring Nick Diaz or Josh Barnett ever gets announced, I'll need to change my boxers.

If this season was Miesha vs Alexis Davis, it'd be fucking shite. Yeah, Miesha is nice to look at but that wouldn't be enough to keep interest would it? If you want to look at fit women there's way fitter than Miesha Tate just a few clicks away, and doing a lot more than showing a skinny bloke how to check leg kicks. She'd be boring as fuck if she didn't have this rivalry to play off. She's reaping the rewards of Ronda's nuttiness as much as anyone. She wouldn't be half as popular now without Ronda as her rival. It's nothing but a positive for womens MMA.

Archived