Ultimate Fighter: Rousey v Tate

bono

Weight cutting can be done drastically, and you can lose over 2 stone easily in the space of a day, but that is incredibly dangerous. Last year when I was supposed to have a fight I had 2 months to prepare, so I was on a high protein diet and regular exercise, with that I dropped from around 225 to around 210 the day before weigh-in. So I still had about 5lbs to lose in 24 hours I ended up using what Jim Miller does, which is hot salt water baths. http://youtu.be/S6Fm1cxXhBE That got me to 206.5 the day before and I got drunk on the Friday night. I drank a bottle of whiskey and this meant I ended up pissing out a huge amount, but my got it was practically solid, it looked like the slushy end of a Calypo. The last couple of days were painful, but not too bad. I was advised not to drive, because being severely dehydrated is the same as being drunk and honestly you do feel drunk a lot of the time. It was all made even shittier by the guy who I was supposed to be fighting not turning up to the weigh-in. I didn't even go to the fights I was just pissed off and seriously angry, since I put myself through so much and the guy I was going to fight didn't turn up for the weigh in. I did thoroughly enjoy the fry up after the weigh-in and the burger King for lunch along with a massive pizza for dinner washed down with many cans of Guiness.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like Koscheck but I'll say this for him, he made that season much more entertaining. And that's kind of my point with Ronda. People moan but she's actually exactly what a show like TUF needs.

I'm not the biggest Kos fan, but at least he was smarmy, smug and somewhat intelligent with his trash talk. The same goes for Sonnen.

Rousey is like a female Diaz brother. She's obviously got physical talents, but she's about as intelligent as a doorknob. Her trash talking is the kind of stuff a kid comes away with in primary school. It's cringeworthy when you hear an adult talking like that.

She appears as though she has learning difficulties or something. I'm not sure Tate even knows how to respond to her sometimes.

You keep mentioning her coming off as "nutty", as if she's some sort of quirky character. She isn't, really. She's unintelligent, and all she can do is flip people off and swear.

• Paid Members

I think the point where Ronda truly came across as a complete spanner was her "we act tough all time" line when she was trying it on with Miesha and Bryan Caraway at the bar. I couldn't help but go back to her almost breaking down in tears in front of the camera at almost every second to realise this obviously isn't the case. I hate this type of bravado so to speak and it's almost gangsta style behaviour.

As David says, whilst Koscheck is basically a twat, he's a twat who knows exactly what he's doing. Ronda simply is thick as pig shit. Whilst I completely agree that this season wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining if Miesha wasn't added to the mix bringing this characteristic out of Ronda (at least I hope), I still now find her incredibly annoying at times. Something I certainly didn't feel before TUF.

• Paid Members
You keep mentioning her coming off as "nutty", as if she's some sort of quirky character. She isn't, really. She's unintelligent, and all she can do is flip people off and swear.

I haven't once called her quirky. When I say she's nuts I mean that she's nuts. Quirky would be how I'd describe Roxanne Modaferri or Luke Cummo. Nuts is how I'd describe Ronda Rousey or Nick Diaz.

As for intelligence, who gives much of a shit really? It's not Eggheads, these are fighters we're talking about. Trash talk with intellingence is better of course, but not everyone will be the same. Look at Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson. Pretty much the consensus two biggest stars in the history of boxing. And a massive part of their star power was as much, if not more, because of what they did outside the ring as what they did in it. Yet you couldn't have two more opposite styles of trash talk. Ali would go on Parkinson and do a 5 minute poem that had people rolling about laughing. Mike Tyson would threaten to fuck faggots til they loved him.

Ronda definitely falls into the Tyson category. You're not watching for her intelligence or wit, you're watching in a morbid, car crash curiosity kind of way. But either way, you're watching.

I think the point where Ronda truly came across as a complete spanner was her "we act tough all time" line when she was trying it on with Miesha and Bryan Caraway at the bar. I couldn't help but go back to her almost breaking down in tears in front of the camera at almost every second to realise this obviously isn't the case. I hate this type of bravado so to speak and it's almost gangsta style behaviour.

Yeah, that was actually probably the worst bit as far as how Ronda has came across on TUF. But even then, wasn't it mostly that Edmond knob who was being a massive cock there? Ronda was definitely instigating it but he certainly didn't help. She's already a bit off her tits, hanging around mad Armenians isn't doing her any favours.

Even still though, I still think the backlash is a tad overblown. The worst stuff out of Ronda was in the first few episodes. After that it's just been the odd middle finger here and there. There hasn't been these gangsta antics in weeks (unless waving your middle finger is exclusive to gangstas now). Yet people have been going on like it's been some constant big thing. I can completely see why people find her annoying or dislike her and stuff, I just genuinely don't see what the fuss is about with what she's done on TUF. It's like after nearly every episode there's this outrage and 'oh my God, Ronda's such a cunt' reaction. But actually watching the episode its just typical TUF antics, no worse than half the past coaches. That's all I'm saying.

It was similar with TUF 14 with Bisping and Mayhem. It seemed like a load of people went into that disliking Bisping so they jumped on every little thing he did right from the off. I'm not saying this is exactly the same because it seems a lot of people went in as Ronda fans and have soured on her. But I remember every week I'd watch TUF 14 then read the reaction online and there'd be people finding every reason to have a pop at Bisping. And like with Ronda, some weeks it was justified. Other weeks it seemed like they were clutching at straws just because they had to have a Bisping gripe every week. Yet they'd ignore Mayhem bouncing around and gurning like Johnny Rotten after a multipack of Relentless energy drinks. I think there's a little bit of that with this season to be honest. Some weeks, yeah, Ronda's seemed like a right dickhead but the rest of the time it's been like people are looking for shit that isn't there, for me.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that was actually probably the worst bit as far as how Ronda has came across on TUF. But even then, wasn't it mostly that Edmond knob who was being a massive cock there? Ronda was definitely instigating it but he certainly didn't help. She's already a bit off her tits, hanging around mad Armenians isn't doing her any favours.

Even still though, I still think the backlash is a tad overblown. The worst stuff out of Ronda was in the first few episodes. After that it's just been the odd middle finger here and there. There hasn't been these gangsta antics in weeks (unless waving your middle finger is exclusive to gangstas now). Yet people have been going on like it's been some constant big thing. I can completely see why people find her annoying or dislike her and stuff, I just genuinely don't see what the fuss is about with what she's done on TUF. It's like after nearly every episode there's this outrage and 'oh my God, Ronda's such a cunt' reaction. But actually watching the episode its just typical TUF antics, no worse than half the past coaches. That's all I'm saying.

It was similar with TUF 14 with Bisping and Mayhem. It seemed like a load of people went into that disliking Bisping so they jumped on every little thing he did right from the off. I'm not saying this is exactly the same because it seems a lot of people went in as Ronda fans and have soured on her. But I remember every week I'd watch TUF 14 then read the reaction online and there'd be people finding every reason to have a pop at Bisping. And like with Ronda, some weeks it was justified. Other weeks it seemed like they were clutching at straws just because they had to have a Bisping gripe every week. Yet they'd ignore Mayhem bouncing around and gurning like Johnny Rotten after a multipack of Relentless energy drinks. I think there's a little bit of that with this season to be honest. Some weeks, yeah, Ronda's seemed like a right dickhead but the rest of the time it's been like people are looking for shit that isn't there, for me.

Edmond was definitely coming off as a massive bell end and it didn't help by him being completely steaming drunk. However, Ronda calling him over when Miesha questioned her striking was the biggest dickish move. It really was like watching a kid calling out to their Mummy or Daddy looking for support to 'tell em' straight'. That incident followed by the "we act tough all the time" is what got me supporting Miesha over Ronda. To be fair, she hasn't been that bad since that incident but it was enough for me to see the true Ronda Rousey. I agree with you though, she hasn't been too bad the entire season. It's certainly not Rampage Jackson dumbness.

• Paid Members

Ah, I forgot that bit where she called him over. That was definitely her worst bit on the show. So far anyway. She was obviously trying to get Caraway kicked off there but when he didn't do anything, she just came off like a div. The stuff with Dennis Hallman starting on Edmond, I think was probably a direct retaliation to that actually from Team Tate. Meltzer reported that fighters from the show said Hallman was put up to that by Miesha or Caraway to get Edmond kicked off. Either way, Edmond flapped it and was put in his place there. And he's been quiet ever since then :)

I have to be honest, whoever she has advising her, be it a manager or whatever, must have been crazy to advise her to do this show. Okay, maybe the way she's acted won't hurt her much in the long term, but anyone who knows her personally must have figured it was going to end up like this?

One thing is for certain. She hasn't come out of this show with her image and earning potential improved by how she's come across.

I have no doubt that both Tate and Caraway are both pieces of work, but the difference here is that they seem to know how to play the game. They're somewhat intelligent enough to know that if they play it the way they have Ronda will flip out regularly and lose the plot, and they can stand there smiling in her face. All of the attempts at shaking hands after fights and suchlike? They knew the reaction they would get, especially from a idiot like Ronda.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Tate and Caraway have gone about it in a crafty way and it seems to have worked in winding Ronda up. I suppose it's as good a strategy as any for Miesha to try to get an edge any way she can. I just don't see it working on fight night.

I have to be honest, whoever she has advising her, be it a manager or whatever, must have been crazy to advise her to do this show. Okay, maybe the way she's acted won't hurt her much in the long term, but anyone who knows her personally must have figured it was going to end up like this?

That's the thing, the people advising her are likely managers and agents who stand to profit from her doing TUF. So even if they think she won't come off well, they still want to cash in. Ronda herself said recently that she'd never do it again and sounded like she regrets doing this at all.

When you look at the year Ronda has had - the media craze around her fight with Liz Carmouche being the first UFC womens fight, doing Primetime, then the actual fight, then film shoots, non-stop media in between, disputes between her agent and Dana, then TUF right after, then the worldwide media tour to promote UFC 168 - it's bonkers. She hasn't stopped all year.

Could this work to Miesha's advantage? It can't have helped Ronda that's for sure. The problem is, I just don't think Miesha is a threat to Ronda anywhere. She's the better striker but she doesn't seem to have much power. She has a wrestling base but I don't think she'll want to grapple with Ronda. And in the submissions, forget it. If Ronda was coming off this crazy year and fighting someone like Cat Zingano or Holly Holm, even Amanda Nunes, then I'd give the upset more of a chance. But I can't see a path to victory for Miesha, barring some freak injury or cut.

Anyway, back on TUF, the finale is this Saturday in case anyone forgot.

image.adapt.320.medium.jpg

Gray Maynard vs Nate Diaz

Chris Holdsworth vs Davey Grant - TUF 18 Mens Final

Julianna Pena vs Winner of Pennington/Rakoczy - TUF 18 Womens Final

Jared Rosholt vs Walter Harris

Akira Corassani vs Maximo Blanco

Rani Yahya vs Tom Niinimaki

Sean Spencer vs Drew Dober

Ryan Benoit vs Joshua Sampo

That's the current card. Like always with TUF though, the full card won't be released until both finals are set and the series is over. There'll probably be another four or five fights added featuring the TUF contestants. I expect Jessamyn Duke will get a fight, just because of her excellent fight with Raquel Pennington. And the loser of Pennington/Rakoczy will probably be on there as well.

Tom Niinimaki might be worth keeping an eye out for. He's 20-5-1 from Finland and he's meant to be good from what I've read. He's coming off wins over ex UFC fighter Walel Watson and ex WEC champ Chase Beebe. Rani Yahya is a really tough debut for him though. One of the more underrated guys on the roster IMO.

Can't say I'm that arsed about Maynard vs Diaz 3. It might be good though. Both have their backs against the wall now, coming off losses, both got stopped in their last fights as well. Maybe that will light a fire under them. I think the main reason for mine and most people's indifference to this fight is that their last fight was a bit of a wet fart. But that doesn't necessarily mean this one will go the same way. Their first fight on TUF 5 was really good so hopefully this will be closer to that than their 2010 effort.

I think this is still a three rounder as well. Because it was supposed to co-main under Mighty Mouse vs Benavidez 2 originally.

• Paid Members

It's safe to say that I'm hoping Maynard absolutely obliterates Nate Diaz. I'm a fan of Nick, but cannot stand Nate.

Maynard should really go back to where his strengths lie and that's his wrestling base. He's almost become like Koscheck where he discovered winning by a big one big KO was easier than grinding out a win and forgot about his wrestling.

On the other hand, seeing Nate getting KO'd clean is something I would like to see too. So, with that said, I would like to see Gray wrestle Nate to the ground, pound the living shit out of him, then, I guess let him stand him and then land a sweet clean shot.

• Paid Members

Jessamyn Duke will indeed fight on the finale. Against Peggy Morgan. I read that all the female TUF cast members will fight in the UFC except Shayna Baszler and Sarah Moras, for what that's worth. Not sure why those two won't be given a shot.

Gray Maynard has said he'd be willing to drop to 145 for a fourth fight with Frankie Edgar. I'm not sure how Maynard would do with the weight cut, he always looked like one of the bigger lightweights in the division to me. I'd have thought he'd be more likely to go up to 170 than drop to 145. But if anyone can make it work, it's a wrestler like Maynard. Regardless, at 145 or 155, I hope do see Edgar vs Maynard 4 at some stage. After their third fight people were acting like Edgar won the trilogy. He hasn't. They're 1-1-1. It doesn't get any more even than that. And with how fantastic their last two fights were, who wouldn't want to see part IV?

Jessamyn Duke will indeed fight on the finale. Against Peggy Morgan. I read that all the female TUF cast members will fight in the UFC except Shayna Baszler and Sarah Moras, for what that's worth. Not sure why those two won't be given a shot.

Baszler & Moras are both injured and will get a fight at a later date.

Duke vs. Morgan will be on the main card from what I read.

• Paid Members

Ah right, makes sense. I thought it'd be a bit harsh to not have Baszler back coming off losing to Julianna (who could win the whole thing). And Moras eliminated Tara LaRosa before the show even properly started. I think they'll both be pretty good additions to the UFC roster.

• Paid Members

Maybe some will get chances on future cards. It might just mean they're not getting on the finale. I could see Wooten winding up on the London card in March maybe.

And yeah, Modaferri vs Rakoczy/Pennington loser must be happening. That's all the women accounted for then, isn't it? With Baszler and Moras out.

• Paid Members
Maybe some will get chances on future cards. It might just mean they're not getting on the finale. I could see Wooten winding up on the London card in March maybe.

And yeah, Modaferri vs Rakoczy/Pennington loser must be happening. That's all the women accounted for then, isn't it? With Baszler and Moras out.

I know this is me stating the obvious, but unfortunately the ufc have surely given us the outcome of tomorrow's TUF fight?

There's no way the would rematch Modaferri with Rakoczy after she destroyed her already on TUF. This by default surely means we are going to see a Rakoczy/Pena finale?

Archived