Get The Fuck Off My Screen

Professor Paul's Bin

• Paid Members
Steiner's injuries stopped him from really establishing himself

This is one of the great shames for me. I genuinely believe Scott Steiner could have been a star for the WWE if he wasn't so banged up when he got there.

His debut at Survivor Series was quality. He came off like a big deal and a total badass from that point up until he got in the ring at the Rumble. And at a time when they were about to lose Rock and Austin, they could have done with a new face in the main event scene. Steiner vs Lesnar, Angle, Undertaker or Michaels could have been big at the time.

It's a shame how it played out. He proved when he went to TNA that he actually had some good stuff left in the tank.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's nothing wrong with tweeners in themselves, provided they're not kept tweeners for too long - they eventually have to establish their alignment at some point.

Depends who it is/what they're doing. Punk could pull it off. Kevin Nash can't.

The most interesting Nash was in his original WWF run was early 1996, in particular when he started feuding with Taker. He was certainly a Tweener then, and the full blown heel turn came at a hosue show in MSG before Mania when he took out Michaels. He swagged into WM12 declaring "I'm the shit!" on his way to the ring, full blown heel and the whole thign was brilliant execution.

Big Daddy V got released before he could really claim his place

If there was ever a chance of him having a "place" as a main event star, he wouldn't have been released-at least so quickly. His whole gimmick was that he was a big bastard, but for WWE, he was that bit too big. Funny how he had a long stretch in WWE wearing pajamas, full body suits and the like, but when we start seeing his moobs flying around in that little singlet, he lasts a few months.

I get that this board has a love for monsters, but BDV wasn't going to be a main player. He wasn't a great promo, and his look under that guise was more grotesque than intimidating. At best he might have been a one month Cena feud just for the feat of strength moment.

That attire he had as BDV was fucking superb. I don't get the hang up with it. Real wrestlers don't wear shirts anyway. If he wore a shirt he wouldn't have had the opportunity to show those lovely tattoos of his either.

He wasn't a great promo

Didn't need to be. Striker did a good enough job putting him over.

was more grotesque than intimidating

That sounds like something a woman would say.

That attire he had as BDV was fucking superb. I don't get the hang up with it. Real wrestlers don't wear shirts anyway. If he wore a shirt he wouldn't have had the opportunity to show those lovely tattoos of his either.

He wasn't a great promo

Didn't need to be. Striker did a good enough job putting him over.

Point conceded there, the more Striker managed, the less we'd have to hear him try and sound overly clever on commentary. I was drawing parallels in my mind between BDV and Mark Henry, who is great on the stick and looks menacing enough to play the monster.

was more grotesque than intimidating

That sounds like something a women would say.

How so? I figured disgust at seeing shirtless tubs of lard was pretty universal. Point is, he wasn't the type of big that would make me shit bricks, more the type that you'd see struggling to run on the Biggest Loser. His wrestling started to show that too, he was agile for a big guy, but seemed to be getting slower and more immobile towards the end there. I actually thought he was a good 10 years older than he is.

• Paid Members
Big Daddy V got released before he could really claim his place

If there was ever a chance of him having a "place" as a main event star, he wouldn't have been released-at least so quickly. His whole gimmick was that he was a big bastard, but for WWE, he was that bit too big. Funny how he had a long stretch in WWE wearing pajamas, full body suits and the like, but when we start seeing his moobs flying around in that little singlet, he lasts a few months.

I get that this board has a love for monsters, but BDV wasn't going to be a main player. He wasn't a great promo, and his look under that guise was more grotesque than intimidating. At best he might have been a one month Cena feud just for the feat of strength moment.

He was released because WWE didn't want him dying from fatness on their watch, not because of his work. And he did have a chance of being a regular main eventer - like Henry, he finally got good after years of being shit. I really enjoyed his work as BDV - he was finally working like a monster, looked like he was bad-ass and nasty, was vicious, intense, and destroying fools like it was easy. Personally, I like fat monsters - he was the best one since Earthquake and Yokozuna, IMO.

As has been pointed out, he didn't need to be a great promo - he had a manager. Similar to Yoko, and I don't think anyone would say he wasn't a main eventer. He wasn't actually that chronically bad a promo anyway, as it stood.

Just a matter of taste really, as is this whole topic. I've never liked fat monsters much, I prefer more athletic types. I've grown to appreciate guys like Henry and Show as they move around very well and over the years have shown dedication to get in shape. Plus, "THAT'S WHAT I DO!" is money. :D

But, no, I don't hate Big Daddy V, I just felt his place was in the upper mid card at best, if he were here today he'd be battering the Kofi's and the Miz's of the world, while occasionally stepping up to act as a monster threat to Cena and Sheamus, like how Henry used to a few years back. I think a part of me couldn't get over the sudden transition from pajama wearing "Love Machine" to serious badass.

• Paid Members

Fair enough, man. I never figured he would ever be a permanent main event mainstay like Taker or Trips, but I did feel he had at least one main event title run in him.

Be fair, though - BDV moved pretty well for a guy of his size (even though he didn't and shouldn't have to). His flying wheel kick was pretty damn impressive. Preferred his "V" chops though.

Archived