Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I think Shaemus physically might be the perfect wrestler. I'm not talking about his matches or in-ring style but in terms of physical size and build. He's big enough to do power moves and strength spots, he has the shape of a tough bastard but also someone who kills it in the gym, he looks a brawler but he isn't so overloaded with muscle he looks like a gay bodybuilder and he is also extremely fast and nimble so can do highflying stuff and technical wrestling too. I'm telling ya', that guy has the perfect body for wrestling.

Bob Holly's book contains one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.

There's a small chapter on Eddie Guerrero and he talks about how much pain Eddie was in before his death. I knew this from reading about it and listening to shoots and stuff, but apparently he was in serious pain as far back as before he won the title in Feb 04. The really sad part is Holly recalling how Eddie used to lie in the trainers room all day before his match and how one time Eddie was in so much pain that he didn't know if he needed to go to the toilet or not. Considering Eddie was (and is) my favourite wrestler, this was pretty hearbreaking.

I really liked Vince, Savage and Heenan as commentators. Together and apart. They were the best thing on some early RAW's.

Everybody likes Heenan, he's so witty, that's a given. Savage is so enthusiastic, he comes out with all sorts of hilarious cliches. And he still knew how to put people over. Vince is Vince, know some didn't like his commentary. I loved it. He kinda bought it all togther, carried the broadcast. I don't care if he didn't know the name of a Space Flying Tiger Drop or whatever, he got me into matches. Put over situations. Yep, they were my favourites.

Edited by LEGIT

Bob Holly's book contains one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.

There's a small chapter on Eddie Guerrero and he talks about how much pain Eddie was in before his death. I knew this from reading about it and listening to shoots and stuff, but apparently he was in serious pain as far back as before he won the title in Feb 04. The really sad part is Holly recalling how Eddie used to lie in the trainers room all day before his match and how one time Eddie was in so much pain that he didn't know if he needed to go to the toilet or not. Considering Eddie was (and is) my favourite wrestler, this was pretty hearbreaking.

Which makes his great performances at the time even better. I know he didn't work out as the top dog but he was, for me, great to watch in that period, and its astounding to think he was in pain all that time.

Eddie's run of great WWE matches were in the 2 years from returning to winning the title.

From there he had good matches with the likes of JBL, but was by all accounts gubbed physically and emotionally.

Wrestling wise, his feud with Kurt Angle in 2004 was a pretty good one. It was one of the better matches on both the WMXX and Summerslam cards.

The JBL matches was pretty dire in all honestly. Take away THAT chairshot and the subsequent bloodbath and Judgment Day '04 was a very pedestrian affair. The GAB Texas Bullrope match was extremely plodding as well. Ordinarily, you'd have the smaller guy Eddie picking up the pace against the larger JBL (it's what helped against Lesnar, who could keep up as well), but Eddie slowed himself to JBL's speed, which contrasted noticeably to the matches he had with guys like Angle, Rey, Benoit etc. Obviously, JBL is no Benoit but it was all pretty mundane. Actually, JBL had a cracker with Rey at No Mercy 05, it was everything Eddie/JBL should have been.

And yeah, Lesnar vs. Eddie was amazing. I wish they had found some way to progress the Lesnar/Goldberg feud without Big Bill interfering, that does taint it slightly for me.

I thought Eddie was absolutely phenomenal from 04 to his death. He became a much better all-round performer and could carry a main event match. I'm probably in the minority but I loved the Rey feud. I could watch those two work all day long. Their 2005 Wrestlemania, Judgement Day, Great American Bash and the Summerslam ladder match were all great. They had a belter on Smackdown in June 05 too and a decent cage match in September of that year. I like the JBL Judgment Day match a lot more now than I did at the time as well. It's clear JBL had no stamina but they really draw the crowd into the drama and the blade job still has impact. I can see why a lot of people don't like it, though.

According to Holly Eddie would get up from lying down about ten minutes before his match, drink an energy drink and then go and perform like nothing was wrong. When he came back through the curtain he'd just go right back down to lying down for a while. Very sad stuff.