Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was thinking it may well have been from a WWF dark match comp tape, bought from the same person I used to get NWA/TNA from. It would have been from around the same time so that makes a little sense as to why I got it mixed up in my head. In fairness, me and my wrestling watching mates back then were massive, massive stoners. It's a wonder I remember anything.

Posted

Waterman definitely seemed to be going for Scott Steiner, but he only ever managed a bigger, camper Scotty Too Hotty. I base this on only ever having seen promo images of him.

 

05.jpg

  • Paid Members
Posted

Scott Vick and Ron Waterman were the future. When I heard of all this OVW lot coming up in 2002 for the brand split, Big Ron and SV were the two I thought were going to be the breakout stars. All based on hype from Power Slam and Raw Magazine.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

I used to use Raw Magazine to predict the next big star too, that and the Ross Report. As well as Lesnar and Orton, JR never shut up about Shelton Benjamin and Nick Dinsmore - I knew nothing about Shelton but I was convinced he was going to be huge.

  • Moderators
Posted

When Rob Conway debuted as one of LA Resistance I proclaimed him the future of wrestling based on magazines from 01-02.

  • Paid Members
Posted
Did Rob Conway being so shit in real life confuse everyone who played the Ryland games or just me?

 

Him, Lash LeRoux and Simon Diamond were normally my biggest draws.

 

Yeah, I got that too. Also got that with Air Paris, Roadkill and Kris Sprules.

 

Fucking EWR.

Posted

Orlando Jordan was a fucking megastar in EWR. Mind you, I even managed to make Doug Furnas into a draw.

  • Paid Members
Posted
Did Rob Conway being so shit in real life confuse everyone who played the Ryland games or just me?

 

Him, Lash LeRoux and Simon Diamond were normally my biggest draws.

 

Yeah, I got that too. Also got that with Air Paris, Roadkill and Kris Sprules.

 

Fucking EWR.

 

Kris Sprules! I completely forgot he exists. Amazing!

  • Moderators
Posted
Orlando Jordan was a fucking megastar in EWR. Mind you, I even managed to make Doug Furnas into a draw.

 

Just put him against Johnny Smith a lot and BOOM both over to a highly unrealistic extent.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Kriss Sprules had his own fucking gimmick for him in EWR for crying out loud!

 

As for 'the future of WWE' circa 2002, Damaja (Danny Basham) was hotly tipped as well. Everyone was convinced Dinsmore would be one of the next big things, I remember the internet losing their shit when Eugene made his debut.

 

I remember Scott Vick was about to debut 'any day now' throughout all of 2000. Mr H20 had a good look about him, but apparently he was rotten. Any OVW/HWA or wherever he was based bods out there confirm this?

Posted

There was one called Daniel Rodimer who got a fair bit of hype.

 

For whatever reason he substituted for a main event heel on a house show and fought Cena. He got his jotters not long later.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

I remember Rodimer from the Puder-Miz-Ryback edition of Tough Enough. Thought he was an absolute twat and was desperate to see him eliminated, I remember being not unhappy when he got released.

 

Brent Albright, he was another one. Definitely going to be the next Benoit. Especially if you followed Paul Heyman's incarnation of OVW.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Dan Rodimer was the smug blonde one from the Tough Enough that was exclusively on Smackdown, the same one as Miz, Ryback & Spirit Squad Mitch.

 

He did make the main roster very briefly, as Dan Rodman, albeit only on Heat.

 

Thoroughly enjoyed the 1st TNA show last night, for all the wrong reasons. I don't think I'd ever seen the whole show in one go (I don't think TWC started from the very beginning, did they?).

 

I kind of get what they were trying to do with Malice in the battle royal (establish him as an evil, unstoppable monster, I guess?), but in execution it came off much more like a double turn.

 

Malice comes in mid-way through and ploughs through the field, Shamrock waltzes in last and does little of note until the final two. Then, he locks in submissions on Malice that the big man refuses to tap to for extended periods, even when Shamrock questionably pulls him back off a rope break, then refuses to acknowledge a second rope break until Steamboat counts to SEVEN. Shamrock shoves the ref as a thankyou for his leniency. Malice bravely struggles to his feet and gets his legs repeatedly kicked from under him, before getting hit by a quick belly-to-belly for the pin.

 

I know who I think I should be cheering.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...