Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Just been looking a bit lately at some of the WWE/World Champions over the last 6 years or so and it really is astonishing to think now that The Miz and Jack Swagger especially were World Champions.

I think that sort of title reign won't happen anymore now we're back to having one belt, it was a lot easier to give someone an experimental run on one belt while a bigger draw held the other but it didn't really produce the best results. Now we only have the one big title I think they're going to be pretty sure about a guy before they stick it on him.

He was, but it was met with a very sniffy response from film fans; 'he's not a good actor', 'he's not a real actor' and 'he just attaches himself to sure fire franchises'.

I think it annoys film purists that the casual cinema going audience have been so willing to forget that he's just a 'fake wrestler playing at acting'.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Just been looking a bit lately at some of the WWE/World Champions over the last 6 years or so and it really is astonishing to think now that The Miz and Jack Swagger especially were World Champions.

It's equally mad that the likes of Edge and Randy Orton have more world title reigns between them (23, I think) than a laundry list of greats put together. I'm pretty sure Savage, Warrior, Piper, Goldberg, Hart, Michaels, Foley, Austin, and Undertaker have less than that between them.

Has anyone been back over the last twelve years and totted up the world title reigns including only the primary belt? It's been pretty easy to discern which one of the spinner and Big Gold was the 'real' title since about Mania 21. Would allow much fairer comparison of those who came to prominence over the last decade with those from previous eras. For example Edge only held the WWE title 4 times, rather than 11, which is a little more explicable next to Austin's 6.

The WWE title has changed hands 50 times since the World Title was introduced in 2002. I'm including Lesnar's first reign in that.

In comparison there's been 55 different reigns of the World Heavyweight championship since 2002.

Included in these figures are the reigns since the belts were unified in December.

Never realised how big a star The Rock actually is outside of wrestling, in the last 12 hours I've seen him mentioned on Football365 and Robert Evans' second autobiography (which admittedly wasn't published in the last 12 hours)

I don't know a single person under 40 who doesn't know who The Rock is.

• Paid Members
He was, but it was met with a very sniffy response from film fans; 'he's not a good actor', 'he's not a real actor' and 'he just attaches himself to sure fire franchises'.

I think it annoys film purists that the casual cinema going audience have been so willing to forget that he's just a 'fake wrestler playing at acting'.

Forbes wrote several articles last year with various quotes from Hollywood A-Listers about how The Rock is seen as a franchise saviour within that industry and that if you've pitched a series of films and the first one tanked then Dwayne is the man you call to get it back on track.

Considering the success of Journey 2, GI Joe and Fast and The Furious it seems to be true.

• Paid Members

I know we've probably had this discussion a million times before, but can anyone remember those TNA figures they used to pump out by the millions back in 2005/06? You couldn't get moved for them in the supermarkets and toy shops up here (and you never get anything decent in Sunderland). Everyone who passed through TNA's doors had a figure out. There was more Monty Browns available than Batistas in our town. From Chase Stevens and Lance Hoyt to AJ Styles and Sting. There was even a cool little Sinister Minister as well. They were awesome I thought. Cartoony is a charming way. And TNA weren't really anything at the time in the grand scheme of things. The figures pre-dated their Spike deal I believe. They never really got a good deal like that again. The Jakks figures weren't much cop. I dont know why they had so much awareness to get a deal where they'd have so much stuff on the market internationally.

For me, seeing a companies shit in shops is the true measuring stick of success. I was out of wrestling for a bit in the mid-2000s, and I remember thinking "Christ TNA must be a big deal. There's a Road Dogg in Morrisons".

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

That Hernandez looks exactly like him. Great figure that. Never liked the look of the Jakks figures.

I totally get the WCW connection. Seeing all the TNA figures reminded me so much of when WCW pumped a load of merch over here in the dying days. WCW was dead in 2000. Nobody gave a shit and their videos were getting outsold by FMW imports of all things. But they still had figures all over the place. I remember buying a Hollywood Hogan in a directors chair with a megaphone from ASDA for about 2 quid when the Invasion was going on. Actually remember delivering leaflets for my college back in 2001 a few months after WCW had died and me and a mate popped into a shop in Roker and they had WCW stuff all over the place. Giant figures with electronic shitty games in the middle of their chests and Goldberg skateboards and all kinds. Seeing all this WCW stuff with DDP's face all over it (as the stalker angle was going on) was like the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. I'll never forget all this WCW stuff in that shop. I can only assume they'd got all this stuff in and it never got sold.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay