LDN Wrestling presents World of Sport on ITV

Big Rob

Linkage: http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb10974041.htm and http://www.ldnwrestling.com

WOS Wrestling Ltd and ITV Studios Limited have come to terms to resurrect ITV's iconic World of Sport Wrestling.

ITV's televised wrestling broadcast from 1955 to 1988, and drew huge ratings with an average viewership of 8.5 million; at it's peak an audience of 18 million tuned in for the 1981 Big Daddy vs. Giant Haystacks match at Wembley. Other British wrestlers such as Mick McManus, Jackie "Mr TV" Pallo, Les Kellett, and "Bomber" Pat Roach all became household names. So popular was ITV's wrestling that a 1963 event held at the Royal Albert Hall featured Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh, as a guest of honour.

World of Sport Wrestling utilises a highly respected technical style drawn up by the late Admiral Lord Mountevans in the Committee Rooms of Great Britain's Houses of Parliament.

The comeback event at Croydon's Fairfield Halls, which is being taped for ITV, will feature new wrestlers, but promises to be in the spirit of traditional World of Sport Wrestling, utilizing the Mountevans rules. A number of the original World of Sport Wrestling legends will also be making a special appearance, including the masked man of mystery Kendo Nagasaki, and the man widely considered the world

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm very intrigued, however, I'd like to hear more from the well informed old school chaps on here about this. Can anyone shed any further light? Does it sound like its going to be a good representation, or is it going to be a typical Brit fed show with a one off gimmick?

Maybe a stupid question. It's just if I go, I want to relive the original days as much as possible.

Mixed bag in my opinion like others have stated. British wrestling has done a lot to shake the stereotype of WOS wrestling. Why do we need to revisit this period. For nostalgia sake fair play a one off show would probably be a hit but a weekly show that i veryuch doubt will compare to what america has to offer.

If i see two large blokes attempting to wrestle a match under a rounds system i will through my tv at the wall.

This could be great under the right people. Unfortunatly what i have seen of LDN has me worried.

• Moderators
British wrestling has done a lot to shake the stereotype of WOS wrestling.

Eh? Which stereotype? Fans of wrestling itself surely think more of top bouts and top talent like Rollerball, Marty Jones, Rocco and McManus than Crabtree and Haystacks. WOS was wonderful stuff! And the people who still think of WOS as being Big Daddy splashing away still will, regardless of what Britwres does. Not sure what you're getting at there at all.

Anyway, this is wonderful news. Well done to LDN.

Well this is all a bit jolly! The World of Sport-esque stuff went down like a lead balloon at the last infinite show and I get the impression that it has a very niche audience these days. With so many people being exposed to the american style, then I'd say this may bomb even if done properly. As others have said WTTV/Shane etc are going to be pissed as well.

Hope it works, I just dont think the audience is there for it being sustained on TV these days though :(

• Moderators

I'd say it's got more a chance than anything else would these days. My dad loved watching the old stuff on Men and Movies, if PCW or FWA or anywhere else running these days were to turn up on telly he'd just reach for the clicker and put on Storage Wars. I could be wrong, but iirc Herbie said once that WOS was the most successful thing he had on TWC by a bit.

I'd say it's got more a chance than anything else would these days. My dad loved watching the old stuff on Men and Movies, if PCW or FWA or anywhere else running these days were to turn up on telly he'd just reach for the clicker and put on Storage Wars. I could be wrong, but iirc Herbie said once that WOS was the most successful thing he had on TWC by a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well up for it being a success. I just think after the initial nostalgia hit " Yay! Proper wrestling!", that even if done properly then is going to be much as you describe with your old man, in the sense of turning it over, and put on something else.. Celebrity Wrestling did much to further tarnish the stuff and people tuning in for Big Daddy etc are in for a surprise as well

I reckon if they did in the way you laid out a federation for kids in a post eons ago, it could help longevity as people could jump straight in and would be set.

Just so you know ITV Studios make programmes for all manner of channels - not just ITV, so there is a chance this won't end up on ITV 1 2 3 or 4. Personally I've never been a fan of British wrestling, but I respect people doing things people say they'll never be able to do, so I applaud whoever put this together.

Seeing a lot of reaction on twitter and Facebook from people in the business who are very upset at this - you guys obviously aren't working hard enough.

Edit - just saw that Brian Elliott has said it's "not a one off" - very interesting.

Archived