LDN Wrestling presents World of Sport on ITV

Big Rob

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
This is basically LDN under the WOS name and rules though isn't it? Which, as has been mentioned, is laughable. No where near a TV product. WOS was a product of its time, why can't people accept that? Bringing it back will achieve nothing.

I can almost guarantee an advertising campaign based around old British wrestling coming back would generate far more interest than the adventures of Jack Xavier and the boys next door in swimming trunks. Without imports, nobody really gives a shit. No offense intended to PCW, but would anyone actually watch them if they didn't have a reputation of bringing over all these big names? Same with the FWA? Did anyone give a shit when they couldn't afford to bring over AJ Styles anymore? At least Bagga has put the graft in, based his shows around a certain style, postered the shit out of his towns, targeted a certain fan base, gained a following and has now got a TV special/TV deal out of it. Thats more than what anyone else has got. ITV dont get their arms twisted by someone blagging them. If they did someone would have got on TV by now. ITV must have seen something they like. They aren't a charity.

heres my concern. I dont think the todays generation will take to it after watching a WWE product for years. The world we live in is a fast paced enviroment where people want everything yesterday. WWE caters to that due to the lack of a rounds system where momentum could be potentially killed.

I dont think the fans of today will invest enough time to reducate themselves with rules and rounds. I was brought up with it. its why I got involved in wrestling so the WOS generation will hopefully enjoy it like they did years ago. The mass audience of today?....im not so sure about.

Again I hope this is not the case.

• Moderators

There's far more chance of a throwback WOS style promotion doing well on ITV4 than some pound shop British WWE coming from Margate with a shit lighting rig, if you ask me. For UK TV I reckon it has to go different, this is the right way.

• Paid Members

Most wrestling fans will share those concerns, I think. Let's be honest, next to fuck all people are going to watch this and most that do will rip the piss out of it. Still, it's nice for some UK wrestling to get a slot on a proper TV channel. That's a real achievement in this day and age. Also, totally agree that a classic British wrestling product is going to be more interesting than a Poundshop WWE imitation.

• Paid Members
There's far more chance of a throwback WOS style promotion doing well on ITV4 than some pound shop British WWE coming from Margate with a shit lighting rig, if you ask me. For UK TV I reckon it has to go different, this is the right way.

I'd agree with that.

Not sure where all the hate is coming from though. Bagga works his balls off. Having said that, and I know nothing about this deal having just read it here, but why are people assuming it's an LDN TV deal? I didn't even read Bagga's name (or LDN's for that matter) in the body of the press release. Sounds to me more like LDN are associated with it through John Chapman, they'll be providing wrestlers for it, etc, but the product itself sounds new; and not just LDN shows being put on TV as is.... not sure where people even got that idea from...

• Moderators
Having said that, and I know nothing about this deal having just read it here, but why are people assuming it's an LDN TV deal? I didn't even read Bagga's name (or LDN's for that matter) in the body of the press release. Sounds to me more like LDN are associated with it through John Chapman, they'll be providing wrestlers for it, etc, but the product itself sounds new; and not just LDN shows being put on TV as is.... not sure where people even got that idea from...

Here's a bit off the LDN site.

LDN Wrestling becomes part of all-new

Its great but only hardcore wrestling fans are going to watch old style wrestling. kids these days want their john cenas and rey mysterios, they want action and over the top characters, itll be a challenge to keep their attention for one whole match before they decide to flick through channels or put on wwe on sky sports.

good luck to them. as a long term fan its great. but wrestlings moved on since then

• Paid Members
Its great but only hardcore wrestling fans are going to watch old style wrestling.

You're wrong. World of Sport has done great ratings on re-runs from 2004 until present, and on niche channels.

Archived