Smackdown Discussion Thread

Ziggler looked shit on Smackdown, he really needs to do something about his hair, dye it blonde and have it how he used to have it or trim it up at least, his hard on for HBK is getting boring now.

Talking Smack was funny this week, Sleazy Santa was good.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a great episode. Ellsworth getting destroyed was a long time coming, and brilliantly done. I'm intrigued to see where the thing with Carmella is going, I wonder whether he's going to be made over to fit with her style a little bit. That could be funny.

I still couldn't help thinking "You're not going to win" when Ziggler was facing AJ, then I popped when Corbin came out and gave him an End Of Days. I didn't realise quite how much of a hoss he was until I saw him standing almost a foot taller than Ziggler.

The Luchadora/Becky thing was pretty obvious, but Becky did a great job not looking like Becky Lynch under a hood until she had to and I love the Becky/Alexa thing at the moment. Alexa does have great expression and is playing the cowardly heel wonderfully. The Natalya turn was very well done.

The Miz/Crews/Renee thing was gold. Miz is absolutely amazing and the commentators sold it beautifully as well. Ambrose & Renee Vs Miz & Maryse? Renee at ringside to counter MAryse's presence? This could be a great angle, especially his run in after Ambrose's match It's no wonder he's a shoe-in for best heel this year.

The Ambrose/Wyatts thing was pretty good and is setting up a Shield Wyatts match, or making people think they're setting up a Shield/Wyatts match somewhere down the road.

Mojo and Hawkins were there.

The main was good, set things up nicely for next week, but Ziggler's Shawn Michaels hand-me-down tights annoyed the piss out of me. He needs a serious gimmick overhaul.

Raw dragged again this week. If it wasn't for all the money they were getting for it Raw would benefit from losing that extra hour, I think as you can tell they have to pad. Creatively Smackdown feels like it has more direction as well. There are more feuds going on, and more compelling stories.

Simply, SDL has a more sustainable running time and a better Head Writer. It seems being a chaser of the females (according to Cody Rhodes) doesn't restrict your ability to write a good show, whereas it seems being Brian Gerwitz-Lite (according to Cody Rhodes) does.

• Paid Members

I like Shawn Michaels and 80s hair bands just like Dolph. But I don't want to see Dolph cosplaying as hybrid of the two every week. He also got zero reaction when he came out both times. People actually don't give a fuck anymore. He needs to go away and reinvent himself.

• Paid Members

Surprised how popular this show was. Thought the Styles/Ellsworth stuff was great again and the rest all had a focus towards next week but it didn't thrill me anymore than the usually solid efforts.

That Becky Lynch angle was the most blatant angle ever. Decent work by both but just so obvious.

Really enjoying Orton in the Wyatts and The Miz continues to be ... awesome.

What the fuck was D-Bry wearing?

The women's division on Smackdown is just worlds apart from Raw, isn't it? I've been saying recently how I don't really see that much in Sasha, but I'm thinking now it's just because the writing for the women is so much better on SD. Raw's a three hour show that generally only manages to find one interview segment worth of time for the women in which Charlotte invariably does the basic heel act, making herself look good and running down the face. She's good at it and I'm not belittling her contribution, and Raw does tend to give some premium slots for matches to the women, but it's all very tightly focused on Charlotte and the title. On a shorter show SD has run at least two separate women's feuds going at all times, complete with stories and actual character motivations. As a consequence, I'm more interested in the likes of Carmella and Natalya as characters than I am in Sasha - which seems nuts. Fair play for the work they're doing.

Given that AJ Styles is walking away with the wrestler of the year award, who would we have for second? Miz has to be in with a shot at the silver in that category, as well as the gold for best heel. I feel like there's so much mileage in AJ as a bad guy still, especially if Balor, Gallows and Anderson come over in the draft. Yet I also want to see AJ as a babyface feuding with Miz. They're both on such great form.

Carmella was really good too in both her appearances. Not sure how I feel about the jealousy storyline, because of the content and the two people in it it feels more like a divas feud rather than something from the womenswrestlingclapclapclapclapclap era. "And that's why your man will never marry you!" It's already a bit archaic. Natalya seemed like she got lost a few times in that promo as well. Still, they do a much better job with the women here than on Raw. I've enjoyed how they keep Becky vs Alexa going.

Archived