LDN Wrestling presents World of Sport on ITV

Big Rob

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those who are interested in LDN's style of wrestling can expect an attractive but non-explosive production for the HD generation.

This is a horrendous statement. You're essentially saying it will be pretty but dull. I do hope you're not their official PR guy.

Not every match on WOS was belly bouncing or slow, methodical matwork. Some of them were dynamic, athletic, hard hitting and - dare I say it - explosive.

"...non-explosive PRODUCTION..." As in TV production. I wouldn't expect to see pyro rockets shooting across Fairfield Halls. Personally, that isn't how I judge a wrestling show, anyway.

Just to clarify, LDN will be the sole content provider for the show. ITV will be handling the production of the show, although obviously LDN and WoS Wrestling will have some influence.

• Paid Members
Just to clarify, LDN will be the sole content provider for the show. ITV will be handling the production of the show, althought obviously LDN and WoS Wrestling will have some influence.

Thought as much. This is the best deal for them. TV people provide the presentation and the wrestling people provide the wrestling. Again, they really should bring Dickie Davies to introduce the show.

If I was a wrestling promoter I'd be head butting the walls with jealously. This is a big deal.

I've thought for a long time that for British wrestling to move forward properly it needs to go back to it's traditions first and modernise, not to make itself more American. British films, music, sports and TV shows have a completely different look/sound/emphasis to their American equivalents and it stands to reason that British wrestling should too.

Look at the successful Mexican or Japanese promotions, which definately have evolved over time but still have a very distinctive feel of Mexican or Japanese wrestling. They definately don't have the look and feel of a US indie group.

I don't know that it will work, but I think something which takes World is Sport updated for the 21st century might (provided it is given time for people to get into) have a chance. I welcome this news and look forward to seeing the results.

This sounds fantastic. A big TV company like ITV operating the purse strings and handling production on a wrestling show with a unique niche and a known brand name? I'm really excited. I would love a good old weekly hour-long traditional wrestling show with a bit of flash about it, it's like Worldwide's back on Channel Five!

If anything, this is absolute proof that the UKFF will get behind British wrestling when it's done properly. I'm glad someone's doing this properly for a change.

• Moderators
I probably won't watch the show but I wish them all the success in the world if it continues to upset Britwres twats. Hilarious reactions.

Yeah, the classic BritWres response really. Fighting over crumbs.

• Paid Members
Those who are interested in LDN's style of wrestling can expect an attractive but non-explosive production for the HD generation.

This is a horrendous statement. You're essentially saying it will be pretty but dull. I do hope you're not their official PR guy.

Not every match on WOS was belly bouncing or slow, methodical matwork. Some of them were dynamic, athletic, hard hitting and - dare I say it - explosive.

"...non-explosive PRODUCTION..." As in TV production. I wouldn't expect to see pyro rockets shooting across Fairfield Halls. Personally, that isn't how I judge a wrestling show, anyway.

And what part of my post suggested I wanted pyros and pointless set dressing? You're talking to a guy that regularly did the holiday camp circuit, wrestling in rounds, with no entrance ways, no stage, no lights, no pyros. What makes you think I judge a wrestling show by its inclusion of fireworks?

As I say, I hope you're not their official PR guy.

Great news and I couldn't care less about those who think it will take British wrestling back to "The dark ages". Which is a fucking stupid notion since when world of sport was on television we had some of the best talent on our screens. Talent may I add a bare handfull of the current wrestlers in the Britwres scene couldn't even hope to imitate.

Oh and I think there should be a new Big Daddy gimmick called Large Father or Son of Daddy.

And what part of my post suggested I wanted pyros and pointless set dressing? You're talking to a guy that regularly did the holiday camp circuit, wrestling in rounds, with no entrance ways, no stage, no lights, no pyros. What makes you think I judge a wrestling show by its inclusion of fireworks?

As I say, I hope you're not their official PR guy.

You didn't suggest any of that, nor did I infer that you did. The comment about not seeing "pyro rockets shooting across Fairfield Halls" was confirming what I meant about "non-explosive production" in my original post.

• Paid Members
As said above Bagga's worked his balls off for this. Every negative comment sounds like bitterness to me.(Sounds like a much better deal than every 4 weeks at nearly midnight followed by Full Metal Jacket and Takeshi's Castle) Congrats to all involved!

Having been on shows were both via phone and private Message, Bagga called the venue 3 times as the promotor to cancel the show, called the council and the police as the show was run in a town about 11 miles from his "patch" (and were not the only ones to have this) I am not bitter as he has achieved this, I just hate scumbags. John chapman always seemed alright to

Me though

Heard about this earlier on Facebook.

I don't think it will be hugely successful, but that is just my opinion. If it is, all the power to it & hopefully more & new U.K. Wrestling fans are created.

I just see it as the older generation of WOS Fans may check this out for a few weeks for nostalgic purposes but will quickly lose interest or will see it as 'Not as it once was'.

The youth of today will just find it plain boring. The reason WOS Wrestling went off the air in 1988 is because it just couldn't compare to the glitz, glamour & razzmatazz of the American style of Wrestling.

Professional Wrestling has evolved & unless you try evolving & changing with the times for todays audience I can't see many people being interested by this when Wrestling fans have their WWE & TNA on TV & all the Indy's, Japanese & Mexican Wrestling to watch if you're a hardcore fan.

The old style will not attract current era of Wrestling fans IMO.

They should attempt more of a British Product but with an American style & with the odd storyline / entertainment type stuff with one or two of the roster with the ones charismatic enough to do it & pull it off. But unless it is portrayed like that I really don't see this being a success.

Would be nice for this to get viewers, ratings & popularity if it gives television exposure to U.K. talents the likes of Kris Travis, Martin Kirby, CJ Banks, Fight Club, B.T. Gunn, Dave Rayne, Andy Wild, Bubblegum, Danny Hope, Greg Burridge, Joey Hayes, Johnny Moss, Mad Man Manson, Dave Mastiff, T-Bone, Valkabious & the like etc & to show U.K. viewers we have just as good talent here & can put on as good matches that the Americans do but I can't see that happening with the likes of the Mountevans rules in place as the card system, public warnings & rounds system etc just will not get over with the TV audience today, especially the young.

Props to John Chapman & LDN Wrestling in getting ITV to do this, well played on that part, but it needs to have a new, fresh take, not a rebirth of the old that people lost interest in once already before.

I can say I definitely see where Greg Burridge is coming from with his opinion & I agree with his sentiments. But if it does indeed turn out successful, fair play.

:thumbsup:

Archived