Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
27 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

AOP are bigger lads than the Ascension, though, surely? And have the added benefit of having Paul Ellering with them - presumably they'd bring him to the main roster with them, unless he's not up for the touring schedule?

That was something that crossed my mind yesterday, actually.

I suppose Ellering could just do TV each week, and PPVs as they come round?

• Awards Moderator
36 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

That Jinder segment was atrocious. 

"Ha ha, his face! His slitty-eyed little face!"

And using the misprounouced word 'rook' was just... ugh.

Why isn't Nakamura getting any comeback?

• Paid Members

Indeed. I don't really watch Smackdown anymore because Jinder is such a jabroni. Fair play to WWE, they've given him time, gimmicks and wins to try and get over as a main eventer, but some people just don't have it and, right now, Jinder has yet to show he's not one of them. This JBL-style build doesn't half make you appreciate how hard JBL hustled to get over.

Jinder looks better than JBL, but that's it. He's Indian, though, so BOOO!

WWE SmackDown has just about everything it needs, except for a legitimate No. 1 heel.

The blue brand seems to be moving full steam ahead with the push of Kevin Owens as its top villain, partly because Owens is a great performer but also because of a lack of other options. WWE has done a poor job of spreading the wealth when it comes to the company's heels, overloading Raw with most of the its best antagonists while SmackDown has been shafted in that department, with an unproven Jinder Mahal forced into a main event role while stars like Rusev have served as fodder for top babyfaces to feast on.

Owens has, almost by default, become SmackDown's go-to heel, but his history as the supposed top heel on his respective brand shows that it may not work out the way WWE would hope. Owens held the Universal Championship on Raw from August 29, 2016 to March 5, 2017, an incredibly lackluster period that resulted in a significant downturn for the red brand, which saw it's ratings drop 10% drop, from Q1 2016 to Q1 2017, when Owens last held the gold

Of course, we can't put all the blame on Owens, but it's worth noting that average live event attendance also dipped during Q4 2016 and Q1 2017, Owens held the Universal title for the majority of those quarters but didn't seem to catch on with fans the way that other heels in similar roles did. In fact, you could argue that Owens was given more opportunities than most other heels, and yet, he didn't produce the results that would have been expected of him.

Owens failed to generate the interest that many main event, or even midcard level, vilains did.

"The Monster Among Men" and "The Destroyer" could be the answers to SmackDown's heel problem.

As seen in the previous graph, 16 of Joe's 56 videos, or 28.5%, hit the one million mark, a clip well above that of Owens. Likewise, Joe had five videos hit two million views in comparison to just three for Owens. Joe has seemed to develop into a bigger heel attraction than Owens, as evidenced by the significant people viewing for the post-Extreme Rules and post-Great Balls of Fire episodes of Raw, which came the night after two pay-per-views headlined by Joe.

Thus, wouldn't it make sense for Joe or Strowman to move to the blue brand?

That leaves only one realistic option: WWE must move a top heel from Raw to SmackDown.

With Raw already possessing a boatload of great heels, not to mention most of WWE's top babyfaces as well, the show will still be able to thrive without someone like Joe or Strowman. SmackDown, meanwhile, would receive a substantial boost by adding a top antagonist, one with a proven record of headlining pay-per-views and doing so admirably.

Can Rusev do that? Maybe, but his push has already been ruined countless times. Can Mahal? He screams mid-carder, at best. What about Owens? The evidence says no.

The brand split has shafted SmackDown in the past, and it's time to remedy that. WWE must find a way to bring Strowman or Joe to Tuesday nights and help revitalize the oh-so stale blue brand in the process.

• Paid Members

The Jinder and Ziggler segments were fucking dreadful and unfortunately for SmackDow, there was nothing really great this week to cover for them, so this was a pretty poor episode I thought. Shane's promo was pretty good in that he said what he wanted, yet it didn't go on forever like these opening promos often do.

• Paid Members

I'd willingly sacrifice/put up my time on this site if it meant one final mod challenge in order to ban Wooly.

HIAC is shaping rather nicely, Women's match this week was good, Owens didn't make me want to change the channel and the Usos continue to be the best part of WWE. Good week of programming 

Archived