DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Ferris is a twat but its still ace.

EDIT - Sexy Beast is on 4. Your a cunt if you don't at least watch Don on +1.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Halfway into the second season of Cheers and there's not been a bad episode yet, really funny. Sam and Diane are the worst couple in the history of anything though, and Coach is still too thick to be any use other than the random character moments he gets. 

• Paid Members

Halfway into the second season of Cheers and there's not been a bad episode yet, really funny. Sam and Diane are the worst couple in the history of anything though, and Coach is still too thick to be any use other than the random character moments he gets. 

I've always preferred Woody to Coach for reasons unknown to me. I also struggle to segregate Diane & Rebecca in my memory to be honest.

• Paid Members

Have we talked about Under The Skin in this thread? I can't remember and can't be arsed searching.

I'm expecting half "It was fucking shite!" and half "It was fucking amazing!" and I'm siding in the latter camp. I thought it was completely brilliant. Jonathan Glazer needs to be made to make more films.

• Paid Members

The music was absolutely stunning. One of the most nervewracking soundtracks I've ever heard. The only thing I didn't understand was why Johansson had an English accent in it but I guess for an American it might be easier to effect than a Scottish ones. What an absolutely fearless performance as well.

• Paid Members

Sabotage - I'll apologise to the Colonel here, but it's really fucking dreadful. With such a great cast and potentially wonderful storyline, it turned out to be a strangely edited, convoluted clusterfuck. Enos is ludicrously miscast to the point that I found her overacting laughable, and the subplot and resolution involving Arnies family was just plain lazy.Harold Perrineau popped up again to further dampen my spirits. Him and his bastard cheekbones and teeth!Joe Manganiello's arms are a thing of beauty though...

I couldn't get into it. The main group are a bunch of cunts... How am I supposed to invest in them?

Well, it’s not great is it?  Pretty much echo everything said above - a more dislikeable group of characters you won’t possibly find. 

Arnie’s turn is on par with Hercules in New York which is frustrating.  I’m one of the few who think there’s a pretty decent actor in there somewhere given the right direction, but watching him in this, it’s like those skills have regressed 30 years.

Most jarring though is the dialogue – after the abortion that was Die Hard 5, I should have known better than to go into a film penned by Skip Woods with anything less than my guard up, it’s diabolical, I mean the main lot are unpleasant enough, but even the fringe characters all talk like pricks.  Awful, awful, awful.

I know there’s supposed to be a couple of big names (Arnie aside) in this - I don’t know any of them, but suffice to say, I’ve no desire to watch anything else with them in if Sabotage is anything to go by…and I know it isn’t, but still.

The closing car chase and final 5 minutes are decent, and I’ll admit, I pissed myself at “Fuck you, with your 48 percent body fat, and you, you scrawny bastard”  I’ll watch that bit again, definitely.  But even as the most staunch Arnie fan I struggle to find anything positive to say about this.

It’s funny, I made a comment about the Expendables 3 and how frustrating it was that everything cuts away so you never see a money shot, so to speak, but to prove I’m not some bloodthirsty monster, in Sabotage, they show you everything, in graphic detail, as if just for the sake of it, and I didn’t enjoy that either.  None of the violence has any real impact, it’s just there, it doesn’t add anything, and it’d be no worse a film if it wasn’t in there – I remember saying to my nan when she asked me “why I like violent movies” that it wasn’t the violence as such, it was what it meant, what it represented, a hero overcoming the odds, well that’s not what happens here.  It’s just nasty shit for the sake of giving you something to talk about in order to distract you from the fact that nothing else interesting happens.

No redeeming qualities whatsoever, and believe me, that hurts to say.

• Paid Members

And I am still searching for the early 80's british movie that it was an almost scene by scene copy of! Driving me frigging mad!

Christ, we did talk about it, didn't we? Only a few pages back or something. Bloody hell, my memory.