DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

It's 2 hours 45 mate. Regardless of whether you like it, you have to say it's a pretty impressive feat...

I'm not denying it's an impressive achievement in filmmaking, but it doesn't matter a jot to me if it's boring as hell.

I get that, and like Chest I can also see why people found it boring. Not once was I bored at all, and I actually thought the pace was good throughout. Also, it hit hard when I saw it, perhaps due to the personal situation I was in at the time, and know how much your frame of mind/mood whatever changes your perception of a film.

Still think it's great though. He's never going to top Dazed & Confused but still...

• Awards Moderator

I really enjoyed it. I knew nothing about it going into the cinema though - didn't know the gimmick, and had no hype at all. It really resonated with me at the time, but I think it may just have caught me in the right mood on the day. I can see why some people found it boring.

I loved it when I saw it, and I think you've hit the nail on why with 'resonated'. It just struck a chord with me and I left the cinema feeling all warm and fuzzy. I haven't watched it since, and kind of don't want to because I don't think that feeling could be recaptured.

Just watched Sully. It was a decent enough watch but it seemed like the whole story was rushed. Tom Hanks as always never disappoints.  The real Sullenberger obviously had balls the size of grapefruits.

Saw this last night. I know what you mean, it was a decent enough watch (only because of Hanks though to be fair) but felt like they could have done so much more, we never properly knew or had a chance to get emotionally invested in Sully and family, or how he really felt with the investigations as it felt a bit too rushed, on the other hand there is only so much you can do when basing it on a true story and for a success story I never really felt that they focused enough about the passengers to make you care/worry if they make it off the plane (I mean that in a non morbid way).

A decent watch but not enough to get me emotionally invested or enough to walk out of the cinema talking about it. Felt more like a re-make documentary at times than a film, maybe that is what it intended to be, I'm not even too sure.

Edited by Briefcase

Watched Suicide Squad last night.

I'm not even sure what to say about it. Like its not terrible, but its not even "OK" either.....it's just a movie that exists. I though Amanda Waller was real good, I thought Deadshot/Harley Quinn were good, and I even didn't mind what of saw of Leto's Joker, even though it wasn't enough to get a full flavour of him.

everything else was just "Meh" really. Almost everybody else didn't need to be in this movie at all, (the other SS members, especially Kitana as well). Enchantress was "OK", not as bad as I'd heard anyway, but again maybe not enough screen time for her.

So yeah, its a movie hah.

• Paid Members

I've not seen Crimson Peak yet, but I did think Pacific Rim was incredibly average CGI fare and critics would have been a lot harsher on it had it not had del Toro behind the camera. Some absolutely terrible performances and dialogue in that film too. He always strikes me as one of those directors who gets an easy ride from critics now due to goodwill built up from his earlier work.

• Paid Members

Yeah. Pan's Labyrinth, Cronos and especially The Devil's Backbone are all wonderful, so I can see why he gets so much credit. But like you say, Pacific Rim was bobbins and if you keep putting Charlie Hunnam in your films you deserve all you get, frankly.

• Paid Members

I've been lucky enough not to see Charlie Hunnam in anything since Pacific Rim. Absolute black hole of an actor, him.

Talking of shit actors, I still want to watch Anthropoid to see if there's anything to Jamie Dornan or if he really is as shit as he appears in The Fall.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

Just saw Rogue One. I really liked it - wouldn't say it was amazing but it was a good action film. No spoilers because I can't do this hidden thing on my phone so...

Bit confusing to start with as there are several locations you're trying to follow but I eventually got into it. Noticed some familiar faces too like Daniel Mays (love him) and Jordan Stephens from Rizzle Kicks (yes, I recognised him!). K-2SO was great, loved his sarcasm. Some of the CGI characters were a bit ropey but I'll let it go. Without naming names I kept thinking they'd found an actor who looked uncannily like another actor but then realised (when his mouth didn't match the speech and his eyes looked weird) that it was CGI.

All in all though, really enjoyed it and now need to get some sleep. 7/10

• Paid Members

Just seen it. Opening third is all over the place but once they get going it's really good and the final third in particular is fantastic with some of the best action of any of the films. Lots of references to the other films. Some good, some forced and they managed to make a great group of characters that you actually care about.

I also couldn't help but think that Branquey would love felicity's top lip.

• Paid Members

I went Broadway on my flights to and from the U.K. recently, watched six films. Was consistently unable to remember one of them because it was such a lot of nowt, and that was Crimson Peak. I watched London Has Fallen on the same flight, and I'd rather rewatch that. Del Toro had totally gone to pot, Pacific Rim was at least about massive monster battles, that tends to circumvent some of my critical faculties. The Strain is about 95% terrible, that has sapped much of my love for Del Toro.