Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Some charities are indeed very badly run, and do waste a lot of the money donated to them. But it's incredibly stupid to tar all charities with that brush.

If you've been to the doctor in the last decade you've no doubt already discovered that doctors no longer treat patients, they prescribe drugs to them. If you go to a doctor because you are experiencing severe back pain, the first course of action is to prescribe painkillers. A good Dr. if you are lucky enough to find one of the good ones, will also advice you that weight loss and exercise to reduce the strain on your back and strengthen your core would probably solve your problems completely, but unfortunately most people are too lazy for that and would rather just fill their prescriptions.

EVERYONE IS LAZY DRUG ADDICTS.

When he does go off, he really goes off weirdly.

He comes across as a total cunt there.

On the point of charity's I'm very selective on who I give my money and time too. Just because there both limited so I want it too make as big an impact as possible

I've only read that excerpt, but it's fair enough that drugs are prescribed too frequently. We should have a more holistic approach in medicine. It can also lead to 'superbugs' that evolve to become immune to our antibiotics, which is a worry as the development of new drugs has slowed.

Maybe he sounds off saying most people would prefer to just take a drug than do the exercises that would solve the root of the problem, but in USA I imagine that's much more true than here - and I imagine there's truth to that here too. Maybe people think he sounds a cunt because it's a bitter pill for them to swallow (ba-doom-tish).

Don't ban me for that one, Butch.

Edited by Sphinx

Yeah, I accept that. Where he's talking about a situation where you're relieving strain on your back from weight loss, dietary changes would help with that. They're not easy changes to make, but that's part of the reason prescriptions are written more frequently. Often people want an immediate solution even if its masking rather than helping to solve. There are situations where drugs need to be prescribed, but ideally the doctor would try to paint a picture of the patient's circumstances in their mind first and look at solving the root of the problem.

You'll find that most doctors will, in fact, do that. My asthma check-up, while prescribing me various strengths of things to keep my breathing under control, also ends in me being advised to lose weight, and being given advice on the best way to do that when exercise triggers my inability to breathe. They can't force you to do it though.

I assume he's talking about US and/or Canadian doctors there. I don't know what their culture is and whether they're more willing to prescribe drugs without having those kind of talks. There must be some reason why more prescriptions are written now though. I think it must be more difficult for doctors to give that kind of advice when the patient has been online and convinced themselves that a certain medication is going to fix them. That seems to becoming more prevalent - patients expecting doctors to be order takers. It's not so big now, but I expect that to become a growing trend.

Edited by Sphinx

People love thinking that they know better than people in authority. It's what drives all kinds of medical hysterias from vaccine paranoia to GMOs. Doctors are stupid, lazy, or corrupt and me and my friends know better.

Storm's just being a bell end.

People love thinking that they know better than people in authority. It's what drives all kinds of medical hysterias from vaccine paranoia to GMOs. Doctors are stupid, lazy, or corrupt and me and my friends know better.

Storm's just being a bell end.

There are a fair few in the field who share similar views to him, so I don't think it's as clear cut as doctors vs. the public.

Just thought while mentioning Benoit in the Hogan thread how unlucky some of the people who starred in the main events of the big anniversary Wrestlemania's have been

Note: In my groggy state I thought Bret/Owen main evented WM10 but he walked out at the end and pulled a face at Bret and everyone so I'm still counting him

Bret - Career ended by a kick, had a stroke

Owen - Tragically died in a meaningless stunt

Yoko - Died

Benoit - Killed his wife and kid, looked after his dogs' well being til the end though

HBK - Had the worst hair in wrestling history for the duration of his second run

Bryan - Body fell apart

Batista - had to listen to Morrison weep while giving Melina one

HHH and Orton must be shitting themselves

• Paid Members

I assume he's talking about US and/or Canadian doctors there. I don't know what their culture is and whether they're more willing to prescribe drugs without having those kind of talks. There must be some reason why more prescriptions are written now though. I think it must be more difficult for doctors to give that kind of advice when the patient has been online and convinced themselves that a certain medication is going to fix them. That seems to becoming more prevalent - patients expecting doctors to be order takers. It's not so big now, but I expect that to become a growing trend.

You'll be lucky if you get any sort of painkillers here in Scotland. If you're in extreme pain, it'll be 30mg Co-Cocodamols and 50mg Tramadols for you, but you'd have to be half dying to get that now and Tramadol is being banned anyway. Doctor's don't listen to you much up here now.

I think it's criminal that Mum isn't getting her diabetic stuff when she hands in her script every month. Always a fucking wrangle. She eventually gets it, but it's like a week later. She was hypo'ing all over the place yesterday. Out of order really.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

You'll be lucky if you get any sort of painkillers here in Scotland. If you're in extreme pain, it'll be 30mg Co-Cocodamols and 50mg Tramadols for you, but you'd have to be half dying to get that now and Tramadol is being banned anyway. Doctor's don't listen to you much up here now.

I think it's criminal that Mum isn't getting her diabetic stuff when she hands in her script every month. Always a fucking wrangle. She eventually gets it, but it's like a week later. She was hypo'ing all over the place yesterday. Out of order really.

Tramadols are essentially controlled drugs now. As they where re-scheduled last year so your right they won't prescribe that anymore either. Do you mind me asking what medication she is on? Because that sounds like it's a problem with her community pharmacy?

• Paid Members

She's on Humelin and something called Byeta. Byeta is like a pen that she injects herself with. Whole bunch of heart tablets too.

P.S. You can still get Tramadol, if it was on your repeat prescription before the rule changes. You need to ask for it though, "special request", I think.

Edited by bAzTNM#1