The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Also, how many times was Cena either in the main event as challenger, or being pushed as more important than the champion?

I like Cena, but to pretend he hasn't been the complete and only focus of the company for the great majority of his career is a bit silly just because he didn't have the belt.

Is that aimed at me? I don't think I was pretending anything. John Cena is the star of WWE, champ or not, and has been for a long time. I was just pointing out the facts against the specific argument that John Cena is an omni-champ.

I think the real kicker was during Punk's reign where Cena headlined over the WWE title matches wrestling such opponents as:

Big Show,

John Laurinitis,

Kane

MITB match

(He also wrestled Rock and Brock but those are obviously fine)

• Paid Members

I think someone needs to think about what "headline" and "main event" actually mean. Why wouldn't your most over, biggest selling star be your headliner?

I think someone needs to think about what "headline" and "main event" actually mean. Why wouldn't your most over, biggest selling star be your headliner?

No one is saying they shouldn't. You may have misunderstood some sarcasm.

Some people are saying that Cena's sub-Hogan grasp on the WWE title over the last ten years is no reason to think he hasn't dominated the company in that time, though Tiger Rick has clarified that he didn't mean to imply that anyway.

Is there a more consistent performer than Cena at the moment? I haven't watched a full episode of Raw since the night after Mania, but I'll always go out of my way to catch his open challenges. He's never been as good as he is at the moment.

He's been this great for years, he just wasn't having Wade Barrett, Sami Zayn and every other cunt surviving his finishers in mini-TakervsMichaels matches up until he started doing this Kurt Angle tribute.

Also, how many times was Cena either in the main event as challenger, or being pushed as more important than the champion?

I like Cena, but to pretend he hasn't been the complete and only focus of the company for the great majority of his career is a bit silly just because he didn't have the belt.

In which case, the people the initial poster mentioned are very silly to cry when Cena has got the belt.

Edited by King Pitcos

Is there a more consistent performer than Cena at the moment? I haven't watched a full episode of Raw since the night after Mania, but I'll always go out of my way to catch his open challenges. He's never been as good as he is at the moment.

I can't say I watch much wrestling these days but fuck me, Cena's year-and-a-half between 2006 and 2007 was as good a run as anybody's ever had (7's a great number in wrestling).

His feud with Edge in 06 was ace and he cemented himself at Wrestlemania against Triple H. The build up to and match with RVD at One Night Stand was as entertaining as they get. There must have been a lot of vitamins in his Christmas dinner at the end of that year though.

He started 2007 by carrying Umaga to one of the best matches of the past 20 years. A few months later him and Shawn Michaels had a Wrestlemania classic. Cena, Michaels, Orton and Edge had the best 4-way match ever a few weeks after that. He turned into Ricky Steamboat against the Great Khali at One Night Stand and gave Khali the best match of Khali's career. He did the same for Bobby Lashley in July.

There aren't many guys who've had periods like that. Austin, Michaels, Flair, Hart, Angle, Rock might've. But not many more. When it comes to who wrestlers had their career defining moment or match with, Cena's probably the greatest common denominator of them all. 

• Paid Members

I haven't watched it in years and years, but I remember being really disappointed in the Michaels vs. Cena match at Wrestlemania 23.

The Cena backlash was at its most fun by that point, and throughout the prior year Cena had been involved in some fantastic matches whenever they played up to it. Going against Triple H at Wrestlemania 22, RVD at One Night Stand and Edge at Unforgiven, it was a tonne of the fun whenever Cena would subtly play heel and/or his opponent would subtly play babyface against him. I expected the same from Shawn, particularly in front of the smart Mania crowd, but for whatever reason we got none of it. Whether Shawn wanted to solidify Cena as the babyface, or they were both just too focussed on having a technically good match, I don't know. It just felt like a huge step down from the aforementioned brilliant main events because it didn't exploit what was still novel and exciting back then; the bonkers reaction their top babyface was receiving. Felt like a real missed opportunity.

Now I've mentioned it I might go back and watch One Night Stand 2006 again. What an amazing moment when the crowd kept throwing Cena's hat back at him. Cena's the best.

John Cena has never looked more cool or bad-ass than when he lowered his head, lifted the belt above his head, and strutted down the entrance through the overwhelming wave of hatred coming from all directions at One Night Stand 2006.

This is the best photo I could find through google:

Cenaboo1_display_image.png

(Fun fact: the guy with the spiky hair shouting at him is the creator of those WE HATE CENA t-shirts that used to be very popular).

I don't know if an over-excited drunk ECW fan having a crack at him was very likely that night, but for him to go out and brawl in the crowd only enhanced how much of a tough guy he was that night.

Edited by dopper

• Awards Moderator

John Cena has never looked more cool or bad-ass than when he lowered his head, lifted the belt above his head, and strutted down the entrance through the overwhelming wave of hatred coming from all directions at One Night Stand 2006.

Totally agree. Weren't you there Dopper?