LDN Wrestling presents World of Sport on ITV

Big Rob

Young kids who want WWE, only really want WWE anyway don't they?

Exactly. It's different when looking at it from a live show perspective, as there's only a handful of opportunities all year to watch a WWE live show. But in terms of television, when the WWE is putting out 8-12 hours of programming a week. And there's more access to it than ever before.

Recent approaches to wrestling TV have been way off the mark. It's not the hardcores you want. It's the casuals. The blokes coming in from the pub, the bored retirees flicking channels... people who won't be going online to seek out wrestling. Cater to their expectations, and you have an audience.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said for years the only way back on TV is Brit style, i know its what TV Wants by discussions over the years. We cant compete with the Americans in all the glitz and glamour, i was part of the British American football league in the early 80s it failed for the same reason it was a cheap version of the real thing.

British style wrestling over rounds can compete with American style, nobody would call, Finlay, Rocco, Marty jones, Danny Collins and Chic Cullen boring they were great exciting wrestlers who gave great entertainment and had they been allowed off the leash could have kept Brit wrestling alive.

We at WAW Do many Brit style matches, we have many kids at our shows and our attendances are rising, so that goes against the idea, the new generation dont want to see it. If its presented right people will support it.

Whoever gets TV, People will bitch and moan as its not their favourite company, i dont care who has it, its BRITISH WRESTLING,on mainstream tv ffs, lets all get behind it, support it and give it the best chance possible to succeed.

• Paid Members

I agree fully, if its done right.

I'm excited by the prospect of it being a WoS style. Personally, when it comes to viewing, I don't care whether its Brit, US, Mexican, Japanese or bloody French, as long as its not exactly the same as something else which is currently accessible done to a better standard. I want to see the best version of what it is trying to be.

It needs to gain my interest as a fan and the prospect of being a modern WoS format with possible ITV production values, does excite me quite a lot.

Also, I'm not wanting to disrespect any other Brit fed with my comments, but there are groups I will buy in too and others that just don't do it for me. I'd rather pay an extra fiver to see the same wrestlers at a hall, booked in a way that spikes my interest, rather than a cheap ticket to see the same lads phone it in round the back of the smelly Stevens working mans club. I don't want to get behind something just because its there regardless of whether its shite or not.

This WoS thing does however sound great on very initial first impression and ill be spreading the word to others.

• Paid Members

Interesting, potentially very exciting news. I agree with the few who have said presenting this very much as a 'British wrestling product' is the way to go rather than a poor copycat version of the big time. And that, that style of British Wrestling already has a strong enough identity and respect (within wrestling at least) that it can differ from U.S style of wrestling as Japan and Lucha has for years.

I actually think and have so for ages that there is a market for this kind of thing. Much more so than people realise or are simply willing to acknowledge and admit. It's a matter of getting all the pieces right. Production and reaching a wide audience has always been a big factor, ITVs part here could be really significant in that respect. There's certainly great potential there I reckon.

Well done to Bagga and co if this has come about through him.

EDIT: The show is planned to be broadcast on one of the ITV channels.

I'm pretty shocked ITV4 hadn't went for this long before now. I remember when they'd show a load of MMA promotions a few years back. They seem open minded about putting stuff like this on one of their channels.

This has got to be on ITV4, surely. Look at the programmes on there - Minder, The Professionals, Cheers, IPL, Europa League, some international footy, I think it has some rugby too. That's the perfect channel for WoS to be on. That can work. No way will it be on ITV1. I'd think it was a real misjudgement if it were on ITV2 (programmes such as Celebrity Juice and TOWIE) or ITV3.

I think if it were on ITV4, you'll get men who remember the halcyon days of WoS and will at least have a look out of curiosity. You might get some who think 'not as good as it used to be when you had Mick McManus on there' (just imagining my Dad saying that) but this is the best chsnce we have. WoS was a big part of the British culture. It's worth trying to rekindle that. I'd prefer not to have cringeworthy British promos like Transatlantic. I hope we don't get that again.

They need to have Rollerball Rocco as a colour commentator, or presenter or something. He was great on UK Boot Camp and is a recognisable face from the old days.

• Paid Members

Have some of the old timers such as rocco being the heads of factions (heenan family esque). That way they could be recognisable and on screen regularly, whilst giving them a purpose to be there, rekindle some old feuds but with younger generation being the workers competing in the traditional style.

I'd enjoy that.

I think this sounds potentially ace. I'm imagining something closer to the Bushido/UWFi programs that were running on telly a few years ago - a product that plays on the history of British wrestling but incorporates some presentational ideas from boxing and MMA.

That's probably way wide of the mark, but it seems like it's a way to "renew" the style.

I agree. Every time I watch Boxing, I always feel there's a lot of elements in terms of presentation that would work well in presentation. They should definitely treat it as a sport programme, as opposed to an entertainment programme. I don't want Joe Shitarse and Patrick "the dad from This Is England" Lennon commentating, I want proper sports commentators and a studio with pundits like Rollerball Rocco and Nigel McGuinness discussing height advantages and such.

Also, surely big Harry Smith was made for this role? The free agent son of the British Bulldog would be my number 1 pick for this promotion. It's got the nostalgia and pedigree that will attract Joe Bloggs's dad flicking through the channels utterly scooby-doo'd after a night at the pub.

I think this sounds potentially ace. I'm imagining something closer to the Bushido/UWFi programs that were running on telly a few years ago - a product that plays on the history of British wrestling but incorporates some presentational ideas from boxing and MMA.

That's probably way wide of the mark, but it seems like it's a way to "renew" the style.

I agree. Every time I watch Boxing, I always feel there's a lot of elements in terms of presentation that would work well in presentation. They should definitely treat it as a sport programme, as opposed to an entertainment programme. I don't want Joe Shitarse and Patrick "the dad from This Is England" Lennon commentating, I want proper sports commentators and a studio with pundits like Rollerball Rocco and Nigel McGuinness discussing height advantages and such.

Yes, I've always thought that this would work well over here. People are accustomed to seeing that kind of sports presentation and I think it could work well. Even down to having the odd stat about the match come up as an on-screen graphic to give it that sports feel. I don't know what stat it would be - something like 'pin attempts' springs to mind though. Something to give it that authentic feel. Obviously in the internet age, people are going to be wise to the fact it's pre-determined but it helps you suspend your disbelief. I've had conversations with people who say 'that American stuff' is all fake but British wrestling was real.

Doug Williams as well. One of the better known UK wrestlers thanks to TNA and Challenge TV. He must be able to wrestle the style really well.

They only really need a sheen of sporting realism - tournaments, standings, proper interviews after matches. Weight classes, stats, that sort of thing. Even if a lot of matches are catch weight, it helps. Referring to bouts happening around the country as well (I guess LDN have enough shows to make this work). The odd international chap from Japan or even the US.

And have the presenter open from an actual sports desk somewhere, before throwing down to ringside commentary, ala the old World Of Sport handover on Grandstand.

I'm actually quite up for this - I'll definitely give it a watch.

EDIT: it's actually quite crucial that the usual suspects are nowhere near this. No Wrestlecrap TV, no British Roundup. None of that poundshop Britwres malarkey. I'd give a pass to Mo Chatra though as I liked him on Bushido.

There's likely guys from WAW who could be good on this show as they're used to wrestling that traditional British style. That presentation idea excites me. It being on ITV4 excites me (if that happens. Surely it will though). That's the best chance it has of succeeding. And I'd be surprised if it moved from ITV4, but it'd fit with their portfolio and British wrestling would be on proper TV, done properly. The only way wrestling could work in the mainstream on something like ITV would be to do a TUF style programme on ITV2 where you have the wrestling interspersed with reality TV. And I think it'd be very hard to make that work and have the interesting/relatable characters for it.

The whole presentation and rule system of WoS lends itself to entertaining TV. I love the match stats idea, as long as they're done on the fly between rounds, and are accurate. Onscreen graphics for the wrestlers a la UFC would be a good primer before bouts, as would quick VTs explaining specific rules (I'd imagine there'd be a quick intro vid at the start of the show explaining the general system).

The rounds system really could work wonders. Instead of managers, have proper seconds/cornermen. It'd be a great rub for an up-and-comer to have Rocco acknowledged as his corner man. Plus you could even use it to build subtle factions, tag teams, or even simple face/heel divides.

I don't understand people who claim WoS just leads to bland technical wrestling. The whole thing is made for character work, from the simple entrances and opening handshakes to the round breaks and steadier style. Loads of opportunity for personalities to shine. It shouldn't be about who's got the biggest "move set" or who hits their finisher first; it should be about the characters and the story.

One thing I don't want to see is lots of twenty-somethings in ill fitting suits pretending to be professional commentators or authority figures. Give me some grown ups. If it wants to be taken in any way seriously, it can't be presented by blokes who look or sound like they belong behind the customer desk in Maplins.

I'll finish now before I start fantasy-booking this thing.

• Paid Members
The rounds system really could work wonders. Instead of managers, have proper seconds/cornermen. It'd be a great rub for an up-and-comer to have Rocco acknowledged as his corner man. Plus you could even use it to build subtle factions, tag teams, or even simple face/heel divides.

I think this would be a great concept.

One of my favourite WCW matches from the early 90's is Ron Simmons v Lex Luger from Halloween Havoc 91. It was a 2/3 falls match with Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race in their respective corners. In between falls you had Rhodes giving Simmons advice and a pep talk, which made the match come across differently to the regular bouts and a bit more legit.

Doug Williams as well. One of the better known UK wrestlers thanks to TNA and Challenge TV. He must be able to wrestle the style really well.

They only really need a sheen of sporting realism - tournaments, standings, proper interviews after matches. Weight classes, stats, that sort of thing. Even if a lot of matches are catch weight, it helps. Referring to bouts happening around the country as well (I guess LDN have enough shows to make this work). The odd international chap from Japan or even the US.

And have the presenter open from an actual sports desk somewhere, before throwing down to ringside commentary, ala the old World Of Sport handover on Grandstand.

I'm actually quite up for this - I'll definitely give it a watch.

EDIT: it's actually quite crucial that the usual suspects are nowhere near this. No Wrestlecrap TV, no British Roundup. None of that poundshop Britwres malarkey. I'd give a pass to Mo Chatra though as I liked him on Bushido.

Would you bring back the old WoS theme as well though?

Archived