DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Just back from watching The Railway man.

Not a flim as such more of a Bio picture, Haunting and Brilliant. After watching it im going out tomorrow to find Lomax book. Its hard to imagine how someone could take so much and live to tell the tale.

Edited by quote the raven

• Awards Moderator
Off the back of some Disney chatter over here, I watched Wreck-It Ralph today. Frustratingly bad.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it dude.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see your name as exec producer, so I don't hold you responsible! It was inevitable I'd get round to watching it soon.

• Awards Moderator

Fuckin' watched The Wolf Of Wall Street today and fuckin' can't stop fuckin' saying fuck now. Excellent film, anyway, I was a bit concerned the three-hour runtime would feel overlong, but it flew by. Great stuff.

On the Disney discussion, I'm a big fan, generally speaking, but I was disappointed by Wreck-It Ralph too. Not to the extent Onyx was, but it definitely felt incongruous, especially coming off something like Tangled. Much preferred the Paperman short that was shown before it.

• Paid Members
A little harsh on Disney, Gladders. Heavyweights was piss funny.

I don't know that one!

I just never liked them. Their cartoons and films were always such wishy-washy, melodramatic mush. That said, I did like that Duck Tales game on the Gameboy and that Castle Of Illusion one on the Megadrive but I never, ever liked their films or cartoons.

• Paid Members

I used to hate Disney stuff too, but with the impending arrival of my niece or nephew, I've been getting back into them. Sky Movies on Demand have hundreds of the things on there.

Everybody hated it, but I was always a fan of "Basil: The Great Mouse Detective" in my youth.

• Paid Members
Surely you can't hate "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing?"

One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing is one of the reason kids of my generation grew up thinking that a Brontosaurus was a real thing. Other than that, it was one of my favourites as a little'un.

Yeah, the TV cartoons were always super-dull with nicey-nice Mickey and "ooh I'm right cross me" Donald and I would have the same reaction as you from the TV guide.

The one exception I'd make to this is the one where they're cleaning the clock tower, as about 50% of the time that was the short they'd show at the cinema before the main film.

The short before Frozen is done in the style of a 30s Disney cartoon (along the lines of Steamboat Mickey) and then has them break out through the screen into colour.

Its well made but its very much made to be seen in 3D, but it lost a bit as we saw it in 2D rather than 3D.

Wreak-It-Ralph is enjoyable enough that I'll watch it if there is nothing else on but it would be my first choice. Saying that, it is responsible for me and the wife using the term "Turbotastic!"

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members
Robin Hood is ace, as is Lady and the Tramp.

In fact.... you're mainly wrong Gladders, sorry.

Impossible to counter!

Keith - I watched V/H/S a few months ago. I thought the last segment with those blokes who go to the wrong house was great and the one set in the woods was pretty good. Otherwise I could take it or leave it. The sequel is supposed to be far better.

Just watched My Neighbours The Yamadas, one of the few Studio Ghibli films I hadn't seen. All the charm of Ghibli was there, but the lack of a linier narrative let it down slightly (its based on a comic strip called Nono-Chan, and is a series of short stories over the 2hr runtime). Enjoyable as you would expect Ghibli to be (by Iso Takahata, who did Grave Of The Fireflies), but lacking in repeat viewing