Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

2 episodes are online somewhere, but that's about it.

just consisted of him shouting at Asking Alexandria in one episode of and I See Stars in the other. It was produced with Sumerian Records in an effort to give those bands some kind of exposure in the states.

they are quite cringe-worthy, but if your some who likes to see hipster metal kids who are more concered with thier haircare products get put through their paces, its worth a look

I really enjoyed attending the Leeds house show for the fact the venue was a bit different, as meaningless as that seems. I've never seen images but I imagine the butlins shows look pretty interesting aesthetically, for modern day sparkly WWE.

Flair was great value in that.

Watching Smackdown from 04 at the moment and was surprised when Gangrel and a fairly slim Viscera appeared in the ring and helped JBL beat down the Undertaker.Completely forgot that ever happenned.

I love Lex Luger. Been watching the Clashes and PPVs from WCW in 1989 and they're excellent. It was a loaded year in which my favourite wrestler of all had his best feud ( Flair vs Terry Funk), probably his best match (vs Steamboat, Chi Town) and where the greatest tag team in history were at their peak (Eaton and Lane), where The Great Muta and Steve Williams were being awesome, Woman was being the sexiest manager ever, yet still, the highlight of 89 was Luger. He's just perfect as the cocky jock prick muscle head. It likely came natural to him. His increasing dickishness during his slow burning heel turn is a thing of beauty and so was the

. His promos have improved a ton since his Horseman days and his smug delivery of the classic line, "a good big man will always beat a good small man" encapsulates everything that was so fun to hate about his character. He's a relief from the irritating Sting who was crap and phoney back then. Loads of good matches too. He worked with a who's who of ring legends but he held his own and looked the most motivated I've seen him. He gave Brian Pillman his first series of great matches and was in the best Michael Hayes singles match I've seen yet. He was proper over as well - probably only the Road Warriors got bigger pops - and he looked stunning back then, women loved him, men loved to hate him. I love him.

I'm watching back this era of Crockett/NWA/WCWhateverthefuckyoucallit, and, even though Golden Era WWF will always be close to my heart, this might be the closest to what I want wrestling to look like. A dynamic cast of characters all given basic stories and important roles to keep their respective division ticking and the wrestling itself presented like a legit sport with league tables and good commentary (before Jim Ross started trying too hard), a strong heel champion, hot crowds, proper entrance music as opposed to in-house rubbish . . . Obviously the big criticism is the business killing fuck finishes for the main events. I honestly think Luger should have took the belt as early as Starrcade 88. He would win it in 91 but it was under shit circumstances and it was already too late by then. The quality of the promotion seems to go to complete shit in the middle of 1990. Flair, Luger and Sting were red hot the previous year but all end up damaged in some way by the Flair heel turn, endless screw jobs, and the hilarious Black Scorpion angle. It's also sad to see the look and feel of the Crockett territory disappear as it morphs into cheap and goofy WCW. I love Stan Hansen but I despise the retarded, tobacco chewing, WWF-style cartoon he is here. Stan Lane has disappeared too so no more Midnights either which is a huge loss. They guaranteed a cracking match to get the crowd pumping. There's some awesome moments in their matches, like the redneck kung-fu stand off between Lane and Tracy Smothers of the Wild Eyed Southern Boys, or the Wrestlewar match with the Rock n' Rolls where Cornette jumps into the ring making Scrappy Doo fists as the ref untucks his shirt and does likewise, shitting up Cornette who falls head over tit.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

Sorry to distract, but didn't the Midnights also have Dennis Condrey? Or did WCW never use him?

I do like Luger myself, even though I haven't seen as much of him outside the WWF as I'd like. I watched, on recommendation, some of his work against the early nWo, and it's red-hot. Shame they never capitalised on it like they should have. Also loved his Team Package gimmick from 1999.

Yes, Condrey was in the the original Midnight's with Randy Rose in the early 80s. Bobby Eaton and Cornette would join him later in Mid South. He had a stint in WCW but he left in 87 and Cornette and Eaton were joined by Lane and took Midnights name. Him and Rose were brought back a couple of years later by Heyman as the 'Original Midnight Express' to feud with the newly babyface Cornette version. I don't think there's ever been a weirder sight than babyface Jim Cornette and it's a credit to that slimy cunt Paul Heyman for making it work. The Heyman/Cornette match at Great American Bash 89 is a bunch of fun and Cornette throws a mean right.

Lex has a bad rep for various reasons but there was a time when he looked like he was gonna be something. I think he was badly miscast as the All American hero in the WWF, it felt forced and rubbed people the wrong way. It failed but everything was failing then. In the late 80s it looked like he was being groomed to be a major star and everything about the way he carried himself suggested he would be. I might be wrong but I think it was Flair that didn't want the title on him. Then they fucked him.

It's a shame about Lex.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

It's only through hindsight I can say this, but they really should've had him use the Rack as his finish, not the running elbow. The Rack showed off his strength as his "superhero" aspect. The running elbow looked vicious, but I don't think it looked particularly big time or spectacular.

• Paid Members

The Raw Recap video of Old School Raw from last weeks Smackdown was one of the best I've seen WWE do. The way they combined Road Dogg's promo using bits form years back and last week was frigging awesome! Can't find the link on Youtube :(