The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Angle was shit from week two, same as Foley. It's not all their fault, the writing and the use of the authority figure in general is fucking shit. As FUM says, it's time to ditch it.

However, both are a shadow of themselves. Even if the writing was as good as 2000, the performances wouldn't be. They're desperate to use a tiny bit of star power in a babyface authority role which is understandable but the real stars don't want to do it and the ones that do are broken down. Let it go.

• Paid Members

It doesn't help that authority figures get the worst deal in a world of scripted promos; they don't just have to remember what they're saying about their opponent, they have to remember lines for four or five segments a night, all impacting on different angles and different wrestlers, so probably even more pressure on them to get it right. For someone who's been knocked about as much as Angle or Foley, it must be a hell of a task.

• Paid Members
On 16/01/2018 at 1:58 PM, MVP RULZ said:

Rollins using the Curb stomp was a bit surprisng?

Wonder if it was a one off or Rollins is being allowed to use it again as his finisher

Just caught up with Raw - I think the lingering 2 minute sequence of Balor looking mega out of it at the end of the show is intended to either:

a) build the Curb Stomp up as a deadly move like Owen Hart’s enzugiri was after Shawn collapsed, or

b) lead to some controversy about Rollins using a dangerous “banned” move to win the match which will either get him trouble with Angle (and have Jordan get his dad to let his partner off) and/or give Balor/Balor Club motivation for a heel turn with it being the second time Seth has hurt him.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Statto said:

b) lead to some controversy about Rollins using a dangerous “banned” move to win the match which will either get him trouble with Angle (and have Jordan get his dad to let his partner off) and/or give Balor/Balor Club motivation for a heel turn with it being the second time Seth has hurt him.

That sounds far too much like storyline continuity to me. You give them far too much credit.

• Paid Members
On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, air_raid said:

That sounds far too much like storyline continuity to me. You give them far too much credit.

Not only that, but (as far as I remember) it was never kayfabe banned, he just stopped using it. They could always hand-wave that away and start referring to it as banned, and expect the audience to fill in the blanks, though.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Was Hells Gate ever reinstated or did Taker just start doing it again and nobody felt like telling him he couldn't?

After Vickie Guerrero banned it and fired him, she reinstated The Undertaker and we got that Hell in a Cell match between him and Edge. And she tried to make peace with him after. I can’t remember if she gave him Hells Gate back, but he started feuding with Big Show and beat him with it and it wasn’t banned again. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Not only that, but (as far as I remember) it was never kayfabe banned, he just stopped using it. They could always hand-wave that away and start referring to it as banned, and expect the audience to fill in the blanks, though.

They didn’t, no. But I was thinking of it being like the angle they did in TNA when they tried to get serious heel Eric Young over as a proper nasty bastard for using the piledriver as a finisher when there was an “unspoken rule amongst the boys” that no-one used it, drawing on the knowledge that many fans had that WWE had banned it’s use. 

(Being TNA, they then had EY get a knock on the head - on an episode of Xplosion, nonetheless - and become a goofy comedy babyface again, but carried on having him use the piledriver as his finisher. Then, they did the same “doesn’t care about the well-being of his fellow wrestlers” angle by giving Bully Ray the piledriver as his finisher, but didn’t stop comedy babyface EY using it in the meantime.)

Anyhow, what i’m saying was I would have been an element of “smart” knowledge expected for the angle, for which WWE would fill in the gaps for those who didn’t have that.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

Did they ever explain why Teddy Long screwed the Undertaker?

I for one don't remember. There was a blow off match between Taker and Punk on SmackDown (because OF COURSE Hell In A Cell wasn't the end of it) which I remember being enjoyable and faint memory of Taker extracting a little revenge on Scott Armstrong, but nothing in the way of explanation, I'd have to GTS (Google That Shit) and it's not worth it. I'd be interested to see if anyone else actually remembers, based on the amount of shitchatting that goes on about both continuity and that the company has put on largely forgettable telly for a VERY long time.