Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I know Stephanie has her haters here on UKFF but she is far more entertaining on screen than Shane has been this past month. He was great during the Attitude Era but these days I find him to be dull as fuck as far as promos go.

Hard to judge so far because there's not much to go on but I thought he was perfect the week after the post-WM show. Tough but understated and not overshadowing anyone.

He's clearly not a great promo as we saw in the build up to the Taker fight but he's good enough to carry off this. Steph has great delivery but honestly, I can't think of a single memorable promo she's cut in the 3000 hours of The Authority's TV time.

Shane is a great promo, if a little rusty after the lion's share of a decade out of the game. He was brilliant in his comeback segment with the obvious exception of that bit where he forgot his lines and Vince had to bail him out.

He seems to have a gary every other week and act a bit weird but the weeks where he's well rested his promos have been sound. The week after the post-WM show with his pep talk to Zayn and AJ was particuarly good, as Rick pointed out.

I know Stephanie has her haters here on UKFF but she is far more entertaining on screen than Shane has been this past month. He was great during the Attitude Era but these days I find him to be dull as fuck as far as promos go.

Whats wrong with being dull as fuck? That's far better than Steph's counter productive act which has helped kill the momentum from numerous wrestlers with sparse and unproductive pay offs. The authority figure should just blend into the background, occasionally forwarding stories without being overbearing.

Regal in NXT is the perfect example of how it should be done

Been watching back a lot of WWF 2000 on the Network and just got to No Way Out.

What a fantastic show. The build up to tje PPV was phenomonal and it definately delivered. No Way Out and later Backlash more than make up for a lackluster WrestleMania that year.

Nothing but love for this show. The opening promo video from Cactus wss amazing and really set the tone for the night....

“It will be soon, but not tonight (I’m not quite ready). Though my nights are sleepless, I still dream. I’ve won and lost many things in my career (championships, blood), but I’ve never main-evented at WrestleMania. This is my chance (my last chance).

In my way, there is a man, and that man has my gold (my ticket to WrestleMania). He may be the Game. He may be the champion. He may be the best in the industry today (I should know), but he is no Cactus Jack (and he never will be!).

Fifteen years I’ve been chasing this dream. Dozens of fractures. Hundreds of stitches. Countless nights I’ve bled! You may say, ‘This is no dream. This is a nightmare.’ Maybe, but it’smy nightmare, AND I DECIDE WHEN I WAKE UP!”

Incredible

Edited by Doog

• Paid Members

They were said on a second audio track (also Cactus) which was overlaid onto the main narrative, intentionally not-perfectly filling in the gaps.

Been watching back a lot of WWF 2000 on the Network and just got to No Way Out.

What a fantastic show. The build up to tje PPV was phenomonal and it definately delivered. No Way Out and later Backlash more than make up for a lackluster WrestleMania that year.

Nothing but love for this show. The opening promo video from Cactus wss amazing and really set the tone for the night....

“It will be soon, but not tonight (I’m not quite ready). Though my nights are sleepless, I still dream. I’ve won and lost many things in my career (championships, blood), but I’ve never main-evented at WrestleMania. This is my chance (my last chance).

In my way, there is a man, and that man has my gold (my ticket to WrestleMania). He may be the Game. He may be the champion. He may be the best in the industry today (I should know), but he is no Cactus Jack (and he never will be!).

Fifteen years I’ve been chasing this dream. Dozens of fractures. Hundreds of stitches. Countless nights I’ve bled! You may say, ‘This is no dream. This is a nightmare.’ Maybe, but it’smy nightmare, AND I DECIDE WHEN I WAKE UP!”

Incredible

I remember as a kid even thinking the incidental production music they used for this PPV was extremely forboding. It was one of those generic doomy fire and brimstone ones but when they cut inside the arena live after that promo you actually got a real genuine sense - which you often got if you were a mark in the Attitude Era - that something dangerous or horrible had the capacity to happen that night live on air.

I hate to say it but I think in retrospect what happened to Owen contributed to that, along with King Of The Ring 1998. At least to me as a kid. The PPV shows all felt a bit darker for awhile after that. Not intentionally but still. A shadow hung over everything for a good bit. The aesthetic and storylines produced were intentional, of course, and unwittingly fed into this almost fear I had as a kid that at half three in the morning on Sky Sports 1 something really awful and terrible could happen to a wrestler. 

Most shows from 1998-2001 were billed more or less as potential apocalypses. How different that it to nowadays.