Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

That's fucking bollocks. I fail not because I don't know them all but because my fat fingers can't type fast enough. I ended on 175 just as I was trying to type "John Morrison."

And yes, I think it's par for the course that everyone forgets one massive main eventer or former winner. My own shameful omission at the point of running out of time was also Flair.

• Awards Moderator
That's fucking bollocks. I fail not because I don't know them all but because my fat fingers can't type fast enough. I ended on 175 just as I was trying to type "John Morrison."

And yes, I think it's par for the course that everyone forgets one massive main eventer or former winner. My own shameful omission at the point of running out of time was also Flair.

Go for just surnames, it's loads quicker. Granted, it means you have to start typing 'Morrison' twice (because the first time it'll take 'Mo' as a separate entry) but a lack of first names'll save time.

Fucking hell, I'm talking tactically about this thing... I've done this quiz far too many times.

• Paid Members

Mankind and Ken Shamrock had a really great series of matches over autumn/winter 1998. It's quite suprising but the two men have awesome chemistry with eachother. Probably because Ken Shamrock (who turned heel in that period) was a great ass kicker and Mankind is a master of the sympathetic selling and hope comeback spots. It also helps that both men are more than happy to beat the shit out of one another.

Edited by LaGoosh

Without posting the exact tweet for fear of spoilerisation, the WWE News 24/7 twitter appears to confirm what's happening at the Rumble and the Mania main event. Has this been going on for a while? All I wanted was a presale code :(

I think you've seen a Twitter account that's less official than you thought it was.

After many (many, many, many) failed attempts, I finally managed to complete Sporcle's 'every Royal Rumble entrant ever' quiz with 7:06 left on the clock. It has been very quiet at work today. It's made me want to watch a Royal Rumble Match now. I don't think I've ever seen 2001's.

142 for me. Pretty disappointed with that really but my brain froze with about 5 mins left. Only got 5-6 more after that. Among the big names I forgot were..

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Andre The Giant, Vader, Jericho, Mysterio, Lesnar, Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett, and Sheamus

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Speaking as one of the people who thought the documentary was superb, I'd wonder how anyone who thought it was a disappointment would change it to make it better. Or what they were expecting to have had a disappointed feeling after it was over.

Pretty much every major moment of his WWE career and a surprising amount of major points of his pre-WWE career were covered in detail and all of his greatest WWE matches were included as DVD extras.

The talking heads were all relevant and insightful, and people who had nothing of note to say yet appear on most other documentary dvds were left out of this one.

I can't think what anyone who is a fan of CM Punk wouldn't like about the DVD.

I can totally understand how people who don't like CM Punk could have not enjoyed the DVD, but then why would they watch it?

Right, my keyboard's fixed now, so here goes.

For starters, I find the praise towards the production and so called "differences" from previous DVDs completely redundant. I know you haven't made these comments in the above post by the way, I just wanted to make mention of it. In fact, I felt this was more of a chore to watch than the absolutely tremendous Rock and Austin ones, where they had scaled the needless graphics and music all the way back to lend gravitas to the talking heads and allow the footage to breathe as it was, rather than watching loads of clips mashed up to a generic tune in the background. Punk in different settings doing the pieces was okay, but added nothing to the overall presentation.

Also, for a guy that's done pretty fucking well for himself considering his limitations, Punk is a moaning cunt. I don't mean to bang an old drum, but if there was an HHH DVD that involved every other section seeing Hunter moaning about not getting his opportunities and whinging to Vince backstage, the internet would have a fucking eppy about it. Same example, if Hunter spent the amount of time criticising many of his colleagues and peers for no adequate reason other than he felt he should have had their spot, he'd have been lambasted for it. Punk's treatment of The Miz, Morrison, and a few others is absolutely fucking rotten. Who the fuck is he to say Miz didn't warrant that spot? Or to suggest Morrison wasn't the man to wear that ECW belt at that moment? Seriously, Punk offered ZERO relevent arguements to those specific examples other than because HE felt HE deserved it more. If we were supposed to take the fact that we'd watched him come from ROH and OVW to get this opportunity as a reason to feel empathy, big fucking deal. Who doesn't have to suffer a bit on their way up the ladder?

As well, I also thought it was pretty spineless to end the DVD where they did. Where was the MITB follow up? I wanted to hear what Punk really felt about the company and his standing since his big moment on PPV with Cena. He didn't make a change, Raw's numbers sank, buyrates plummeted, Punk arguably had a lower status match defending his title against Jericho at that Mania compared to his top-of-the-undercard-feud blowoff with Orton the previous year, thoughts on working with HHH and Kevin Nash, finally becoming "the man" (which I know is subjective, but he's finally made it to that top line now, for sure. He's shifting shirts and appearing in the right segments now, he's a proper headliner), loads more. The documentary told this happy ending story when it was supposed to be all PUNKROCKOMG and different and cool and shit.

For the trouble they went to for Cabana, he was fucking useless. "He's my mate, we wrestled together, he's a loner" etc etc. Honestly, there was more insights from that bird Punk used to fuck and that Lars chap. I'd have rather got more from various WWE guys saying what they first thought of scruffy old Phil compared to the CM Punk they now see today.

So yeah, what they covered was mostly good, but I felt they left a lot out that I would have liked more on. And I thought Punk came off a bit of a prick in it. And I like him, for the most part. The "best DVD WWE have ever done" and similar remarks are fucking lunacy, I know that much.

Edited by NEWM

Also, for a guy that's done pretty fucking well for himself considering his limitations, Punk is a moaning cunt. I don't mean to bang an old drum, but if there was an HHH DVD that involved every other section seeing Hunter moaning about not getting his opportunities and whinging to Vince backstage, the internet would have a fucking eppy about it. Same example, if Hunter spent the amount of time criticising many of his colleagues and peers for no adequate reason other than he felt he should have had their spot, he'd have been lambasted for it. Punk's treatment of The Miz, Morrison, and a few others is absolutely fucking rotten. Who the fuck is he to say Miz didn't warrant that spot? Or to suggest Morrison wasn't the man to wear that ECW belt at that moment? Seriously, Punk offered ZERO relevent arguements to those specific examples other than because HE felt HE deserved it more. If we were supposed to take the fact that we'd watched him come from ROH and OVW to get this opportunity as a reason to feel empathy, big fucking deal. Who doesn't have to suffer a bit on their way up the ladder?

Wrestling needs more guys like Punk. The problem with most the guys on the roster is they are all just happy to be there. I don't see a passion about wrestling in any of them. I don't see a desire to be the best and get to the top. How many guys on the WWE roster would you say seem pissed off they aren't in the main event? They should all go to work with the mindset they are going to headline Wrestlemania one day.

Regardless of how anyone feels about Punk you cannot argue the effort and dedication he has shown. Like you said he has done pretty well for himself considering his limitations, I doubt he would be where he was if he wasn't such a moaning cunt.

I totally agree about the 'happy to be there' thing, I hate that now. I also like that it's a part of his story, but it's more about how much of an axe he grinds in this documentary even though he's finally getting what he supposedly wants now. As a viewer, we know he's made it, so spouting off about previous pissy fits NOW rather than just recounting the story makes him sound more like a guy in a shoot with unfinished business rather than a performer who has hit so many of his targets. The Miz thing specifically was pretty fucking jarring.

I really enjoyed the documentary but I have to agree on the comments about The Miz. I think Punk says something along the lines of "What did Miz do to achieve that spot? He was handed it", when in fact Miz has had worked as hard if not harder than everyone on the roster promoting, reinventing himself and proving to be more than a former tag team reality TV star. That was my only axe to grind with Punk's self serving comments throughout the thing really, it seemed that because Miz didn't have a series of matches with Chris Hero in IWA mid south and didn't form a cult stable that he was in no way suitable to be at a high level.

• Paid Members

Yeah his comments about The Miz were fucking harsh I thought. Miz earnt his Wrestlemania spot and at the time was the best heel in the company.

I remember later that year Cena making a comment in a promo about being "fed up of making average look awesome". Poor Miz.