Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

It would be interesting to not if the house show profit takes into the consideration the money spent on the wages of the wrestlers, ring crew etc.

Judging by the profit made elsewhere, the WWE could happily continue as a part-time outfit with the talent only working PPVs and TV.

I've wondered about that, theres something in being a touring promotion that is worthwhile fan service, hitting towns and promoting the brand, as well as the money, theoretically it'll be good in developing fans, particularly young ones.

Maybe if they did a little less of them though and lightened the schedule, you might see a healthier roster with less miles on their bodies.

Edited by Benno

There's also the factor of WWE (and the performers) doing fuck all to get their characters over, so in lieu of any real connection, everyone just kills themselves trying to have a four-and-three-quarter-Meltzers match every night. I even saw an interview with Ziggler the other day where he was promoting that as the great thing about this era. The fool.

In terms of wages, the talent wouldn't like house shows stopping. PPV money is good (or was in the PPV days) but isn't TV taping money shit compared to house shows? I'm sure I heard once that in the New Generation days, the jobbers got paid more for a Raw match than the contracted stars did because the TV match was what sold the tickets for the bread and butter shows.

Thinking about Wrestling With Shadows and I was thinking the timing of the film was amazing. No doubt people have questioned that "convenience" behind it n the past but I was wondering what the original plan for the film was anyway as Montreal wasn't expected. Was the reason behind it to be just a short film on Bret over a year which turned out to be his final year? Did the filmmaker already know he was in discussion with WWF and WCW and though that itself was the material for it and Montreal was an added bonus in terms of content?

I was just thinking on my way to work today, without Montreal and without the contract issues, there isn't really much of a film there and I don;t know how it could have been foreseen. Anyone have any insight into it's origins?

I would imagine there was loads of stuff from the end of '96 and first half of '97 that probably would've made the final film that was cut to accommodate all the Montreal stuff, Paul Jay has always said how lucky they were to get that to give it a proper ending that it would;ve strugged to have without it

I suppose without the screwjob it would've ended on a happy note with Bret leaving the WWF after years of service with a handshake and a hug with Vince while he talks about going on a new adventure (obviously in hindsight, the bad booking and literally getting his head kicked in might have soured it over the years)

Just been watching ECW Hardcore Heaven '99 tonight which I think was one of the first (Or the first? Can anyone confirm when he first appeared in ECW? There seem to be a few contradicting timeframes) events that Cyrus appeared on and its quite amusing listening to him constantly cracking in-jokes about 'Having heat in the back' and how he 'Knows a lot about that' with Joey Styles laughing along and agreeing. I didn't realise he (Cyrus) had a ton of backstage heat when he was in the WWF until recently, nobody liked him apparently, for being too introverted.

Edited by digitalversicolor

• Paid Members

True fact, Cyrus was going to be the manager of the Hart Foundation before Bret Hart's 90 notice was put in. They wanted to move Pillman into singles with Terri Runnels and Bret (who was putting the word in for Cyrus at the time) recommended him for the position. Initially Cyrus and Rick Martel were going to be The Supermodels, but Rick Martel went to WCW instead. Its odd, they had all these cool ideas to bring Cyrus in, and then he ended up as the Truth Commissions leader.

Along with James Mitchell, Don Callis is another person who should have been working in the business the last 14 years. How TNA didnt find a place for them as major characters is quite something.

Yeah, it's intriguing as he had a cool look that was custom made for wrestling (the long hair, tinted glasses, jewel on the forehead etc), he could talk the talk and he was even a fairly decent wrestler so its crazy that he never became far bigger than he did. I've just started re-watching ECW on TNN to see his full run there and will watch the PPVs along the way. I suppose he's better off nowadays though as he works for the Canadian government from what I've read.

I agree on James Mitchell as well. All of the above applies to him too re. Having a look custom made for wrestling and so on.

I think Bradshaw was one of the main people who took issue with him (surprise surprise). I've heard a few stories that they used to padlock his bags up in the rafters every night and make him get changed in his car. I think the Hardys also told a story in their book or a shoot interview that as one of their initiations they had to break toothpicks in the locks of Callis' rental car.

Edited by digitalversicolor