DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'd say the best of the series is probably Golden Ninja Warrior as the bad guy in the HK filmed parts is Korean kicking supremo Hwang Jan Lee. His influence shows in the what the other actors are doing in some of the action scenes, and there's a couple of really good jobbers in it, flipping and flying all over the place trying to make the hero look good.

There is a severe flaw in the booking of the finale though, which I summed up in two FB statuses.

That's five times you've thrown sand in his face, and now an eye rake?

and now you're kicking a man to death who's buried up to his waist in sand and can't fight back? Worst. Hero. Ever.

Which one is it that has knife-cam, where we see the POV of the knife as it flies around the house looking for someone to stab itself into?

I was looking forward to "Texas Chainsaw". What a load of dogshit.

Yeah I wasn't fond of it either, if they had stuck to the prologue and had everything take place in the years after the original it might have worked i.e when the final girl was growing up

• Paid Members

I just watched Getaway the driving based action thriller starring the improbable duo of Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez.

I loved it, It's really stupid and insanely over the top but as a fun brainless movie it's much better than I expected. You could watch The Blues Brothers twice in a row and not see as many police cars get trashed as you do in this film. Ethan Hawke was reliably good but you could easily imagine 2 dozen actors in this role and it wouldn't be a vastly different film, I've never seen Selena Gomez in anything before and she was appealing as the adorable faced annoying young girl.

Just got back from watching 22 Jump Street and I thought it was very good. A very funny comedy with some good action and a ton of jokes about sequels and breaking the fourth wall, but everything makes sense within the film. Rather than the horrible nod and wink to camera stuff you'd get from Seth MacFarlane. It helps that there's not a whole lot of slapstick, but what there is, is played straight.

• Moderators

I saw it at the weekend. I enjoyed it and thought it was very funny for the most part but some jokes were overdone, and there was a bit too much bromance for my liking.

Ice Cube does a great angry black man, much better than Sam L these days.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Has anyone seen Wrong Cops? It's a US comedy from last year about a group of awful cops but it's pretty original, the humour is really dark and quite unlike anything I've seen before but after seeing loads of shit recent US comedies I really dug it, it's directed by a French techno musician (Mr Oizo of Flat Eric fame no less) and music is used really well throughout the film in a pretty central role. If it sounds at all good to you check it out without reading too much about it because I knew nothing going in and it was all the better for it. The main cop guy was awesome too, I haven't seen him in anything else but I'd certainly like to see him in more stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes :

Better than the first. Can't wait for the third. Awesome stuff.

Almost ruined from the off by the cunt who presented his ID to the usher/cinema lady and openly acronymed it.

"I'm here for Dot Pota"

He pronounced it 'Dot Powta'.

I actually wanted to choke him.

• Awards Moderator
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes :

Better than the first. Can't wait for the third. Awesome stuff.

Almost ruined from the off by the cunt who presented his ID to the usher/cinema lady and openly acronymed it.

"I'm here for Dot Pota"

He pronounced it 'Dot Powta'.

I actually wanted to choke him.

Glad to hear it's good, really looking forward to catching it at the weekend. I won't be calling it Dotpowta.

Saw Boyhood at the weekend. Superb. Best film I've seen in ages and ages. Loved it. Can't seem to express my thoughts in sentences longer than eight words, but it's so, so good. See it.

Watched Q&A this afternoon, having watched The Verdict a few weeks ago. Every Sidney Lumet film I've seen is just totally excellent. Even Before The Devil Knows You're Dead is good, though hard to watch.

Anyway, Nolte is this huge powerhouse force of nature in Q&A and is contrasted nicely by Timothy Hutton (what happened to him?) as a more cerebral side of the law. Armand Assante is also really excellent, and he's not an actor I'd equate with nuanced performances. Definitely worth watching.

• Paid Members

Timothy Hutton was great. Check out little known 80s film "The Falcon and the Snowman" about him betraying his country to the Russkies and then facing the consequences for his actions. Tons of "I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!!!" talk at the end. Based on a true story. Poirot plays the Russian bad-guy. Great Pat Metheny & David Bowie soundtrack too.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Saw Boyhood at the weekend. Superb. Best film I've seen in ages and ages. Loved it. Can't seem to express my thoughts in sentences longer than eight words, but it's so, so good. See it.

Been looking forward to this for years. It obviously pays off, I take it, HG?

Is it as hearbreaking as it's been made out to be? I cry at Terminator 2, Armageddon, Romeo and Juliet and Long Lost Families, yet can't cry at real life, so this may be another form of celluloid induced release.