LDN Wrestling presents World of Sport on ITV

Big Rob

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think that casual TV viewers are more likely to watch a British product that harks back than leans forward.

From what I can tell, those after a cutting edge fix will already be torrenting it.

Thanks Butch.

will feature current LDN wrestlers

So it's not necessarily an LDN show, nor are they necessarily providing all the wrestlers?

Are you blind? LDN is literally all over this. Go to buy tickets from the fairfield halls, its listed as LDN wrestling.

I actually agree that the show being formatted like WOS along with the WOS name & this being treated like a reboot could generate more interest & appeal more to the mainstream than anything "britwres/america lite" ever could. In the long run it needs a modern twist & some decent talent as opposed to LDN's shite product.

I am not disputing Bagga or LDN's success which is down to fundamental basic promoting & hard work just the viability of that low quality product as a tv program, especially one trying to continue the WOS name

• Paid Members

WWE is hardly in a boom period, this country isn't begging for more of it, so why put on a British version? If people want to see that style, they'll watch WWE. World of Sport style I'd agree has more of an interest, even if it's not the younger audience- my old man still watches WoS repeats and records them and makes me watch them when I visit.

And why is everyone so fixated on targeting the younger audience? Makes sense to aim for the older audience if you ask me.

Well done to all involved, sounds very promising indeed.

• Paid Members

When a network gets involved they usually have a big hand in presentation. As I said earlier, I'm not expecting it to be ran from a venue that looks like my junior school. From my understanding its LDN working with ITV to produce a World of Sport show. It isn't ITV getting a load of matches and copying them onto a tape and slapping them on TV like that Round Up shite. Its original content broadcast on ITV.

I am expecting Dickie Davies, though.

Its a completely different scenario but people had similar concerns about a show looking shit compared to America and about it being a complete joke to the masses with Doctor Who and that's become a pretty big deal.

• Paid Members
Are you blind?

Not really, no. I read the press release - the one that neither mentioned LDN or Bagga. And I didn't go to buy tickets, so didn't see the event listings. I just asked a question - whether or not this was just an LDN association, or if it was their deal; I made no assumptions like others did.

the viability of that low quality product as a tv program, especially one trying to continue the WOS name

I agree with you there. This needs to be something fresh with high production standards.

• Paid Members
Surely rounds caters to people with short attention spans as the match is broken up into bite sized chunks? It's not like people aren't used to the concept of rounds from boxing and/or MMA anyway. I think it'll do surprisingly well in the ratings.

You can use them to split the match up, or you can build on each previous round to build recognition of characters and signature spots, or use the bell to provide a sort of false finish. It provides you with a psychological tool similar to "beat the clock" type matches, or the WWF matches that used to go to a 20 minute draw.

I've never seen a show where every match was fought in rounds that didn't have the audience engaged.

Its great but only hardcore wrestling fans are going to watch old style wrestling. kids these days want their john cenas and rey mysterios, they want action and over the top characters, itll be a challenge to keep their attention for one whole match before they decide to flick through channels or put on wwe on sky sports.

So WOS never had a bodybuilder, or a masked highflyer, or an over the top character, or action?

Spend a bit of time on YouTube before you make any more posts that are this ignorant.

Although the deals are all done, there's way too much to be confirmed publicly before any further guessing can be done. However, it's safe to say that if you aren't a fan of the LDN rounds system, or how close they work towards classic World of Sport style, you shouldn't be disappointed when you don't get PCW. Those who are interested in LDN's style of wrestling can expect an attractive but non-explosive production for the HD generation.

EDIT: The show is planned to be broadcast on one of the ITV channels.

The example I would give is Doctor Who. Another British TV icon "killed" by Greg Dyke, it was brought back with a network that was on board, and a producer who understood the shows core value, and was able to modernise it for a new audience.

There's no reason why that can't happen with WOS, as long as you create uniquely British characters, and that doesn't necessarily mean some lad who claps his hands, stamps his feet and tries to lead a "Eng ger lund" chant while he wrestles... another lad from England.

• Paid Members
EDIT: The show is planned to be broadcast on one of the ITV channels.

I'm pretty shocked ITV4 hadn't went for this long before now. I remember when they'd show a load of MMA promotions a few years back. They seem open minded about putting stuff like this on one of their channels.

• Paid Members
Those who are interested in LDN's style of wrestling can expect an attractive but non-explosive production for the HD generation.

This is a horrendous statement. You're essentially saying it will be pretty but dull. I do hope you're not their official PR guy.

Not every match on WOS was belly bouncing or slow, methodical matwork. Some of them were dynamic, athletic, hard hitting and - dare I say it - explosive.

Are you blind?

Not really, no. I read the press release - the one that neither mentioned LDN or Bagga. And I didn't go to buy tickets, so didn't see the event listings. I just asked a question - whether or not this was just an LDN association, or if it was their deal; I made no assumptions like others did.

the viability of that low quality product as a tv program, especially one trying to continue the WOS name

I agree with you there. This needs to be something fresh with high production standards.

Taken from twitter.

@LDNSanjayBagga: LDN Wrestling's huge announcement on our tv deal on the LDN website http://t.co/w7SOP8yZPl"

Anyone who thinks this is anything more than an advertising name & gimmick for LDN is completely delusional from the information that is available so far. I really hope I end up being proven wrong on this.

The example I would give is Doctor Who. Another British TV icon "killed" by Greg Dyke, it was brought back with a network that was on board, and a producer who understood the shows core value, and was able to modernise it for a new audience.

There's no reason why that can't happen with WOS, as long as you create uniquely British characters, and that doesn't necessarily mean some lad who claps his hands, stamps his feet and tries to lead a "Eng ger lund" chant while he wrestles... another lad from England.

Yeah, like I said, there's similarities but its also completely different. Who had Ecclestone, RTD and other exceptional television names. We don't know that that's true with LDN. Who was recreated by some exceptionally talented and televisual minds. And plus wrestling is far, far more limited.

But yeah, there's potential there I think. Its too early to think it'll be shit, and too early to think it'll be good I think. People like nostalgia and distinctly British television. They're not impossible things to market. It needs more to be sustained long term but still. Family show, British, nostalgic, easy and lazy (that's my view of wrestling in general, not LDN), there's things there that appeal. But if Bagga and Chapman and whoever else worked this hard to get it to this point, then that's promising and good to 'em.

I was at the first LDN show actually. It was in a local high school and Ashe did a moonsault from a cupboard. Strange to think how far its come.

Archived