10 years ago... Notorious 'BritWres' incident

Big Benny HG

Is it me or hasn't it aged very well? Names like Trent Acid, Chris Cash and Johnny Kashmere don't mean anything to me .

Nor did they to me in 2002. I think it was a case of people getting their hands on a 56K modems in school and thinking, fucking hell, Kevin Nash is shit as he can't do all of these flips.... At least Jake got top billing.

• Paid Members

That was the thing I mentioned earlier in the thread. A Supershow in 2003 to me would have included indy wank like AJ Styles, Raven, X-Pac, D'Lo Brown, possibly Chris Daniels and those kinds of folk. CZW wasn't getting much coverage in Power Slam (which was still the measuring stick of publicity over here in 2003) and wasn't half as masturbated over like ROH was. I suppose the whole Fans Bring The Weapons thing added with Jake Roberts was a big selling point at the time.

• Paid Members
Is it me or hasn't it aged very well? Names like Trent Acid, Chris Cash and Johnny Kashmere don't mean anything to me .

Nor did they to me in 2002. I think it was a case of people getting their hands on a 56K modems in school and thinking, fucking hell, Kevin Nash is shit as he can't do all of these flips.... At least Jake got top billing.

I bought CZW best of the best 2 on VHS (mid june 2002) because Jody and Jonny were there and it was hyped up on the talksport radio show (which is why I went to Revival and Uprising too.) So thats probably where CZW got some traction.

Presumably thats a big reason why Alex went mental too. The FWA and Talksport had generated some small stars and interest, and he probably wasnt too happy about spreading the wealth.

• Paid Members

I didn't know much about Alex Shane other than he owned the FWA and used to co-present the Talksport Wrestling show. But after reading Greg Lambert's (excellent) e-book and then this debacle, he comes across as a bit of an egotistical twat to say the least.

• Paid Members
Imagine PCW or something having to put "NO TRIBUTES" on a poster in 2013 just to assure you?

Heh.. the idea of needing a tribute for any of those bar Jake the Snake is hilarious!

Can you imagine turning up to a show with a Tribute Trent Acid wrestling?

Hey, CZW have already got a Nick Mondo tribute guy wrestling, so I don't think it's too far a stretch.

• Paid Members

It really is fighting over crumbs, but even I, in the tiny insignificant places I had in BritWres, found it incredibly easy to get sucked into the drama, even if it was just developing opinions or feeling like I was part of a "side" when something kicked off. It's just an enveloping environment.