The Ultimate Fighter: Carwin vs. Nelson series

The Natural

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Being reported now that Carwin doesn't need surgery and is eyeing a February return. http://www.bjpenn.com/update-shane-

Glad that isn't the end for him. He's not going to make much of a wave, but it would have been a shitty way to go out.

On the other side of the coin, I really felt Carwin was a good fight for Roy and he's a decent name, so a win would have bumped Roy up a bit. Now with Carwin out, there's not a great deal left, I'm thinking were looking at a Struve or Hunt, which are a step down below Carwin, but both dangerous fights.

Daniel Cormier anyone?

• Paid Members

I think Nelson beats Mitrione quite handily. Meathead's done exceptionally well for a guy who came right into the UFC with no professional MMA experience under his belt, but I don't think he beats Roy anywhere to be honest. I think Roy can handle what Meathead brings on the feet but I don't see Meathead living with Nelson at all if it hits the ground.

I'll take Roy to control him on the ground for a points win or possible submission.

Yeah I just see Roy dominating if he chooses to take it to the ground, go for his usual mounted crucifix and get the stoppage. He should beat him standing as well.

I'm just disappointed that it leaves Phil DeFries without an opponent for the New Years show. I thought Meathead was a great match up for him style wise and a very winnable fight (Mitrone wouldn't have lasted a round had Phil got the takedown) plus most of all it was a name value fight, people know who Mitrione is and whomever his replacement (be it a Shawn Jordan or a Mike Russow) - won't be.

• Paid Members

i fancy Mitrione if he decides to use his superior speed and just pops the jab into Nelson's grill and stays out of range of Nelson's power and takedown...i don't give him a shot anywhere else in this fight though.

• Paid Members
I'm just disappointed that it leaves Phil DeFries without an opponent for the New Years show. I thought Meathead was a great match up for him style wise and a very winnable fight (Mitrone wouldn't have lasted a round had Phil got the takedown) plus most of all it was a name value fight, people know who Mitrione is and whomever his replacement (be it a Shawn Jordan or a Mike Russow) - won't be.

I forgot all about De Fries vs Mitrione next month. That could have been a good fight for De Fries. I think De Fries vs Kongo would be a good substitute. Kongo's a better striker than Meathead would have been but, like Meathead, Kongo isn't the best grappler and De Fries could exploit that if he got him down. It's a similar fight in that respect so maybe they'll do that.

Plus Kongo is a decent name.

Archived