Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I agree that sponsors plastered over the canvas would look tacky. I find they're a bit distracting in CMLL too. I think considering the pros and cons, Vince has the right idea. I also agree that boxing looks very tacky in how it's presented.

• Paid Members

I don't like sponsored canvasses, but I would like to see them with show logos on. However, I think whoever it was mentioned it earlier was correct: apparently they're very slippery. Also, because of how they're made, they tend to get damaged pretty quickly, making it look a bit pony.

• Paid Members

Was watching an old episode of Raw. It was the one where Ahmed Johnson turned heel. A few things. First, Ron Simmons had promised earlier in the night that there would be a new member of the Nation of Domination. So on commentary, Vince McMahon and Jim Ross are speculating who it will be. Names like Abdullah The Butcher and The Junkyard Dog and Butch Reed were discussed. Its so odd basically hearing them picking any black bloke out of the air. They might as well have went "Could it be Sir Mo? He's one".

Also in the same match, a debuting Kama pins the Undertaker clean with Wrath's Meltdown move. The whole audience looks confused. Undertaker was the WWF champion at the time. And fair enough, Ahmed Johnson was "distracted", but that's no excuse for Kama to hit his finisher and get the three on the Undertaker.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

What was the date of that, Ian? I'm working my way through 1997 at the moment. I'm just at the post-KOTR show where Faarooq fires everyone in the nation except D'Lo so that one must be around the corner.

Everything is just heating up. Bret is nearly healthy, Michaels is back, Austin is crazy over, Foley is just turning. Best summer ever.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I did the 1997 run last year and it was as brilliant as a I remembered. Still my favourite.

That said, 1993 is a very nostalgic year for me (although a lot of people think it was shite) as it was when we first got Sky in our house and I could stop depending on others to record PPV's for me.

As a result, I've started working my way through 1993 Wrestling Challenge episodes when there'e nothing better to watch, which is great as episodes only last 45 mins or so.

Anyway, apart from the brilliant Terriffic Terry Taylor, another short lived jobber to the stars has popped up which I have no recollection of whatsoever.

lancecass.jpg

I don't remember Lance Cassidy at all, so he mustn't have been there long. He wasn't even in the Royal Rumble, so I wonder what happened there.

Edited by garynysmon

So this morning I was at heathrow waiting for my flight. At waiting was a bunch of the tna guys. Aries, hebner, al snow, roode, young, abyss, joe, bully and carter. I didn't grab any photos or harass them, but I found it weird that they were flying standard class. Sign of the times? I expected them to be in one of those special waiting areas but looks like tna ain't doing

• Paid Members
Road doggs bro

No idea why his stint was do short, went to SMW I believe.

Ian, I haven't watched the 97 set in a while, is there any nod to Kama / taker feud when he was with dollar man?

No. Its not much of a debut really. He just turned up, beat the Undertaker and Ahmed Johnson turned heel rendering the previous two things an afterthought. Really odd way to end Raw.

• Paid Members
Also in the same match, a debuting Kama pins the Undertaker clean with Wrath's Meltdown move. The whole audience looks confused. Undertaker was the WWF champion at the time. And fair enough, Ahmed Johnson was "distracted", but that's no excuse for Kama to hit his finisher and get the three on the Undertaker.

As a kid even I thought that was weird as fuck when I first saw it and couldn't believe the commentators didn't make a big deal about it that night or the week after.

Was it the meltdown though? I think I've misremembered this whole time that Kama was using the Rock Bottom in the Nation until Rock showed up.

Edited by Benno