The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

43 minutes ago, SiMania said:

It's lovely but I can't have more than a couple as it gets too sweet. Their imperial stout is cracking too. 

I bought 6 bottles yesterday and I was struggling to finish the third bottle because it was too sickly. I will definitely have to try some of their other beers, though I find most imperial stouts to be a bit on the strong side. 

• 2 months later...

If you go to http://www.beer52.com/RHLSTP you can get 8 bottles of beer for free with £5.95 P&P. If you sign up soon you can get your beer by Satruday. Or use this link for 12 quid off and I get a free case of beer. https://www.beer52.com/join/178777/486f34ba360b21c8

Edited by Rey_Piste
Punctuation errors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

In general, I hate them if I’m honest (the 10 bottles for £8 types). Unless you like everything from pale to stout to sour, you’ll only enjoy half the package for the price, making it barely worth it as it’s random picks from them.

If it’s all brand new to you and you have no preference or knowledge, I’d suggest going to a decent craft pub and sampling one of each type. Almost every pub is happy to pour you a shot for free with no bother. Much cheaper way of finding out your preference.

There is However one or two Mail pack companies in which they let you pick the styles you prefer, for example, pales, IPAs and Ruby’s. I’d 100% advise finding one of those because they send you a selection based on your preferences.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Hi @Kaz Hayashi and @ReturnOfTheMack. I enjoy everything, from IPA to imperial Stout, Gueuez to helles, modern stuff like double and dark IPA. I even enjoy a pint of traditional best or mild. 

I've been spoiled overseas, pics below of the beer store I kept in the apartment with some more on storage in crates down the celler. I've brought 4 crates back but I'm planning ahead. 

In a perfect world I'd like a regular mixed bag to turn up I can supplement with a self selection of old favourites from beer hawk or beers of Europe. But I don't want to get diddled in the process. 

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

In which case the vast majority of delivery beer companies will be right up your street pal. Take in to consideration that whilst the selections are decent beers, they aren’t premium. But you can usually pay more for a selection of more expensive beers.

Beerhawk is the one a couple of my mates use. However, if you fancy a gamble, specifically on German beer including pilsners, wits and dunkles, there’s currently a ‘beer box’ on group on. £42 for 24 500ml mixed cans.

Sign up with a different email (unless you’re new to it and get 15% off first order. Meaning it will cost roughly £36.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/beer-tasting-box-24-cans

Arguably going to be similar to the ‘german’ beer you can buy in Aldi for a quid each mind you, but with several gems.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• 3 months later...

I'm off to a beer festival tomorrow evening, first time that I'll ever be in attendance at one - any regular goers care to share any advice or tips regarding how to get the best experience out of one of them? Not quite sure what to expect. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I'm off to a beer festival tomorrow evening, first time that I'll ever be in attendance at one - any regular goers care to share any advice or tips regarding how to get the best experience out of one of them? Not quite sure what to expect. 

Is it Camra run? 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Get a pint glass (if you get a choice) but drink in halves. You try more beers, don’t commit too much time/money to something you might not like, and you’ll likely get a little extra poured every now & again - free beer is never a bad thing.

If you’re not a real ale drinker & have no idea what styles you might like, don’t be afraid to ask for a taster here & there, but asking to have a taster of 7 or 8 beers in a row will just piss off the person serving you & everyone around.

I’m basing this off it being a CAMRA beer festival, and if that’s the case, be nice to everyone staffing it - they’re all volunteers!