DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Interstellar. Stayed up after the redshite game and watched this! 

I was quite damning of it on first viewing and now it’s in my top ten of all time. It just gets better and better with each watch and I think the fact I have a little girl, makes it all the more engaging and gutwrenching.

I must have been in a foul humour when I saw it in the flicks – and I probably was coz I was in and out of the traps with the plops - but I have recanted, and I now think it a fucking masterpiece!!
And fuck everybody, Hans Zimmer score is incredible, and that No Time For Caution track makes the hairs from my undercarriage up stand on end nowadays.

Hathaway’s love speech is septic though – and one of my gripes with Nolan is his lack of subtlety in instances like that - I usually have the monkey with the cymbals going in my head when that comes on.

I only noticed it’s kind of like a companion piece to Inception. Widowed gent trying to get home to his son and daughter, while in the midst of a reality where things bend upwards and all.

Either he’s very clever or he ran out of ideas...

Had the option to go to Spectre last night, but had to decline. I'm very annoyed about this...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

A 1982 thriller called White Dog

The premise is so ridiculous I had to watch it, it's genuinely about a racist white dog that attacks black people.

A woman adopts a stray white German Shepherd but soon discovers it kills every black person it sees. I can't believe they made that shit with a straight face. It's also a terrible film.

White Dog is a weird one — it's total shite, but because it's a movie by Sam Fuller, critics have pretended that it has more value than it actually has.

Now Shock Corridor — that's a genuinely good Fuller movie.

Green Inferno. I'd been looking forward to it for a while as I like the concept and some of the ideas, but it's a waste of time really. It takes ages to get going, and none of the setup attaches you to the characters. Then when it does get going, it's interesting at times but no good. The ending was shite as well, load of nonsense.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I saw one about a suicide hotspot in Japan a few weeks ago. Think I may have mentioned it in the documentary thread actually. Here it is on youtube for those interested, they actually find a still clothed skeleton in the video.

There's loads of interesting shit in those short Vice documentaries on youtube.

there's a movie coming out about the forest called Sea of Trees.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3450900/

• Awards Moderator

Went to Crimson Peak this afternoon. Was a bit worried when Scott had said he didn't like it, but I'll have to disagree with him on it, I really liked it. I can certainly understand anyone going in expecting a horror film to be disappointed, but as a film in the classic Gothic tradition, it hit all the marks for me. All the classic Gothic tropes going back to the eighteenth century - creepy houses and rooms and staircases, weird ghostly appearances, violent secrets, doomed romances, weird paintings, books, wilderness, swishy dresses - it was all there. Not scary at all, really, but great fun if Gothic's your genre.

Thanks for that. Love the 30 for 30 series and I really enjoyed Foxcatcher. It's grim as anything but its well acted by all involved even Channing Tatum who probably didn't stretch himself too much to play the role of a monotone meathead.

Still desperate to get hold of the Team Foxcatcher tracksuit top that Steve Carell is wearing when he's on the shooting range, but to no avail

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Surely somebody outwith the Foxcatcher enterprise must have thought that whole wrestling setup was dodgy?

Watched "Faces of Death 2" yesterday, which, IMO, is the best of the series. Really goes for it all. Hardly any fake footage too.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Went to Crimson Peak this afternoon. Was a bit worried when Scott had said he didn't like it, but I'll have to disagree with him on it, I really liked it. I can certainly understand anyone going in expecting a horror film to be disappointed, but as a film in the classic Gothic tradition, it hit all the marks for me. All the classic Gothic tropes going back to the eighteenth century - creepy houses and rooms and staircases, weird ghostly appearances, violent secrets, doomed romances, weird paintings, books, wilderness, swishy dresses - it was all there. Not scary at all, really, but great fun if Gothic's your genre.

I went to see it last night and came out of the cinema thinking 'I don't know if that was shit or brilliant'. I think the first half could have done with being shorter as it seemed to drag a bit. Only film in a long while to have me wincing, however.

Edited by Nick James

We watched "Into The Woods" last night.

I got quite into it when being introduced to all the characters at the beginning.

Then it got less interesting.

Then they had the happy ending.

Then things go wrong again.

Then it goes on for another 35 MINUTES after I first thought it had finished.

It felt like it would never end.  :bored: