Ultimate Fighter: Rousey v Tate

bono

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
That's Miesha Tate. Nice to look at, but boring as fuck as soon as she starts talking. I've seen people going 'Miesha would be better as the face of womens MMA'. Would she fuck. Tate's a good fighter but if Ronda's movie career somehow takes off massively and she fucked off to Hollywood, I'd give it three months before everyone would turn on Tate and say she's boring. Because without the Ronda rivalry, she kind of is. And that would become evident fast without Ronda around.

------------------------------------------

Yeah, there's a feeling of danger watching her fights that I only got from Tyson, Lesnar and Diaz fights previously. A feeling like anything can happen, for or against her. It's great. And she couldn't have came along at a better time with Brock going back to WWE, Diaz 'retiring' and Chael out of the really big fights for the forseeable.

I've left two parts of your post Wand that I want to discuss as the rest is you're opinion and I mostly agree with it.

The first bit though I strongly disagree with you. Tate is far from boring. The way you write it you're almost making her come across as if she's the female equivalent of Chris Weidman? That couldn't be further from the truth. All the smiles in Ronda's face were completely intentional and it was simply done to wind Ronda up. And it worked. What about that shit Tate pulled in the staredown at the end of TUF? What about all the pranks played by her to wind up Ronda? What about the unsportsman(woman?) type behaviour at the end of round 1 against Zingano? Then you have all the trash talk she got involved with during the first Rousey/Tate fight.

This type if stuff is far from boring. Yes, not necessarily endearing, but certiainly not boring. I agree though, she certainly will never do for WMMA what Ronda's managed to achieve.

The second bit is in relation to Rousey's fights and comparing them to Lesnar/Tyson/Diaz. I just think you are giving her way too much credit when comparing her to these guys. I guess perhaps you're maybe thinking that perhaps her mental state may be comparable, but I still have never felt that anything could happen in a Ronda Rousey fight? Those three guys you mention are pretty special with a special kind of aura, but Rousey for me is not on that level.

• Paid Members

You know what, I'll hold my hands up, I was a bit harsh on Tate there. From all that stuff you mention, she's clearly done her bit subtly. And as far as in cage - she's far from boring. Her fights with Rousey, Zingano and Kedzie were all fantastic.

I guess the point I was getting at (albeit overstating my case) was that it reminds me of the Eubank vs Benn rivalry in the early 90s. Benn was really popular before but having Eubank to bounce off in the media, and the clash and contrast of their personalities, elevated him and he achieved more popularity than he could've on his own. Miesha to a lesser extent is reaping similar benefits.

The second point - yeah she's not a megastar like Tyson or a huge draw like Brock, but I still think there's a certain buzz around Ronda. And the 'anything can happen' thing for me comes with her vulnerability (for now at least) in the striking. Very much like Brock in that way, in that you think if the opponent can tag her before she grabs hold of them, she could be in trouble

• Paid Members
After taking an illegal knee to the face against Maximo Blanco, Akira Corassani will be on the shelf for as much as six months.

Corassani was shut down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a lengthy term

• Paid Members
After taking an illegal knee to the face against Maximo Blanco, Akira Corassani will be on the shelf for as much as six months.

Corassani was shut down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a lengthy term

• Paid Members

Oh, I see - I thought "shut down" meant "banned". Especially as David said he "paid the price" for it. Thanks for the clarification.

I can see how you can think that, but I'm just in the habit of assuming that most of the people who read and post in these threads actually watch the shows, so they'd have known exactly what i was talking about.

• Paid Members
Oh, I see - I thought "shut down" meant "banned". Especially as David said he "paid the price" for it. Thanks for the clarification.

I can see how you can think that, but I'm just in the habit of assuming that most of the people who read and post in these threads actually watch the shows, so they'd have known exactly what i was talking about.

I know, seems a bit silly - at the moment, am in the middle of a diploma, so don't have as much time to dedicate to watching as much as I'd like, so I tend to go off the news and conversation here.

• Paid Members

fuck, i thought Akira was putting it on a little after the knee too, i take that back :confused:

ive been avoiding everything since Saturday because i simply haven't had to time to watch so i missed out on all the backlash to that Meisha/Tate interview...something out of nothing sounds about right to me.

oh, and Nate Diaz is hungry :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Yahya vs Niinimaki - 28-29

Despite Yahya being more active off his back than Niinimaki was on top, it was always going to be a win for the Fin. This is an example of what I don't like about current MMA scoring. I did score this fight in a way that I personally would like to see MMA scored, and it broke down something like this;

round 1 - Niinimaki scored the only clear takedown in the round, but he didn't really do anything with it, which should count. Yahya was constantly working for submissions, which won him the round for me - 10-9 Yahya

round 2 - Much like the 1st, Niinimaki scored a solid takedown, but was so inactive that he was stood up by the official despite him having top position. Again, Yahya was throwing up submission attempts throughout the round - 10-9 Yahya

round 3 - Again, Niinimaki with the takedown, and again he was so inactive that he got stood up. Yahya was again the better worker on the ground, and was dominating towards the end on the ground - 10-9 Yahya

I would have scored the fight 30-27 for Yahya, which is the exact opposite of what one judge actually scored the fight. It's simply a case of "score a takedown, get credit for it" regardless of what you actually do with it. Niinimaki didn't even look to post much offence outwith a few half-hearted dunts to Yahya's head.

agreed. I didn't score it too closely but if you wanna look at the guy who's trying to finish the fight Yahya was the winner, Niinimaki spent most of the fight simply staying out of Yahya's submission attempts, even though he was on top.

There didn't seem to be any kind of controversy afterwards, the commentary were siding with the Fin. and even Yahya seemed to accept defeat like he'd knew he'd lost when the decision was read, weird.

Enjoyed Rosholt/Harris too, them big boys were swinging. I'm putting Rosholt down as my sleeper heavyweight for 2014.

There didn't seem to be any kind of controversy afterwards, the commentary were siding with the Fin. and even Yahya seemed to accept defeat like he'd knew he'd lost when the decision was read, weird.

I think most people just accept that's how fights are scored to be honest. Sad.

• Paid Members

there was a fight recently where the guy who was primarily on the bottom won a decision, i can't remember what it was though. Playing a submission game off the bottom is a very dangerous game to play nowadays.

• Paid Members

yeh it is, i understand that the guy in top position has a certain level of control and if he's threatening with ground and pound and advancing he's technically doing enough to be winning but when a guy is spending his entire time on top simply avoiding the offence coming from the bottom, the bottom guy has to be winning.

yeh it is, i understand that the guy in top position has a certain level of control and if he's threatening with ground and pound and advancing he's technically doing enough to be winning but when a guy is spending his entire time on top simply avoiding the offence coming from the bottom, the bottom guy has to be winning.

The big issue for me is that even just a takedown is enough to get you points, regardless of what you do afterwards. How many fighters do you see charge in looking for one in the dying seconds of a round?

Archived