DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Watched Europa Report today.

Not a fan of Sci if or found footage films. When done well, they are very good. Much to my surprise this did both well, it built tension without going overboard and, given the plot, was believable. Well worth 90 minutes of my time.

I hate Owen Wilson, It's a shame his suicide didn't work out

Who wouldn't try to kill themselves after your missus leaves you for Dax Shepard. Shit, I nearly tried it the other day when I found out he was baby'd up with Kristen Bell.

• Paid Members

Sat through Hercules the other night. Not really up to much. The first 20 minutes or so are well boring, but it gets halfway decent once The Rock starts fighting the baddies. The best/worst part is when The Rock occasionally tries an English accent for a word or two, then gives up.

Got back an hour ago from going to see Guardians of the Galaxy. Did not disappoint, fantastic from start to finish. Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Vin Diesel played their roles well but it was Big Dave as Drax and Bradley Cooper's voiceover for Rockett that stole the show. The soundtrack was wonderfully cheesy as well

• Paid Members

Working my way through a few movies in the past couple of weeks, with mixed results..

Continuing my Sammo Hung season, I watched Paper Marriage – I had fond memories of this which were largely unfounded to be honest.  Despite threatening one or two classic fight scenes, the only action of any kind comes in the form of a couple of boxing bouts which, whilst not being terrible by any means really don’t do Sammo’s usual shit hot choreography any justice whatsoever.  You know it’s a bad day at the office when even a Sammo Vs Billy Chow fight fails to excite.

With that in mind, it’s essentially a slapstick comedy based on the premise of ex fighter and gambling addict Sammo who’s promised a golden handshake if he marries the lovely Maggie Cheung, so she can get a green card.  Cue an hour and a half of the obligatory treating women like shit, followed by an explosive finale which doesn’t remotely fit the tone of what precedes it, but who gives a fuck when you’ve got Sammo and Billy Chow going to toe with the baddest man ever to wear a white suit, Dick Wei and having a “who can through their body through the most breakable shit” competition.

I’d recommend anyone watch that 15 minutes, but the rest you can take or leave.  In case you were wondering, Sammo and Maggie eventually fall for each other for real, but alas, Sammo goes mental after taking part in medical testing for money.

I didn’t think it would be possible to watch two disappointing Sammo movies back to back, but I managed it.  Again, I remember Don’t Give a Damn being a good, contemporary martial arts action movie, so I’m not sure what happened.  The fight choreography, despite using some of Sammo’s textbook camera work, feels like it’s in slow motion and a potentially wonderful one on one between Sammo and Yuen Biao ends up more like a fight scene from Bottom.

In fairness, the ending isn’t bad, with two muscular white American fellas turning up as was fairly standard of the times, and Yuen Biao showing us just how acrobatic he can be jumping around on scaffolding like nobody’s business, sadly, it’s hard to take it too seriously because, well… him and another fella have blacked up.

Untitled_zps4cfbe859.jpg

It’s alright though, there is an actual black man in the film and even if you were blind you’d know he was black, because he says motherfucker about 11 times in the space of a minute.

Believe it or not, I’ve only just gotten around to watching The Raid.  Yep, thoroughly ashamed of myself.  Ain’t it handsome? I mean jesus, just non stop, breakneck pace and shot in exactly the way that makes the martial arts genre completely un-toppable.  Set up camera, let two guys go ape-shit, and do not interfere.  You feel every single punch, kick, knee, elbow, knife wound and gunshot.  Absolutely majestic.  Cant wait for the sequel to come out on DVD now, it’ll be one of very few I pay full price for these days.

Not much else to add as I’m ridiculously late to the party, but oh my.  Not felt a tingle like that in my ghoulies since the first Ong Bak movie surfaced.

Last, but by no means least, I watched one of Donnie Yen’s latest, Special ID.  Frustratingly, after ages waiting for a UK release to no avail, I finally settled for watching it on YouTube with incomprehensible English subtitles, only to see it in HMV yesterday lunch time.

So what of it, well, first and foremost, how the fuck is Donnie Yen not a mainstream star?  I thought it’d happen when he starred in Blade 2, but the guy is handsome as fuck, was raised in the US and speaks better English than any of his predecessors, looks ice cold and puts together the best fight scenes in the business these days.  I mean come on, who wouldn’t turn for this fella…

34(2).jpg

If you’re a fan of MMA, then you absolutely need to check this out.  Donnie is putting out, for my mind, the most accurate portrayal of mixed martial arts on screen, and showing the technical aspects in a way the chaotic nature of the sport can only dream of.  It’s spectacular. It doesn’t hurt, that there’s a female cop who as well as looking pretty fucking delicious just so happens to mix it up on screen in a way I’ve not seen from too many others before her.  The final scene where she is leaping on to cars and arm-barring a guy from the passenger seat is as cool and unique as I’ve seen for a long time whilst looking absolutely credible with some top not wire work which enhances the action rather than turn it into something from a comic book.

All in all, a mixed bag with some incredible fighting thrown in for good measure!

Guardians of the Galaxy is my favourite film of the year. Just wall to wall greatness. Big Dave really stole the show for me, but it was a combination of the humour, heart and stunning visuals that made it such a joy to watch. Obviously it's not gonna be for everyone, but fans of sci-fi, comedy and comic books, it should be a really fun romp.

• Paid Members

Really looking forward to GOTG. Going to see any big film like that on opening weekend is my idea of hell. The general public have pretty much ruined the cinema experience for me & this would be a guranteed cuntfest.

Saw the new Planet of the Apes this week though & thought is was tremendous. The effects work on the apes is practically flawless & I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Edited by Dead Mike