The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

• Paid Members
You need a dickhead like that sometimes though don't you. It's fun watching them get humbled. The episode in season 8 where Efrain finally beat down Junie was one of the most satisfying hour's viewing I've ever spent.

Oh, absolutely. I couldn't agree more. Junie's eventual defeat wrapped up one of the most entertaining and satisfying stories in Ultimate Fighter history. It's probably only second to the aforementioned Bisping knock out at the hands of Dan Henderson. The whole thing, from what a massive tit he was, to how Dana refused to kick him off the show no matter what, to the eventual loss, it was absolutely perfect. I still remember Dana's smile when he finally lost. Just brilliant, brilliant TV.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
You need a dickhead like that sometimes though don't you. It's fun watching them get humbled. The episode in season 8 where Efrain finally beat down Junie was one of the most satisfying hour's viewing I've ever spent. Same to a slightly lesser extent when he beat Junie's sidekick Shane Nelson.

Stuff like that makes TUF. The one exception to this was when Tony Ferguson (the twat of season 13) actually went on to win the whole thing. I'm still waiting for him to get his comeuppance. He lost his last fight but I want to see him get a proper Iron Sheik humbling.

oh yeh, i loves me a dickhead.

It's now switched and it looks like Matt is the dickhead of the season though, right mouthy fucker, seemed to be stirring shit for no reason.

Surprising fight again (both first picks out!), i don't think Sam Alvey knows what hit him, Joey Rivera took it too him, dominated the opener then beat Alvey to the punch in round 2 and basically stifled anything Alvey attempted. Don't know how Alvey think's he won both rounds, the first was a wash outside the last 10 seconds. Alvey's got a fucking chin on him mind.

Joey Rivera seems like a real cool cat though, he's gonna be a fan favorite for sure.

• Paid Members

Hugo 'Wolverine' Viana vs Reuben Duran for the finale.

Good fight that. Duran has been out a while but I remember him having a really good fight with Francisco Rivera a while back on the prelims.

Viana was one of my favourites on TUF Brazil. He fought well on the show but was one of the smallest 145ers there. He's dropping to 135 for this and I think that's a great move for him.

It's a fight that probably won't get much discussion going in but I think it could be a sleeper. Really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

thoughts on the Nelson/White discussion at the end of episode 4? What was Nelson trying to achieve with that? If they questioned Bristol's weight on weigh-in day, why didnt they mention anything thing then? just a weird situation.

Also have to question Julien's decision to pick Bristol, he's clearly not in great shape and he picks to fight one of the top picks in the house? maybe he just thought he'd go for broke but it didn't seem a smart decision.

• Paid Members

Mohawk looked shit. I love it. All the mouthing off and being an irritating shit, then cockily picks Bristol and loses. It was a sloppy fight and I didn't think Bristol looked particularly good either, but I enjoyed it because Shitehawk lost.

Roy's moaning at the end was odd, what did he hope to achieve by bringing it up then? Then throwing in the comment "Do you want me to oversee and make sure the Commission do their job", something like that. Ha, I can't decide if Roy's just trolling Dana or if he's just thick as pig shit.

Next week looks good with Mohawk's breakdown and Ricci the accountant slapping hats off and demanding his bed back.

Just watched the latest episode of this, and I really hate to pick on the guy, but Dana came off at the end sounding like a complete idiot. Anyone who saw that fight between Araujo and Webb really shouldn't have any qualms about the first frame being judged as a 10-8 round. Araujo completely dominated the round from the first bell. He got the big takedown in the first twenty seconds or so and completely overwhelmed Webb on the grappling front.

White claimed that there wasn't "enough damage" done. What does that mean? If Araujo had managed to cut Webb with one elbow it would have been a 10-8 round? It was complete domination, and that warrants a 10-8 in my mind. Two of the judges saw it that way, and to suggest that Webb deserved a third after what he did in the 2nd frame is a joke.

Just watched the latest episode of this, and I really hate to pick on the guy, but Dana came off at the end sounding like a complete idiot. Anyone who saw that fight between Araujo and Webb really shouldn't have any qualms about the first frame being judged as a 10-8 round. Araujo completely dominated the round from the first bell. He got the big takedown in the first twenty seconds or so and completely overwhelmed Webb on the grappling front.

As soon as it was a majority decision, I knew that it was a 10-8 in the first round and completely agreed with it. Whether you agree with that score or not, it should have been fairly easy to see why it was given.

Webb did fuck all in that first round. It was a complete domination. I don't know how that can't be seen as a 10-8.

• Paid Members

Just watched this & agree the first round was a 10-8. Webb didn't want any part of it & I thought he was looking to quit without tapping. He didn't attempt to improve his position, gave up his back voluntarily & then ignored Nelson's advice completely when he could've escaped Araujo's high rear choke attempt. For me, a round that one sided with the winner being constantly active is a clear 10-8.

• Paid Members

It defo warranted a 10-8. The 10-8 rule isn't about damage anyway. It helps obviously but in the very scoring criteria the rounds are judged by, a 10-8 is given when a round is so one sided the loser of the round doesn't earn 9 points. A common misconception about 10-8's is that a 10-8 round is when you nearly finish the guy, it's not. It's always been supposed to be for dominant rounds where the loser got little or no offence in. So a Fitch round where he holds a guy down and smothers him with no offence from the other guy should be 10-8 to Fitch. But a round where a guy loses 4 minutes and then badly rocks the opponent shouldn't get him a 10-8. You'd most likely steal the round 10-9 but it's not a "dominant round". That's the way I've always interpreted it anyway. A recent example was Wandy vs Franklin 2 where Franklin won a good 4 minutes of the second round, Wand battered him almost to a stoppage for 1 minute at the end so he nicked the round. But it's not a 10-8 for 60 seconds of offence. It's different in Boxing but a knockdown or something deemed "close to finishing" in MMA doesn't mean the round should be scored 10-8 under the current rules. I've gone off track...yeah it should have been a 10-8. Dana needs to read the UFC rulebook.

• Paid Members

Yeah, by the way judges usually score that should have gone to a third, but by the basic logic of what scoring is meant to achieve it was the right result. Leaving aside the point that a two round fight with scoring is inherently dumb, any sensible system should distinguish between those two rounds. This particular fight with five minutes control for A, then three minutes for B and two minutes for A is about as close to a perfect example of how 10 point must simply doesn't work unless the judges are able to give 10-8s when a round is clearly one-sided.

• Paid Members

cracking fight this week, the decision shocked me until i heard the 10-8 verdict, i wasnt even thinking 10-8 as the round was happening but i guess there's a case for that...i think Colton would have won round 3 anyways.

...oh and if anyone here gets annoyed at Brian Stann and Tim Kennedy's constant military shout outs, wait till Colton Smith might very well drive you mad.

Archived