DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Just watched Bigger, Stronger, Faster on Netflix. Fantastic documentary about Steroid use in America that stands out for having no agenda, just asking everyone their opinions and lets everyone make their own opinions.

It was made by the brother of former WWF jobber Mike Bell, really surprised that WWE actually let them use footage ( although it doesn't comment on anyone apart from Hulk using 'roids).

Some great archive interviews along with newer stuff from people like Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis. Well worth a watch.

I watched two movies over the weekend. One at the cinema, one on telly. One good, one shite.

Labor Day. I actually really enjoyed it. I expected a slushy romance, but it wasn't. More so a drama, maybe suspense. Anyway, really good, well acted. Would recommend.

Then The Game- Michael Douglas not HHH. A mate recommended it. Bollocks. A total mind fuck, but so far fetched and preposterous it insulted the viewer, IMO. Nothing you saw was legit. Disappointed me big time for the great actors who were in it.

• Paid Members

Calvary : I didn't like The Guard, and I didn't like this. Decent performances by Dylan Moran and Gleeson - and it was nice to see Killian Scott pop up on the big screen - but this was even more boring than The Guard and it's attempt at dark Oirish humour was just fucking mortifying.

Just watched Bigger, Stronger, Faster on Netflix. Fantastic documentary about Steroid use in America that stands out for having no agenda, just asking everyone their opinions and lets everyone make their own opinions.

It was made by the brother of former WWF jobber Mike Bell, really surprised that WWE actually let them use footage ( although it doesn't comment on anyone apart from Hulk using 'roids).

Some great archive interviews along with newer stuff from people like Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis. Well worth a watch.

Watched that myself a week or so back after missing it when it was released. Found it to be really balanced and not just a Mr Mackey style 'steroid are bad, m'kay' piece. i noticed there was a specific documentry about Ben Johnson called 9.79 on there too, might check that out sometime soon.

Caught an interesting watch called June 17, 1994. It was part of ESPN's '30 for 30' series and it doesn't feature any talking heads or anything, its just archive news footage form the day, which was pretty monumental as it had:

- New York Rangers' Stanley Cup victory parade

- Arnold Palmer's last US Open appearance

- Game 5 of the NBA Play Offs between the Houston Rockets and the New York Knicks

- The opening game of the 1994 World Cup between Germany and Bolivia

oh yeah....and it was the day that OJ Simpson went on the run in his white Ford Broncho. From there it all gets a little chilling as the news teams scramble to keep up with that whilst also keeping with the NBA coverage. Bob Costas seems more concerned about whether or not hes going to be in a two-shot on screen or if its just going to be him, and then we hear the phonecall from the police talking OJ out of shooting himself in the back seat of the car.

Its not overly long, just a shade over 50 minutes, and was a very interesting watch

• Paid Members

Watched Under The Skin, at the weekend. It was funnier than I expected, particularly the bang on portrayal of the big dicks trying their best chat up lines on Scarlett Johansson. She was fantastic in it too. I enjoyed the use of the sometimes jarring soundtrack, particularly the leitmotif during the slow mo sexy scenes, as it added to the tension and surrealism of it all.

On 30 for 30, the Bo Jackson documentary they did was pretty good. Although you sort of feel a bit sad for him at the end when he's plodding about his house.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I watched the grand Budapest hotel last night. I'm not particularly an Anderson film, in fact I'm entirely unsure about him, but I really liked this one. The style works perfectly with the type of story they're telling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone seen Snowpiercer yet? I thought it was wonderful. Bloody great fun from start to finish, completely mental and with some brilliant performances especially from the blessed Tilda Swinton and Alison Pill.