Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Saw an absolute shedload of WrestleMania statistics via Reddit today. One that really stood out is that only 17 men have won the main event (last match):

Hogan, Mr. T., Savage, Warrior, Hart, Taylor, HBK, Taker, Austin, HHH, Rock, Lesnar, Benoit, Batista, Cena, Miz, Bryan

Had a thought about the alleged argument between Vince and Brock. I just saw some silly news piece not even worth quoting saying how with Brock possibly leaving after mania wwe is expecting a more positive reaction from smart fans. Whether that occurs or not I don't know but what if the whole argument and Brock leaving thing. Including the argument was staged to create the same Brock resentment seen at mania 20? Far fetched in some ways but there's a slither of doubt in my mind.

Saw an absolute shedload of WrestleMania statistics via Reddit today. One that really stood out is that only 17 men have won the main event (last match):

Hogan, Mr. T., Savage, Warrior, Hart, Taylor, HBK, Taker, Austin, HHH, Rock, Lesnar, Benoit, Batista, Cena, Miz, Bryan

You got to remember than Hogan dominated the first 8 Wrestlemanias, winning 6 of them (1,2,3,5,7 and 8)

Had a thought about the alleged argument between Vince and Brock. I just saw some silly news piece not even worth quoting saying how with Brock possibly leaving after mania wwe is expecting a more positive reaction from smart fans. Whether that occurs or not I don't know but what if the whole argument and Brock leaving thing. Including the argument was staged to create the same Brock resentment seen at mania 20? Far fetched in some ways but there's a slither of doubt in my mind.

If they gave a monkeys about a positive smart reaction they'd toss Bryan in there and Bobs your aunty but they couldn't give two shakes.

• Paid Members

Since WCW went out of business, there have been almost twice as many WrestleManias as there had been add that point. There’s a worrying statistic when you think Sting’s in a marquee match and Triple H thinks he’s upset about HMS WCW being sunk.

• Paid Members

I was reading Dynamite Kids book last night and it only dawned on me that Virgil was named Vincent in WCW as a dig at McMahon. How long’s that now? 18 fucking years???

It was like when I walked out of the Sixth Sense asking “What the fuck was that? His ring fell off? And???” and my bird at the time had to explain to me he was dead all along.

Spoiler, by the way.

• Paid Members

I was reading Dynamite Kids book last night and it only dawned on me that Virgil was named Vincent in WCW as a dig at McMahon. How long’s that now? 18 fucking years???

I'm guessing that knew "Virgil" was to poke fun at Virgil Runnels, a/k/a Dusty Rhodes?

Of course, Vincent was later HILARIOUSLY re-named "Shane" in WCW too.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't get how 17 is an interesting number. Out of 30 Wrestlemanias, it makes perfect sense. It would have been a bit different if it was 4 or something.

It's not the number so much that's interesting as the make-up of the list of names. It's like a dozen of the all-time WWE legends of the past 30 years, two celebs, two 'workrate' guys who snuck in (Benoit & Bryan), and then amid this exclusive list of just 17 names, the blooming Miz.

Yeah, I don't get how 17 is an interesting number. Out of 30 Wrestlemanias, it makes perfect sense. It would have been a bit different if it was 4 or something.

It's not the number so much that's interesting as the make-up of the list of names. It's like a dozen of the all-time WWE legends of the past 30 years, two celebs, two 'workrate' guys who snuck in (Benoit & Bryan), and then amid this exclusive list of just 17 names, the blooming Miz.

Yes, Miz stands out like a sore thumb! There was such a shortage of main event talent around that time. I'd be interested to see some data of when main eventers peaked over the past 30 years actually. There'd be a ton of peaks and troughs for that.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

The more interesting thing for me is that the "workrate" guys, Benoit and Bryan, happened to win the gigantic multiple-of-ten Mania which is always going to stand out as the biggest one ever for several years, which might have been misconstrued as "we're going with the better technical wrestlers" or "we're going with whoever the crowd likes most" respectively as a possible new direction, although both turned out to be false dawns.

• Paid Members

And of course 10 was meant to be all about pushing the big muscly blonde new Hogan to the #1 slot but the fans didn't buy him and they went with the smaller 'wrestling' guy with the low-key charisma.

The problem with the theory is that Sami Zayn's going to be pushing 40 when he gets the nod ahead of Baron Corbin at WrestleMania XL.

The problem with the theory is that Sami Zayn's going to be pushing 40 when he gets the nod ahead of Baron Corbin at WrestleMania XL.

I wouldn't even bother getting annoyed about that yet.

Knowing WWE, they'll take a promising youngster like Zahn and slap some half-arsed gimmick on him and that will be that. He'll be a masked lower-carder, "La Luchador" or something shit and they'll pretend he can't speak English to hold him back. Bastards!

You got to remember than Hogan dominated the first 8 Wrestlemanias, winning 6 of them (1,2,3,5,7 and 8)

and 9 if you count the Yoko "match" at the end

Edited by Sheffbag