10 years ago... Notorious 'BritWres' incident

Big Benny HG

I think it's pretty common knowledge that Lynskie was paid next to nothing not to show up. He didn't even set off. There was major heat at the time with anyone trying to run a 'super show' if you wasn't using the FWA. Only new promoters were targeted. If you'd anything like an FWA show and not using them you're in trouble.

I came across the same stuff with comments of making sure booked wrestlers didn't arrive and international talent being exclusive. I was to be the first to bring Raven over in 2004 and sorted out appearances with other promoters until other people got involved. All good fun though.

I didn't really understand it all and thought it was a bit gay. I decided to run my shows make my excuses and get out of British Wrestling. As Greg says in his book. You're usually a lot happier and more healthy when you leave.

• Paid Members
Did Alex Shane ever sort his act out or is he the same guy who did this scummy shit?

If he's anything like he came across in those FSM articles then i'm gonna go with yes. What's the deal with Shane is he just really narcissistic (no luger) or what?

One thing I don't get is why would Alex Shane sabotage such a show? The FWA was mainly running London back then and this show took place up North.

Fwa ran shows up here in 2003 in horwich (damon leigh , lee butler and mike bishop ran that with alex et al on board)

Greg lambert ran in morecambe in 2003 in what was a great deal for alex shane which saw greg hire the venue do the promoting and other donkey work meanwhile alex/fwa got 50% of show profits and all merch sales plus future dvd sales cash too... Greg ended up losing a grand..

Seriously you lot need to buy lamberts book when hes on about this he mentions how fwa had no money. And alex wasnt running a business "we were spearheading a movement"

He'll pop back now and then and seen him at 3 weddings including his own.

He should be back for mine in August hah.

Ask him about this and post it on here. It would be cool to here how he is doing and his thoughts on the wrestling business all these years later.

No need, a friend in wrestling told me about this yesterday so I just popped on to have a look.

What happened that day is not subjective, the facts are all out there. It was confessed to many, many times to several friends of mine who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons.

As far as I'm aware, I paid everyone back. There were certain people from certain companies plastering this board with messages to make it seem like 100s were out of pocket. I've been playing poker for 8 years now and didn't have any reason not to send 50 quid back to someone, if I needed to clear my conscience over anything that I could've done something about it'd have been done by now. Did I handle it particularly well? No, I was young and torn apart. Did I make mistakes? Sure, but nothing that warranted what happened, just stuff said and done out of immaturity. At one point, I did consider putting on a show for free out of my own pocket once poker got rolling and I was doing well, but ultimately it was just a lose/lose situation and I decided against it.

It was really, really sad what happened that day for everyone that travelled. If anyone holds any ill will towards me take some satisfaction in the knowledge that I really, really took a hammering. Local press, financially, employment. I was a laughing stock for so long as everyone who knew me knew about it (the press were not kind). If I went to the local pub the DJ would get on the mic and make me feel two inches tall, for eg. From that day on, I wasn't really trusted or respected by my family ever again. It left a very deep scar but I've come to learn far worse things happen to people on a nearly constant basis. For certain individuals to see a 20 year old kid as such a threat to warrant this sortof action.. well, they are the losers long term. They can write all the books, talk all the "babble" and spirituality/karma stuff but it doesn't change anything. People asking why anyone would do such a thing, well, back in the day certain people were trying to take control of anything non-Dixon in BritWres and were happy at using "strongarm tactics". We'll leave it at that but it still continues to this day, I almost fell of my chair laughing at the gall of this BWC setting up training manuals and stamps of approval - it just goes to show they don't learn, they haven't changed and it's all still same "squeeze what we can out of who we can using force and control" - the punters dried up so they turned their attention to the people working, or trying to work in the business.

At the time, Kev is right, it cost me everything, including my day job at the magazine, but in the long run it ended up being good for me. I really, really did intend to continue promoting, but my life was turned upside down and I just had no choice but to throw in the towel.

How am I doing now? Well, I'm good, is the short version. The wrestling business? It's just a complete mess full of idiots and individuals with serious mental issues from top to bottom. It really amazes me how one industry can attract such a high ratio of nutters. Poker and the people in it were like a church congregation in comparison.

I do appreciate that the incident will leave people sour on me, especially as I disappeared not too long afterwards. I understand it. People who have been supportive over the years, including several who don't know me from Adam, thanks again. I don't read the forum at all so if anyone wants to get in contact, old friends or whatever, I'm sure Mr. Iddon would pass on any messages.

Thanks

J

PS Oh, and love Dean Ayass posting on this thread with his "yeah I just sat at home and watched it all unfold like everyone else". Bollocks, fuck off you fat sack of shit. Semprini/Sgt. Ducky/DA you knew exactly what was happening and started a smear campaign against me. I can only say if you ever see me again you'd better roly poly your worthless ass downhill quick fucking sharp. Loser.

I didn't know anything of what was happening. Why would I? And why would I have any interest in a show happening hundreds of miles away from me that caused friends of mine, both wrestling on the show and attending the show as fans, have a waste of a journey? Makes absolutely zero sense. And please don't make threats against me on here, it's really not called for.

Edited by Dean Ayass

April Hunter!!! Those mags loved her at the time

Did i hear right she did a movie sex scene with Nash?

Anyway this is enjoyable reading

I rememer this all kicking off but never used to come on here much so only heard a few bits

Can we have a WrestleXpress thread like this next

That was the king of fuck ups.

I didn't know anything of what was happening. Why would I? And why would I have any interest in a show happening hundreds of miles away from me that caused friends of mine, both wrestling on the show and attending the show as fans, have a waste of a journey? Makes absolutely zero sense. And please don't make threats against me on here, it's really not called for.

Oh please stop with the verbal diarrhoea and good guy act. And after your smear campaign actions towards me under several different names a hand to the face is the least you deserve. Don't worry, it's unlikely we'll ever meet again.

Jon how close after the day of your event did you find out alex had paid lynskey to not turn up with the ring? And what made you work the fwa show a few weeks later (IF) by then you had knowledge of what had gone down? Why work for the man who killed your event?

The FWA show was 6 days after. I was in a daze and really not thinking straight nor had I put it all together. A certain individual was very nice and accomodating after the fact and at the time I was 100% intent on keeping things going so wanted to keep relevent. It was a huge mistake that made me look very foolish but at the time I didn't know what day it was. I found out the truth shortly after embarassing myself very badly on the FWA show and gave certain individuals a believeable alibi, which was the whole point of inviting me down in the first place.

It's not going to do me any good by continuing to respond but I felt I should comment on this point as I haven't before. All the best everyone (well, nearly everyone)

What do you want me to do Jon, take a lie detector test? I had nothing to do with your show going wrong. If you don't believe me, then there's not much I can do about that, but that's the truth.

For someone who's "moved on", you seem to be getting awfully wound up. And for someone who's supposedly "worthless", you seem to be getting awfully wound up about me too.