The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hasn't been much cop. The Smashes has been vastly superior and even the American fans are saying the same despite being neutral in the UK vs Aus battle.

TUF 16 was already pretty cack, not many guys in there that you really want to root for, some shit fights (there has been a couple of really good ones as well to be fair). And now add to that the coaches fight is off. There's really nothing compelling me to stick with it at this point. I'll keep watching out of habit but it has been a(nother) poor, cold, lifeless season.

Not quite as bad as TUF Live though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

last week's show was as poor as it's got this season, ive never been a fan of the 2 fights per episode shows but when they are 2 poor fights (one in particular) it kills the show dead :(

Shane Carwin has to be the worst TUF coach ever, im a Carwin fan but there is literally no point in him being there :(

Nelson at least is in the corner of his fighters and is barking out instructions. He has provided some decent moments when he throws a strop about his fighters not listening to him, too. Carwin is a cool dude, but just stands with his fighters for every match. His reasoning is fine (ie, "I have people who actually know how to coach"), but its not good TV. I litterally cant think of a single thing Carwin has done in the entire season. No interactions/banter at all with Nelson, no motivational speeches, no pranks, hardly any interaction with his fighters. Again, Carwin seems a top bloke, but in terms of TV hes dire.

All four of the quarters were terrible. The Ricci one and the 'I do it for the troops' guy from last week were particularly brutal to watch, as they were both just way out of the league of their opponents on the mat.

• Paid Members

Ricci's probably the only bright spot of the season, not because he's a particuarly entertaining personality but he's probably gonna come into the UFC and pretty well for himself, he's been hyped for a good few years.

Dai nailed it on the subject of Carwin. I don't think Roy's come off to badly, they were on about his laziness earlier in the season and the coaches challenge was designed to bury him, but as it's gone on he's come off ok, his coaching in the corners has been a highlight of the season.

• Paid Members

As I said when the coaches were announced, Shane Carwin has all the personality of a potato. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but he doesn't have the kind of personality that translates well on a show like TUF.

I actually think overall Roy Nelson has been a good coach. He's got his own style and it's not typical, like everything else about him I suppose, but he gives his guys sound advice more often than not. Dana's put out a little smear campaign against him because he's jealous he can't grow hair like Roy and that Roy can be both fat and hard, whereas Dana's just fat. That's all it is.

Roy's been coaching fighters since before he was actually fighting. And for entertainment, whether you like him or not, at least he's got something to say. He puts his opinions/coaching methods out there for people to agree or disagree with.

shane-carwin-roy-nelson-dana-white-230x180.jpg

There's just nothing to work with where Carwin's concerned.

Ricci's probably the only bright spot of the season, not because he's a particuarly entertaining personality but he's probably gonna come into the UFC and pretty well for himself, he's been hyped for a good few years.

I've come through this season to find myself becoming a pretty big Ricci fan. He epitomises the modern MMA fighter in my opinion, and it also helps that he's fighting Colton "did I mention that I'm in the armed forces?" Smith. I really hope Ricci puts him down and out cold.

Not a bad season in my opinion, with some decent fights (even if there weren't many finishes).

Is Carwin still coaching on this? Shouldnt Mitrione have come in and replaced him as in past seasons with Ortiz and Franklin?

I've been glued to TUF Smashes and I'm looking forward to Pearson vs Sots and Fletcher bagging a contract but Big Country vs Meathead has also captured my imagine as I was one of the few TUF 10 fans and all it's fighters. Has there ever been a better team than TEAM RASHAD!!!

• Paid Members

Yeah, Mitrione couldn't have taught the team much, most of the guys in the house are more experienced than him. But he'd be good TV and he's been through TUF himself so he could advise them from that point of view.

Only just remembered that Nelson and Mitrione were actually team mates on TUF 10 weren't they? I'm sure they were both on Team Rashad.

Only just remembered that Nelson and Mitrione were actually team mates on TUF 10 weren't they? I'm sure they were both on Team Rashad.

Pretty sure they both were. Nelson definately was as he beat Kimbo in the first round, and Kimbo was Rampage's first pick. I'm sure I remember Big Baby squaring up to Mitrione on the show, and Jones was also on Team Rampage.

Archived